Barry Bonds failed a test for amphetamines

View previous topic :: View next topic  
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Barry Bonds failed a test for amphetamines

Career done?
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject:

What I despise the most about this is he blamed a teammate.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2727325

Quote:
When first informed of the positive test, Bonds attributed it to a substance he had taken from teammate Mark Sweeney's locker, the New York City newspaper said, citing several unnamed sources.

If it was Sweeney's, he's a rat. If it wasn't, he's lying to save his own ass. Barry disgusts me.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject:

I'm glad the Dodgers didn't get him.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject:

^^^ No kidding.

As far as his career, I think Barry goes ahead and breaks the record. He'll hit his 22 home runs and call it a career.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject:

this guy is a degenerate human being and i'm glad him and his buddy mark will never see the HOF.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject:

OK, but here's the question: will MLB do anything about it, or will they let the sportswriters decide years from now whether Bonds makes it into the Hall of Fame or not?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Barry should be in the Hall as should McGwire.
NappyFox
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:

You're kidding me right?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject:

NappyFox wrote:
Exick wrote:

You're kidding me right?

Both should be there. There seems to be evidence that Bonds has done something illegal, but not that McGwire did anything against the rules of baseball.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject:

NappyFox wrote:
Exick wrote:

You're kidding me right?

Nope.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
NappyFox wrote:
Exick wrote:

You're kidding me right?

Both should be there. There seems to be evidence that Bonds has done something illegal, but not that McGwire did anything against the rules of baseball.

I've never bought into the "rules of baseball" argument. Steroid use is illegal within the US and I would think the laws of the country where MLB resides should dictate the players' actions. There are probably millions of things that would get me fired at work that are never explicitly called out in the rules of conduct at my job. Same thing applies. These guys were doing something wrong and they knew they it. They and they alone are accountable for that.

As for evidence, it's fair enough to say these guys shouldn't be found guilty without an offical investigation by MLB. That said, it's the Baseball Writers' Association that elects people to the hall and there's enough circumstantial evidence out there where most of those writers have already dermined that these players used performance enhancing drugs to fuel a lot of the numbers they put up. Barring any official investigation that might clear them, the writers have to go on the circumstantial evidence and come to their own conclusions.

If you're of the belief that the illegal chemicals these guys took significantly improved their performance, all of their numbers are called into question. If you're using those numbers to determine whether they should be voted into the hall, it's hard to make heads or tails of them because they are a tainted sample. You might make the case that Barry was hall worthy pre-steroids, and that's a whole other discussion worthy of debate.

McGwire didn't make it this round, and he was well liked by the media before his horrible performance in congress. Bonds was disliked by the media and now they have a legit argument not to vote for him. I find it highly unlikely he gets in unless attitudes towards steroids use shift significantly.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject:

McGwire wasn't even close to being elected. He contributed much to help abused children. If a nice guy can't make it, I don't know what chance an unpopular guy like Bonds has. He had the talent not to get involved with performance enhancing drugs. It's sad to see this happening in baseball.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject:

I hate Bonds, but I hate hypocrisy even more.

Anyone who follows baseball knows that "greenies" were as much a part of the game as bats and gloves until last season or whatever when they started testing for it.

Just about every Saint in the Hall of Fame now was popping them regularly, you can bet on that. I include guys like Schmidt as proof of that. Hell, Lenny Dykstra was so wired he couldn't even sit on the bench when he played.

Bonds may have taken an upper or two. So have 90% of the players in the major leagues in the last 30 years I would estimate. Who really cares? Does it really matter?
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Anyone who follows baseball knows that "greenies" were as much a part of the game as bats and gloves until last season or whatever when they started testing for it.

Just about every Saint in the Hall of Fame now was popping them regularly, you can bet on that. I include guys like Schmidt as proof of that. Hell, Lenny Dykstra was so wired he couldn't even sit on the bench when he played.

Bonds may have taken an upper or two. So have 90% of the players in the major leagues in the last 30 years I would estimate. Who really cares? Does it really matter?

I don't think most people's argument against Barry getting into the Hall has to do with speed as it does with steroids, but the point still stands. No Big Mac, no Barry, no Sosa, no Bagwell, no Sheff, no Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho, no Pudge, no Juan Gone, no Rafi. If one of them doesn't get in, none of them do.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject:

Just as an FYI... 104 other players tested positive for amphetamines besides Barry Bonds... anybody know who they are?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I don't think most people's argument against Barry getting into the Hall has to do with speed as it does with steroids, but the point still stands. No Big Mac, no Barry, no Sosa, no Bagwell, no Sheff, no Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho, no Pudge, no Juan Gone, no Rafi. If one of them doesn't get in, none of them do.
No Rocket...
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Exick wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

No Rocket...

Indeed. Though I would put him in just to spite Red Sox fans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: