maddprophet
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject:

"yo adrian!!!!!!"
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject:

i still think clay was the best fighter in the world.... even better than the real rocky....

if it werent for tyson's legal and mental problems..and If he had determined work ethic he could have been regarded as one of the greatest of all time even eclipsing ali....
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject:

Question: in Rocky IV, when drago was pummeling apollo, why the hell didn't rocky throw in the towel? Fool was just standing there in shock. Plus, I think the ref was in on it, he was supposed to stop the fight. Dude should get locked in a moscow prison for at least 10 years.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject:

LALakers999 wrote:
i still think clay was the best fighter in the world.... even better than the real rocky....

if it werent for tyson's legal and mental problems..and If he had determined work ethic he could have been regarded as one of the greatest of all time even eclipsing ali....

I'd give Ali a vote for the greatest heavyweight, though I think Rocky Marciano would have been Smokin' Joe Part II... defeating Ali at least one if given two or three matches. Vastly different fighters, too bad they were from different eras. Marciano would have worn Ali down with body punches, and though Marciano could take a beating, Ali's jabs would have left his face a bloody pulp.

I give the nod to Ali because of the competition in his heyday (Smokin' Joe, Foreman, Norton and Quarry) though frankly I still don't see how Liston went down that second time. And yes, I've seen Joe Louis tapes and know what short range impact can do to a man. I'm not sure if it was a favor to the underworld as much as Liston was being humiliated by someone who fought like a lightweight.

Tyson... No. Doesn't deserve to be mentioned with these guys. In his prime, he never figured out how to fight tall opponents with reach.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject:

God help me, I think I'm going to go see the movie tonight.

Oh, and ^^^ I think EARLY Tyson showed the potential for lasting greatness. IIRC (and correct me if I'm wrong), wasn't Bonecrusher Smith about 6'3", 6'4"? Bigger-reach fighter right there.

In his first 25 fights, guys were just so freaking scared by Tyson's ferocity and hand-speed that no one tried to jab him off.

Of cours,e the biggest problem (aside from the conviction) was that Tyson's last 10 fights or so were so horribly, epic-level BAD that he wiped out all of the goodwill he had built up in the sport.

MIM
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject:

I'm a little embarrassed to admit I've been looking forward to this for a while. gonna go see it over the holiday

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject:

I want to see this movie too! I've read a few reviews and basically know what it's about but still, this is Rocky we're talking about. If you can't cheer for Rocky then you're not human.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject:

this one is actually getting some good reviews. i guess i'll be there tomorrow.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject:

I'm going tonight! I can't wait to see this. 8)
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject:

I just got back from watching this flick. I have to admit, I am really impressed with Sly. Great story, Great directing, Great acting, Great movie. I loved it, and if you are a fan of Rocky in any way, shape, or form...you won't be dissappointed.
mswift44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject:

TheRod wrote:
I just got back from watching this flick. I have to admit, I am really impressed with Sly. Great story, Great directing, Great acting, Great movie. I loved it, and if you are a fan of Rocky in any way, shape, or form...you won't be dissappointed.

I whole heartedly agree with you. I thought the movie was just beautfiul. It returned to what made the 1st movie so classic. This movie had so much heart and so many great moments. Much props to Sly for finally giving Rocky the send off he deserves. I will be watching this again this weekend.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject:

My friends and I are going to have a Rocky marathon before we see the new one. We're gonna watch Rocky 1-5 for like 10 hours straight.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject:

madsen35 wrote:
My friends and I are going to have a Rocky marathon before we see the new one. We're gonna watch Rocky 1-5 for like 10 hours straight.
there's an idea...I did get the box set for my bday a few years back....

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject:

I'm hearing mostly positive reviews on this movie. I don't go to movies very much at all (I think Kill Bill 2 was the last one?) but I'll definitely be going to see this one.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject:

Went and saw this last night and mostly agree with TheRod.

First off, this is not a plotless punching movie. Early on the movie invests a lot in developing what's happened since the last movie. It almost spends too much time doing this, but it really works well because it's all about character development. By the way, you don't go to a Rocky movie for this, but the lighting and camera work outside of the ring throughout the movie was outstanding. The shots of Philly were amazing and the city really comes alive in this movie.

The actual boxing was on the weaker side. It's never been realistic, but it's just not very well coreographed in this one compared to the others. Probably because Stallone doesn't move so well anymore, though that makes sense with the character as well. The ending felt a bit rushed and unformed, but does sort of bring things full circle.

If you're a Rocky fan, you've gotta see it. It's got everything. The music, the quotes, the flashbacks, the workout montage, etc. Solid movie all around.
Big Money
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject:

best part was when he met Little Mary's son for the first time.
B_Rabbit1212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
they should have killed this franchise when it hit its hight note: Rocky ends the cold war by beating drago.

And I must admit, the hype has gotten to me. I couldn't believe they were releasing another Rocky with Rocky actually fighting, its just soooo...... stupid.

But, I've succumbed to media pressure. I'll be there.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject:

I can't bleeping wait. My wife refuses to see it with me but I will grab one of my brothers and go see this.

I pretty much dig all of them except for 3. I hate pro (fake) wrestling almost as much as I hate the Raiders (which is a lot) so the whole Hulk Hogan thing bored me.

Another quote from the epic film called "Rocky IV":

"YOU CAN'T WIN!"

As much as I've always loved Adrian, I hated her when she said that.
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject:

I went to the movie last night. GREAT MOVIE!!
Good storyline and it ended the way it should have. I would rank it just behind Rocky 4 as my favorite.

1. Rocky 4 (Russian)
2. Rocky Balboa
3. Rocky 3 (Mr. T)
4. Rocky 2 (Apollo)
5. Rocky 1 (Apollo)
6. Rocky 5 (Tommy Gunn)
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
No.

The first Rocky was a very charming and at times understated, if that is somehow possible for a movie about boxing. The second Rocky wasn't as good as the first, but it was a solid (if predictable) sequel. The third rounded the story out well, with a seeming conclusion to his career as a boxer... though the theme was at that point too repetitive, to the point where the character couldn't grow. And that is why the Rocky movies afterward were crap... Stallone can't let the character grow just as he hasn't been able to grow as an artist after that first auspicious movie. The Rocky movies (after III) are all crafted from the stagnant formula, with lapses into banal sentimentality.

AP - This one is worth it. I've seen it twice. It's really touching. If you liked any of the Rocky movies and Stallone's potrayal - you should watch this one. It's worth it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject:

I've seen it twice now and it gets better every time. I'll definitely be asking for it for my b-day!
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject:

I finally got to see the movie yesterday. Excellent movie!

The flashbacks were great. I've always liked Adrian (especially in #1) and I didn't like that they "killed" her off but it actually worked well. I want to talk more about it but I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

I'd rate this as either the 2nd or 3rd best one, behind #1 and with #4.

Did I mention it was an excellent movie?
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Great movies, sometimes, are like notable happenings, when they first come out... I think many people can remember where they were...

I remember, I was in this little Mexican Restaurant, in Florida.... Just finsished my meal, and, I think I was toying with my Mexican Coffee, or margarita... I'm looking at this movie marquee, and it's flashing "Rocky"... I'm feeling down, and out... I was in the Navy.. I'm thinking... "Rocky, hmmm, I think I heard about this movie... Maybe, I'll try it out..." I tried it out, and the rest is history...Couldn't resist all the sequels...

One of my favorite movie sequences, in one of the sequels... Adrian, and Rocky, are at the beach... Rocky is having his doubts... Adrian vents her mind... Rocky: "How did you get so tough??" Adrian: "I married a fighter"...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: