2019 LA Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 246, 247, 248  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
So why did Dave Roberts take out Kershaw again?

0ER, 10Ks through 6 innings. 97 pitches. Yep, let's yank our $30M a year pitcher for our oh so relialble bullpen...
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Pathetic, pen used to be the one area we could count on but this year?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
So why did Dave Roberts take out Kershaw again?

0ER, 10Ks through 6 innings. 97 pitches. Yep, let's yank our $30M a year pitcher for our oh so relialble bullpen...

Not only did he take out Kershaw, he took out Bellinger as well.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject:

2 errors in 7 consecutive games
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject:

welp, another game where it comes down to a battle of mediocre bullpens.

This certainly isn't championship baseball.

On another note, Matt Beaty makes the playoff roster right?

Who's dreading seeing Kike in the playoffs this year?

Luckily, we don't have to see Grandal, Utley, or Dozier anymore.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Ferguson needs to be sent back down to the minors and he needs to stay there for the rest of the year. Whatever mojo he had last year is gone.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject:

--Ferguson needs to GTFB to the minors. Just doesn't have it this year. Don't call him back up until rosters expand in September.

--Chargois is a joke. I could hit him.

--Beaty has to be on the postseason roster. Dude just gives a tough AB almost every time. Don't care who gets kicked off; he has to be on it.

--I'm sick of guys playing out of position. Sick of Joc at first base, and it's even affecting Muncy now, all his moving around. He can't even play first base right now. The defense is a major concern for me. JT has lost it at 3rd and has limited range now, Seager was an average SS at best before his surgery and appears to be even worse now, Muncy concerns me wherever he is, and Pollock is a clear step slow in CF and doesn't play the position as good as Verdugo did when he was out there.

We aren't winning the World Series with this bullpen (that's a 100% given), and I can't think of the last WS winner with a poor defense, either. We need to get this corrected. Maybe Dustin May can figure into the bullpen mix for the postseason. Or maybe he ends up starting and Urias stays in the 'pen. All I know is, we need to see some changes, or it isn't happening for us this season, regardless of the regular season record.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject:

Even though we won, last night’s game should be a wake ip call.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The LA Dodgers Target Royals Reliever Ian Kennedy in a Trade
Yes, this is about that Ian Kennedy, who is now a pretty good reliever
by Blake Williams
07/21/2019, 7:00 AM

If you haven’t noticed, Ian Kennedy is good now. The former starting pitcher, who has some history against the Dodgers, was converted to a reliever this season and has reinvented himself. He did so well the Royals named him their closer.

Since he’s a reliever who can get outs, the Dodgers should have interest in him.

If he’s acquired, Kennedy would immediately step into a high-leverage role and become their fill-in closer when Kenley Jansen is unavailable.

The Cost
The downside of Kennedy is he has an average annual value of $16.5 million through next season. The Royals would likely need to pay close to 55% of that to receive a mid-tier prospect back, according to Royals Review.

They could also attach another player like Jake Diekman, who the Dodgers have interest in, to help them get another or a better player back.

A deal for both of them, even with the Royals paying all of Kennedy’s salary, wouldn’t cost any of the top prospects. The deal would likely be headlined by a prospect or two in the seven to 15 range and completed with an upside flier. Think something like Edwin Rios or Dennis Santana plus Jeren Kendall and Cody Thomas.

Conclusion
Ian Kennedy is one of the best relievers no one is talking about. The Dodgers aren’t going to pay his entire salary, but if the Royals pay at least half of it and/or package him with Diekman, he would be a big acquisition for the Dodgers. Between Kennedy and Diekman, the Royals are probably the Dodgers’ most likely trade partner this season.

https://www.dodgersnation.com/the-la-dodgers-target-royals-reliever-ian-kennedy-in-a-trade/2019/07/21/
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Evaluating the Trade Value of LA Dodgers Starting Pitcher Ross Stripling

Stripling could be available to other teams as part of a larger-scale deal.
by Daniel Preciado
07/21/2019, 8:00 AM

Ross Stripling is a lot better of a pitcher than most give him credit for and would be, at the worst, a number 3 starter on most other teams. He also supplies the Dodgers with innings as somewhat of a combo arm, someone who can both start and relieve seemingly with ease of transition both ways.

At the moment, Strip looks like a formidable long man in the hunt for October, posting a 3.65 ERA and 3.42 DRA this season in 66 2/3 innings pitched. He has also been solid against left-handed pitching, which would also somewhat negate the need to bring a third lefty onto the postseason roster and still be able to keep a long man. Signature Dodger versatility at its finest.

Here are some proposed deals that fans sent in to be evaluated with Ross Stripling in mind:

Trade #1

Dodgers acquire: Felipe Vazquez
Pirates acquire: Ross Stripling, Tony Gonsolin, and Diego Cartaya

This proposal is pretty on-base with what the Pirates would probably request from the Dodgers, if not more. Ross Stripling was reported to be of interest to the Pirates in the off-season in a Francisco Cervelli deal that never came into fruition. Tony Gonsolin has tremendous upside still at the age of 25. Diego Cartaya, a recent international signee also presents fantastic upside behind the plate.

Trade #2

Dodgers acquire: Brad Hand
Indians acquire: Joc Pederson and Ross Stripling

First of all, the Dodgers would most likely never trade away this much value from their major league roster and the Indians most likely would never accept such a deal. If this deal were to become something like Brad Hand for Ross Stripling and Keibert Ruiz headlining the package, this deal becomes a lot more feasible for both sides.

https://www.dodgersnation.com/evaluating-the-trade-value-of-la-dodgers-starting-pitcher-ross-stripling/2019/07/21/
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject:

^^Pretty crappy deals if you ask me^^

While Vasquaz does have a better save percentage this year, it is the only year his is better than Kenley's, though his ERA+ has been better the last two. Yes, it is this year we are focused on, but there will be years to come that must be considered, and getting someone who may be having an outlier year, that one special year (or his second), must be factored. Both Stripling and Gonsolin appear to be major league starters on most teams. That they are projected to be middle of the rotation to back of the rotation guys, still means major league starters. Cartaya is a top rated prospect but young. Two of the three would be fair, and maybe even over-paying at that.

Everything said about Vasquez could be said about Hand, except maybe that Hand has had an even less impressive career. I think Pederson OR Stripling, (Pederson is on his way to his fourth year of 2+ WAR, Hand, his second) plus a 10 - 20 ranked prospect with Pederson, and maybe a top 10ish one (maybe even Cartaya) with Stripling (though I would have to think long and hard on that) would be fair.

It appears the Dodgers may have blown it in the off season when they went for Kelly, though his strength with the BoSox was his postseason performance where he had an ERA of .51 his three years there. Is this still in him? Do the Dodgers give up on him now before giving him a chance, before he can show his postseason stuff?

I tend to think big picture, but I know how hungry everyone is for a World Series championship. How much should be gambled, knowing that adding the right part is usually costly, and fails more often than it succeeds.

If I am going to give up that much, I want Yates, with a 93% save percentage and a 1.71 ERA over the last two years.

One last thing. None of these proposed trades gets a guy who has been successful in the post season, which brings us back to Kelly.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject:

A look back at the Dodgers' top 20 prospects in 2014:

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2014/index.jsp?c_id=la#list=la

To think Urias was the number 2 prospect in 2014 and he still has not had even one half a season of work.

Then there was this guy:

Cody Bellinger

Scouting Grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 45 | Run: 50 | Arm: 50 | Field: 60 | Overall: 45

The son of Clay Bellinger, who won two World Series rings with the Yankees and played in the 2004 Olympics for Greece, Cody went in the fourth round of the 2013 Draft. He landed a $700,000 bonus, making him the biggest over-slot signing in the Dodgers' Draft class that year. He struggled in his pro debut but improved his OPS from .698 to .826 in his second shot at Rookie ball.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject:

All it shows is how much work Cody put in to get where he is in 2019.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject:

I'm really happy and surprised for Gavin Lux's success. He always seemed like he'd be a future solid ballplayer when drafted, but I don't think anyone would believe he'd improve so much as a hitter since being drafted. At the time I thought the Dodgers should have drafted Delvin Perez, who ended up with the cardinals, because he had a higher ceiling, but am very happy to be wrong now especially after the rumors of his PEDs use turned out to be true. I hope he's considered as one of the untouchables among the prospect ranks.

Interestingly enough, Keibert Ruiz was promoted to AAA recently even with meh offensive numbers. Was this a move done to showcase him in a higher level for potential blockbuster trades? There's been next to nothing in Dodger trade rumors, so who knows what will happen at the deadline this year. They just need to really fix up that bullpen.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
I'm really happy and surprised for Gavin Lux's success. He always seemed like he'd be a future solid ballplayer when drafted, but I don't think anyone would believe he'd improve so much as a hitter since being drafted. At the time I thought the Dodgers should have drafted Delvin Perez, who ended up with the cardinals, because he had a higher ceiling, but am very happy to be wrong now especially after the rumors of his PEDs use turned out to be true. I hope he's considered as one of the untouchables among the prospect ranks.

Interestingly enough, Keibert Ruiz was promoted to AAA recently even with meh offensive numbers. Was this a move done to showcase him in a higher level for potential blockbuster trades? There's been next to nothing in Dodger trade rumors, so who knows what will happen at the deadline this year. They just need to really fix up that bullpen.

The Dodgers don't play today, but we start a series tomorrow against the Angels, and I wonder if we'll see a roster move. Barnes' average has dipped below .200. Ruiz was promoted to AAA, as you noted, and he went 2-4 with a homer in his AAA debut yesterday. You would think that the club wouldn't want to platoon Ruiz and Smith at AAA, since they want both guys to be getting mostly everyday at-bats. So perhaps one of them will be traded, or perhaps Smith is getting the call to the big leagues again tomorrow.

Purely my own speculation, but I think management could be willing to move one of Ruiz or Smith (and I'm guessing Ruiz) in a blockbuster deal. With how they've operated over the past few years in holding on to their top-flight prospects, I think the odds of trading May or Lux are slim-to-none. But since both Smith and Ruiz are catchers, I think they may be willing to actually move one of them. And with the way that Barnes has struggled and with how Russell Martin should be viewed as a backup, perhaps they'll see Smith as being more ready to contribute now, and, therefore, Ruiz is the one that goes in a deal. We'll see.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:

I was going to say Ruiz is just 20, but I checked to be sure and he turned 21 just two days ago. So yes, he is young and therefore might lack consistency. When you look at how Lux and Peters took off at OKC (despite the fact that OKC (AAA) and Tulsa (AA) both have team averages of .260) after leaving Tulsa, maybe the thinking is that Ruiz might as well. This would then, as you suggest, possibly showcase him--though there is little time before the trade deadline at the end of the month--or it could give him experience against theoretically tougher competition, as well as possibly provide a confidence boost. Maybe, and this is pure speculation, someone wants Will Smith so Ruiz will be needed as a replacement.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

I was going to say Ruiz is just 20, but I checked to be sure and he turned 21 just two days ago. So yes, he is young and therefore might lack consistency. When you look at how Lux and Peters took off at OKC (despite the fact that OKC (AAA) and Tulsa (AA) both have team averages of .260) after leaving Tulsa, maybe the thinking is that Ruiz might as well. This would then, as you suggest, possibly showcase him--though there is little time before the trade deadline at the end of the month--or it could give him experience against theoretically tougher competition, as well as possibly provide a confidence boost. Maybe, and this is pure speculation, someone wants Will Smith so Ruiz will be needed as a replacement.

I hope Will Smith isn't included in any trade talks as he's someone that should be on the roster right now as the catcher. Ruiz is someone who can potentially help a few years down the line but is not ready for the show yet. I hope they promoted him to help jump start his offense in AAA because his peripherals look good, but hasn't really translated in average or other stats yet.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
ribeye wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

I hope Will Smith isn't included in any trade talks as he's someone that should be on the roster right now as the catcher. Ruiz is someone who can potentially help a few years down the line but is not ready for the show yet. I hope they promoted him to help jump start his offense in AAA because his peripherals look good, but hasn't really translated in average or other stats yet.

I think Smith is definitely more ready right now, but Ruiz may not be too far off. His power numbers didn't look impressive at AA, but his approach was right, and the major league ball is more juiced, anyway lol.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

I think Smith is definitely more ready right now, but Ruiz may not be too far off. His power numbers didn't look impressive at AA, but his approach was right, and the major league ball is more juiced, anyway lol.

Per Ken Gurnick, since we're on the subject:

Quote:
If the Dodgers are about to trade any of their top prospects, catcher Keibert Ruiz probably is the one. Catcher is the organization’s deepest position, and 24-year-old Will Smith has already shown he’s MLB-ready. Ruiz, although ranked No. 1 in the system by MLB Pipeline, is younger at 21 and was having his worst offensive season professionally when he was promoted to Triple-A on Sunday. Can’t even imagine a deal that would entice this management to trade away pitcher Dustin May or infielder Gavin Lux.

Quote:
With the disappointing offensive production of Austin Barnes, it’s tempting to speculate that Ruiz’s Sunday promotion to Triple-A is the first of a chain reaction like you suggest. But that’s probably premature. Ruiz has spent 1 1/2 seasons at Double-A, and his offense last year was better than this year. Maybe he needs a new challenge. It’s also not unprecedented for Ruiz and Smith to be paired on the same team. They were at Double-A Tulsa together last year. Also, if the Dodgers are suddenly willing to include Ruiz in a bigger trade, what better way to elevate his visibility than to give him a promotion?

Quote:
This is why management usually errs on the side of experience in October. Fans were clamoring for Seager to replace an aging Jimmy Rollins, which finally happened in September. But Seager found October baseball an entirely different ballgame. A change at catcher is even trickier, because it can impact an entire pitching staff. Fans now demand Smith to replace Barnes, mostly for offensive reasons. But Barnes is the primary catcher for All-Stars Clayton Kershaw and Walker Buehler, and switching catchers in midseason can disrupt the underappreciated rapport with a pitching staff, which is one of Barnes’ strengths. He deserves as much praise for his work with the pitchers as he does criticism for his bat. And Russell Martin? He’s the personal catcher for Hyun-Jin Ryu. Mess with that battery at your own risk.

LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
ribeye wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Would the team's willingness to trade Ruiz mean the Dodgers feel a lot more confident in the development of Diego Cartaya as the catcher of the future with Will Smith and change holding down the fort for a few years? I think Ruiz may need a couple seasons before being ready for the show. Cartaya would be even more years down the line.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
ribeye wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Would the team's willingness to trade Ruiz mean the Dodgers feel a lot more confident in the development of Diego Cartaya as the catcher of the future with Will Smith and change holding down the fort for a few years? I think Ruiz may need a couple seasons before being ready for the show. Cartaya would be even more years down the line.

You've got it right on how these guys are projected to arrive.

I'm not as sold on Will Smith right now and into the playoffs, and though l'd like him up to see more, he would not get the experience as playing every day in AAA. Smith did well enough, especially his power, but it was an awfully small sample size. Once Major league teams see someone a bit, they have quite a knack for separating the men from the boys.

As LBP posted a couple of days ago, Fan Graphs came out with their prospects and Ruiz (13) was ranked far ahead of Smith (67). Since they have access to the scouts and insiders, this should mean something.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
This is why management usually errs on the side of experience in October. Fans were clamoring for Seager to replace an aging Jimmy Rollins, which finally happened in September. But Seager found October baseball an entirely different ballgame. A change at catcher is even trickier, because it can impact an entire pitching staff. Fans now demand Smith to replace Barnes, mostly for offensive reasons. But Barnes is the primary catcher for All-Stars Clayton Kershaw and Walker Buehler, and switching catchers in midseason can disrupt the underappreciated rapport with a pitching staff, which is one of Barnes’ strengths. He deserves as much praise for his work with the pitchers as he does criticism for his bat. And Russell Martin? He’s the personal catcher for Hyun-Jin Ryu. Mess with that battery at your own risk.

This could be all well and true, but if Barnes somehow has a season ending injury tomorrow and we had to call up Will Smith for the rest of the season, I don't think anyone would be worried about our season or how it would "impact an entire pitching staff".
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Concerning the relief pitching and specifically the closer issue is the real problem is that no matter who you get as additional relief help, when it comes to closing, as long as Jansen is on the staff he is closing. Roberts and I am assuming the front office is going to ride with their guy especially with his price tag. The front office wants the guy they are paying 18 million to close. Roberts will continue to do so as long as he is on the roster.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Kershaw specifically praised Smith's handling of the staff as a catcher, and Smith was billed as a defense-first catcher in the minors. As for Seager replacing Jimmy Rollins, maybe if we had acclimated Seager to the majors much sooner, he wouldn't have felt overwhelmed by October baseball. Barnes hasn't hit since 2017. At what point do you need to say, ok, we have a guy with a MUCH higher ceiling, so let's see what happens? Scared money is lost money.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Concerning the relief pitching and specifically the closer issue is the real problem is that no matter who you get as additional relief help, when it comes to closing, as long as Jansen is on the staff he is closing. Roberts and I am assuming the front office is going to ride with their guy especially with his price tag. The front office wants the guy they are paying 18 million to close. Roberts will continue to do so as long as he is on the roster.

I agree with ExPat as usual.

It is like the Red Sox last year when Kimbrel started making every save opportunity an adventure. But they rode him anyway even though at the time it seemed like Kelly among others was better.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 83 of 248
Jump to: