iPhone
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject:

The touch screen sounds and looks cool... but I need to use one first... I'm disappointed on the memory size. 8gigs... they have to do better than that. I hate that it's not 'open'. I guess what I like most about it is the software running it, OS X (how it handles listening to music, switching to phone, and sending an eMail at the same time... that is sweet. (see Jobs keynote speech,.. very hot). I do like the way it looks.. but it looks big (glad it is bluetooth). Very very very disappointed that it is not 3G... why. That SUCKS,... they dropped the ball on that.. but that could be a Cingular thing. Either way, that sucks....

Is very very nice for the first offering.... now let's wait until it is released... and then wait for the reports on how it 'freezes'... LOL...

I'm all over Apple TV

Last edited by TACH on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject:

I am sure there will be a lot of bugs in the first issue of this iPhone. I think the first people to get it will get it just for the status symbol, but it'd be wiser to hold off until at least the second generation of the iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
The touch screen sounds and looks cool... but I need to use one first... I'm disappointed on the memory size. 8gigs... they have to do better than that. I hate that it's not 'open'. I guess what I like most about it is the software running it, OS X (how it handles listening to music, switching to phone, and sending an eMail at the same time... that is sweet. (see Jobs keynote speech,.. very hot). I do like the way it looks.. but it looks big (glad it is bluetooth). Very very very disappointed that it is not 3G... why. That SUCKS,... they dropped the ball on that.. but that could be a Cingular thing. Either way, that sucks....

Is very very nice for the first offering.... now let's wait until it is released... and then wait for the reports on how it 'freezes'... LOL...

I'm all over Apple TV

Apple TV will change living rooms. say goodbye to the video store. that business is done. (sucks because i work at one ). this also spells doom for the netflix/blockbuster online business. all your media...on your tv.

you don't even need a stereo anymore with this product. just a tv with a good surround sound system. can't wait to get this. and for those of us who know how to convert pretty much any file to itunes friendly format...we don't even need to start purchasing our media thru itunes.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
TACH wrote:

I'm all over Apple TV

Apple TV will change living rooms. say goodbye to the video store. that business is done. (sucks because i work at one ). this also spells doom for the netflix/blockbuster online business. all your media...on your tv.

you don't even need a stereo anymore with this product. just a tv with a good surround sound system. can't wait to get this. and for those of us who know how to convert pretty much any file to itunes friendly format...we don't even need to start purchasing our media thru itunes.

Tell me about it... be it Apple TV or XBL Movie download service.

Apple TV will complete my 'media center'. I current have:

iSquint - Converts almost any video to iPod format
Handshake - To 'back-up' my DVDs
TVMax - PVR for the iMac to record TV/Cable
iTunes - To handle/manage all music and video
Tivo - We all know what that is (used by the significant other 99% of the time)
TivoDecode Manager - Allows me to move content from Tivo to the iMac. It will also encode into different file formats (including iPod)

Only thing missing is Apple TV type device

There is no need to jump into the Blu-Ray Vs HD-DVD player fight.

The new Airport Express is nice too... you can plug an external hard-drive/jump-drive directly into it (via USB),.. giving all computers on the network easy access to the drive.

Last edited by TACH on Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
ocho wrote:
TACH wrote:

I'm all over Apple TV

Tell me about it... be it Apple TV or XBL Movie download service.

Apple TV will complete my 'media center'. I current have:

iSquint - Converts almost any video to iPod format
Handshake - To 'back-up' my DVDs
TVMax - PVR for the iMac to record TV/Cable
iTunes - To handle/manage all music and video
Tivo - We all know what that is (used by the significant other 99% of the time)
TivoDecode Manager - Allows me to move content off Tivo and move files to the iMac. It will all encode into different file formats (including iPod)

Only thing missing is Apple TV type device

There is no need to jump into the Blu-Ray Vs HD-DVD player fight.

The new Airport Express is nice too... you can plug an external hard-drive/jump-drive directly into it (via USB),.. giving all computers on the network easy access to the drive.

PARTY AT TACH'S HOUSE!!!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject:

Here is a NY Times review of the iPhone:

NY Times article

Some highlights:

Quote:
Both in the onstage demo and during my hands-on hour, the Web speed was OK—not great, but OK.

Quote:
The Web browsing experience is incredible. You see the entire Web page on the iPhone’s screen.

Quote:
I tried out the camera. It was really cool to frame a shot using the HUGE 3.5-inch screen

Quote:
The phone won’t be available until June, so some of its software isn’t finished yet.

Quote:
Typing is difficult.

Quote:
During my one test call, the sound quality was loud and clear

Quote:
You operate the iPhone with your fingertips. Apart from buttons that appear on the touch screen, the only physical buttons are volume up/down, ringer on/off, sleep/wake and a Home button.

Quote:
It feels amazing in your hand. Not like an iPod, not like a Treo — but something new.

The entire article is available through the link. What I posted here is just tidbits, not the entire article.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject:

The Apple TV sounds very cool in theory. The issue with any of that kind of device is going to be getting it to stream in close to real-time. I think I heard it uses 802.11n, so that's good for speed, but I know I don't have any 802.11n devices in my place .

Ideally it'd be cool if it was somewhat like the Tivo in having its own UI and you could run iTunes directly off of it. I'd like to download stuff directly onto the Apple TV hard drive so I don't have to download it to my computer and then stream it to the Apple TV box. I've heard this isn't really possible today - happy to be corrected - but it would be nice to eliminate that step.
B_Rabbit1212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject:

ok couple questions for all here.

i keep hearing 3g... what is that?

and can someone please explain appleTV to me as well?
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject:

B_Rabbit1212 wrote:
ok couple questions for all here.

i keep hearing 3g... what is that?

and can someone please explain appleTV to me as well?

Rather than wright it all out, here are two good places that talk about both of those subjects.

3G: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3G

Apple TV: http://reviews.cnet.com/Apple_TV/4505-3135_7-32306442.html
B_Rabbit1212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject:

^thanks Socks
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
The Apple TV sounds very cool in theory. The issue with any of that kind of device is going to be getting it to stream in close to real-time. I think I heard it uses 802.11n, so that's good for speed, but I know I don't have any 802.11n devices in my place .

Ideally it'd be cool if it was somewhat like the Tivo in having its own UI and you could run iTunes directly off of it. I'd like to download stuff directly onto the Apple TV hard drive so I don't have to download it to my computer and then stream it to the Apple TV box. I've heard this isn't really possible today - happy to be corrected - but it would be nice to eliminate that step.

I wouldn't be surprise if a 'Tivo' like device becomes an accessory/add on (search TVMax by Miglia).

As for the stream... I have an external hard-drive connected to a PC where most of my music is stored. Via the network, I'm able to access the external drive from my iMac and iTunes and listen to those files. I never had a performance issue (unless the network went down).

Also, turns out all new Apple products (iMac, MacBook, etc.) are already 802.11n compliant (not sure if that is the proper term), it's just not enabled.

Coincidentally, Apple also release a new/updated version of the Airport Extreme (router). It is 802.11n draft and has a USB port for an external harddrive/jumpdrive. It comes with software to enable the 802.11n on all new Apple products as well.

In July, Apple was @ $50, today, $97 CHART
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject:

i hate mac's...sorry.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
i hate mac's...sorry.

neither products discussed in this thread have anything to do with macs.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
i hate mac's...sorry.

Don't be so hard on him. That's just Canadian for "I have no idea what you Yanks are discussing". Since the subject matter has nothing to do with hockey, timber products, or blackberries, it's easy to see why he'd be lost.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Quote:
Jobs unwraps the iPhone
'Apple is going to reinvent the phone,' CEO says
By Rex Crum & Stacey Delo, MarketWatch

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Apple Computer Inc. Chief Executive Steve Jobs on Tuesday unveiled the iPhone, its new touch-screen mobile phone that will be able to play music, surf the Internet and take pictures, among other features.

"Apple is going to reinvent the phone," Jobs said during his keynote speech at Macworld. "After today, nobody is going to look at these [other mobile phones] the same way again." The phone, to be available in June, will use new "multitouch" technology, Jobs added, calling the phone the "ultimate digital device." It will have a 3.5-inch diagonal screen and be 11.6 millimeters thick. Apple's iPod technology is built into the phone.

Among its features, Apple said that the phone will have a 2-megapixel camera, instant text-messaging capacity, sync with iTunes and use a visual voice-mail system, which will allow users to read a list of people who called. Also designed into the phone: Google Inc.'s search engine, Yahoo e-mail and Google Maps.

Cingular Wireless will provide the wireless service for the phone, according to the company. Other Macworld announcements included the Apple TV, which was previously dubbed iTV.

It will feature a 40GB hard drive and be able to store up to 50 hours of video. The device can stream to five personal computers, and will be able to hold movies, television shows, music and photographs. Apple TV will be priced at $299 and begin shipping in February, Jobs said. Jobs also announced that Apple has sold more than 2 billion songs through its iTunes music store, and that it expects to reach 100 million iPod unit sales this year.

ITunes has become the fourth-largest seller of music online, surpassing Amazon.com Inc. , Jobs added. Apple plans to partner with Viacom Inc.'s Paramount Pictures to sell movies on iTunes.
Shares of Apple were last up 8% at $92.42.

my Cingular provider is the service for this phone. so that has to mean I will see those phones on the Cingular site. and it thats the case. I get that LOVELY discount, plus the ONLINE discount. Whatever the retail is. I'm paying hundreds less. Come on. put it on the site already
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
i hate mac's...sorry.

anything to do with apple is wack to me.

props to their ceo and marketing team though. They have done an outstanding job.

Last edited by Vancouver Fan on Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
i hate mac's...sorry.

Don't be so hard on him. That's just Canadian for "I have no idea what you Yanks are discussing". Since the subject matter has nothing to do with hockey, timber products, or blackberries, it's easy to see why he'd be lost.

wow comedian in the house eh?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
24 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
i hate mac's...sorry.

wow comedian in the house eh?

At least I avoided the "eh". BTW, I love Canadians, at least while their husbands are off cutting down trees. Where do you think the term F an Eh comes from?!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject:

The other brilliant thing about this announcement is that it totally trumps whatever Microsoft was doing. The iPhone is the hot thing now, and it killed any talk about the Zune.

Microsoft finally comes out with an answer for the iPod, and Jobs just goes, "Wow, how cute. Nice job. Now let me show what an adult can do."
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject:

The iPhone is making the blogging rounds currently. Some of the negatives have already been brought up here, but here's a few more that I feel are valid points:

http://paul.kedrosky.com/archives/2007/01/10/the_five_bigges.html

Quote:
The closed system. Is Apple serious that it won't let third-party developers build software for the thing? If so, and put simply, the device will fail. A closed-box consumer electronics mentality will work in music players, but the future of mobile devices is as a platform, and that requires developers.

http://scobleizer.com/2007/01/10/the-iphone-reality-distortion-field/

Quote:
Battery is only two hours up to five hours and is not replaceable (if you play video). UPDATE: sorry for getting that wrong, but tons of people, including some Mac journalists told me it’d only get two hours in video playback mode. Watch a video and your battery is dead. Now your cell phone is dead too. So, you won’t want to watch a video on a plane flight with this thing like you would with your iPod.

The camera sucks. It’s a 2megapixel device without flash, without zoom. Nokia’s newest cameras blow this one away.

No GPS. For a $600 device that really, really, really sucks.

And finally, Apple appears to be big-time violating a trademark. Apparently Cisco owns the rights to the "iPhone" trademark and has been in discussions with Apple about using it and nothing was solidified, yet Apple decided they would go ahead and use it publicly anyway, so Cisco is suing. Cisco's general counsel talks about it here: http://blogs.cisco.com/news/2007/01/update_on_ciscos_iphone_tradem.html

I gotta agree with this comment:

Quote:
At MacWorld, Apple discussed the patents pending on their new phone technology. They clearly seem to value intellectual property. If the tables were turned, do you think Apple would allow someone to blatantly infringe on their rights? How would Apple react if someone launched a product called iPod but claimed it was ok to use the name because it used a different video format? Would that be ok? We know the answer – Apple is a very aggressive enforcer of their trademark rights. And that needs to be a two-way street.
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject:

How about Apple Records? The Beatles sued Apple but Apple won out because they had nothing to do with music at the time.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Lakersfield wrote:
How about Apple Records? The Beatles sued Apple but Apple won out because they had nothing to do with music at the time.

The Beatles have actually won over $50M worth of lawsuits against Apple over the years. Apple won the right to put the Apple logo on iTunes, and I gotta agree with that ruling. In fact, despite their wins I'd be on Apple's side in all of the lawsuits. IMHO, people don't really associate the Beatles' "Apple Records" with "Apple Computer" in any way shape or form. Though I guess if you look at the letter of the law, Apple basically had an agreement with Apple Records that they would never get into the music business and that has turned out to be pretty much an outright lie. No way they could've predicted it when they signed the agreement, but Apple is still pretty much violating that agreement.

This Cisco thing is completely different though. We're talking about a similar product although Cisco hasn't really done a damn thing with it - something that probably figures into Apple's decision to go forward, the hell with Cisco. But who's to say Cisco couldn't move full force into the consumer phone market directly competitive to Apple's iPhone next month?

Honestly, I'm kinda hoping Jobs gets slapped on this one to bring his ego down a notch, though I'm sure that won't happen. My guess is Apple will end up changing the name, much as they did with iTV to AppleTV.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject:

^^^Didn't Apple patent the letter "i"?
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
i hate mac's...sorry.

anything to do with apple is wack to me.

props to their ceo and marketing team though. They have done an outstanding job.
That's too bad... even Microsoft execs would disagree with you...

Quote:
There's a court case going on in Iowa, where the Mac-loving e-mail appeared last month. It's now available among plaintiff's documents, but readers need go no further than the next paragraph to read the entire e-mail.

Allchin, who is co-president of Microsoft's Platforms & Services Division, sent the e-mail to Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates and CEO Steve Ballmer on January 7, 2004:

"This is a rant. I'm sorry.

"I am not sure how the company lost sight of what matters to our customers (both business and home) the most, but in my view we lost our way. I think our teams lost sight of what bug-free means, what resilience means, what full scenarios mean, what security means, what performance means, how important current applications are, and really understanding what the most important problems are customers face are. I see lots of random features and some great vision, but that doesn't translate into great products.

"I would buy a Mac today if I was not working at Microsoft. If you run the equivalent of VPC [Virtual PC] on a Mac you get access to basically all Windows application software (although not the hardware). Apple did not lose their way. You must watch this new video below. I know this doesn't show anything for businesses, but my point is about the philosophy that Apple uses. They think scenario. They think simple. They think fast. I know there is nothing hugely deep in this.

"http: //www.apple.com/ilife/video/ilifeO432C.html [Note: Link is now dead]

"I must tell you everything in my soul tells me that we should do what I called plan (b) yesterday. We need a simple fast storage system. LH [Longhorn] is a pig and I don't see any solution to this problem. If we are to rise to the challenge of Linux and Apple, we need to start taking the lessons of 'scenario, simple, fast' to heart. Jim"

For more context, Allchin sent the e-mail to Ballmer and Gates the day following Jobs' 2004 Macworld keynote. Apple's CEO announced iPod mini and an updated iLife suite, with the new application GarageBand. Jobs articulated a very cohesive digital entertainment strategy with successful and beneficial integration--something Microsoft has been struggling to achieve.

The iLife `04 video Allchin referred to is no longer linked to on Apple's Web site, but you can find what I believe is the right video here. In watching the video, I had the "Wow" experience Microsoft promises with Windows Vista.

A few months after this e-mail, Microsoft reset the Windows Longhorn (now Vista) development clock to zero. The company restarted from the Windows Server code base. I assume this was the Plan B that Allchin referred to.

I also assume that Allchin called Longhorn "a pig," because of WinFS, the new file system Microsoft would later pull from the operating system.

In context, the "buy a Mac" statement doesn't mean what Jobs and others insinuated. It means something more.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject:

^^^ Ha - I remember that email - it somehow got circulated through Microsoft as well. I can't remember if the dates coincide but if I remember correctly, Allchin soon decided to "seek other opportunities".
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: