Fooling around with coworkers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Fooling around with coworkers

I heard an interesting theory from someone the other day. If a female wants to fool around with someone at work, she should target a married man. Why? A married man is going to be less likely to boast about the affair to other coworkers because he's got something to lose. Therefore, she can still remain a freak and her career is relatively safe from being tarnished by the gossip that would be associated with doing the same thing with a single guy.

I've always wondered why a woman would go out with a married man, but this seems pretty logical to me.
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Just say no to office romances!

(Speaking from experience.)
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject:

That's a ridiculous reason. And being married doesn't stop a man from bragging.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject:

Fooling around with co-workers?

I am for it.
Muad'Dib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Fooling around with co-workers?

I am for it.

Richard Jefferson?!?
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject:

In this day and age of sexual harrassment lawsuits, I don't think I'd recommend anyone "fooling around" with a coworker, whether married or single.

But the reason why people (both male and female) often find people who are available less attractive than those who aren't (whether they be married, engaged or just have a boyfriend/girlfriend) is because most people want what they can't (or aren't supposed to) have more than what they can have.
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject:

that's a no-no regardless...

RIP Jayden Odom
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject:

JIFISH wrote:
In this day and age of sexual harrassment lawsuits, I don't think I'd recommend anyone "fooling around" with a coworker, whether married or single.

But the reason why people (both male and female) often find people who are available less attractive than those who aren't (whether they be married, engaged or just have a boyfriend/girlfriend) is because most people want what they can't (or aren't supposed to) have more than what they can have.

I've been on the receiving end of sexual harassment, and it's no cake walk. It can make going to work living hell. I'm no model, but for some reason I've been targeted. Once it was good natured, and I went along with the overt advances because everyone knew the woman (my manager) was happily married and just liked to flirt aggressively with her younger co-workers. It was good for laughs, and we all enjoyed it.

However when someone is in a position of power and abuses it to try to get you in bed, it is harassment pure and simple. I had a boss at a Fortune 500 company who would complain about her marriage while we were on the road together, starting with an awkward moment after a few drinks at dinner. When it became obvious that I wasn't interested, I eventually had to leave the company. My career opportunities stalled from that moment, to the point where she sabotaged an advancement opportunity.

Another time it wasn't a VP, it was the CEO's secretary. She would invite me repeatedly to intimate weekend get togethers, and bragged to the other secretaries that she was going to get me in bed. Needless to say, if you mention that to a bunch of secretaries the entire company knows, placing you in an even more awkward position. At one point she got to the office early, locked my office door behind her, and proceeded to try things that were nothing less than pitiful.

Never fool around with a coworker. And if you're working close quarters with someone who might be interested, keep the conversations focused on business or something very non-personal.
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject:

that's very true...

RIP Jayden Odom
Lakers Dynasty 2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Try this - I do property management where a lot of big names stay including numerous Dodger players during the MLB season. My girlfriend met my boss, and they clicked, now my co-worker is my girlfriend.

I'm deeply in love with her and we have an insanely AMAZING relationship - the most forgiving women I've ever met. But anyways, we work together and there is always... hmh hum haha tension between us.... Tension that we settle every day after work.

But I see what you mean about the marriage stuff - I have a few friends who have had similar problem at our other prop's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject:

WRONG ME!!
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Dynasty 2000 wrote:
Try this - I do property management where a lot of big names stay including numerous Dodger players during the MLB season. My girlfriend met my boss, and they clicked, now my co-worker is my girlfriend.

I'm deeply in love with her and we have an insanely AMAZING relationship - the most forgiving women I've ever met. But anyways, we work together and there is always... hmh hum haha tension between us.... Tension that we settle every day after work.

But I see what you mean about the marriage stuff - I have a few friends who have had similar problem at our other prop's.

Yeah, but that's different. Your girlfriend became your co-worker, not vice versa.
Lakers Dynasty 2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject:

24KaratGold wrote:
Lakers Dynasty 2000 wrote:

Yeah, but that's different. Your girlfriend became your co-worker, not vice versa.

Yeah that's true - not trying to equate the situations, but it's still a potential problem - but like I said, she's an amazing girl and we're both extremely mature.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
JIFISH wrote:

I've been on the receiving end of sexual harassment, and it's no cake walk. It can make going to work living hell.

I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't. And given what you wrote in your previous post, I don't understand why you didn't file a complaint, why you had to leave the company, etc.

I was thinking more along the lines of the woman who filed a sexual harrassment charge against her company for failing to keep x-rated spam from her company e-mail address.
Quote:
Never fool around with a coworker. And if you're working close quarters with someone who might be interested, keep the conversations focused on business or something very non-personal.

And my advice was In this day and age of sexual harrassment lawsuits, I don't think I'd recommend anyone "fooling around" with a coworker, whether married or single.

So I believe we are in agreement on what not to do.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject:

there's a difference between fooling around with someone and maybe starting a relationship. it would take a lot of communication before doing anything to see how this could work out.

but I don't think I'd ever date one of my coworkers. especially at the place I work now. I'm by far the youngest person there, and the men are about 15-30 years my senior. I've been there five years and there was only one person I was remotely interested it. he doesn't work there anymore...hmm...

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
skumbag
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject:

hell I don't think I would date any of the females at work here. A lot of them are a bit fat for my taste, their butts sag too much, they wear too much makeups, and they like to drive relatively expensive cars (beemers) and prefer upscale restaurants. I'm more of a family man.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
JIFISH wrote:

I've been on the receiving end of sexual harassment, and it's no cake walk. It can make going to work living hell. I'm no model, but for some reason I've been targeted. Once it was good natured, and I went along with the overt advances because everyone knew the woman (my manager) was happily married and just liked to flirt aggressively with her younger co-workers. It was good for laughs, and we all enjoyed it.

However when someone is in a position of power and abuses it to try to get you in bed, it is harassment pure and simple. I had a boss at a Fortune 500 company who would complain about her marriage while we were on the road together, starting with an awkward moment after a few drinks at dinner. When it became obvious that I wasn't interested, I eventually had to leave the company. My career opportunities stalled from that moment, to the point where she sabotaged an advancement opportunity.

Another time it wasn't a VP, it was the CEO's secretary. She would invite me repeatedly to intimate weekend get togethers, and bragged to the other secretaries that she was going to get me in bed. Needless to say, if you mention that to a bunch of secretaries the entire company knows, placing you in an even more awkward position. At one point she got to the office early, locked my office door behind her, and proceeded to try things that were nothing less than pitiful.

DANG to you...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: