OT: Stephen A. Smith's "Quite Frankly" cancelled
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sidious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject:

That's pretty surprsing to me. This guy always had big name guests on there, people liked him.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Sorry, but his shtick seemed real forced, like he had to project "street" onto everything. Those of you who find that "real" need to adjust your negative stereotypes of African Americans (even, or especially, if you are African American). There's nothing real about purposely being inarticulate, simple, or overly relying on tired slang. Real is MLK or Malcolm X, who commanded and demanded the respect of all through their passionate articulation of human dignity without the need to denegrate themselves through ignorant, uncultured language and behavior. English is not some provence of the white man, it is the international language of commerce, and the method the intellectuals of our country use to communicate ideas. It should not be abandoned or eschewed on racial grounds.

Just my .02
LkrsOvrMia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
I'm not shocked. Brotha was a bit too..."real" for some tastes. He would keep it REALLY real and that usually doesn't sit well with a lot of people.

Cool cat though.

I can tolerate 'em now. However, something tells me this has been because he spends less time on BSPN.

He's definitely real. I always figured the timeslot he (S.A.S.) was given would eventually doom 'em.

Go Lakers!

Go Lakers!
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Sorry, but his shtick seemed real forced, like he had to project "street" onto everything. Those of you who find that "real" need to adjust your negative stereotypes of African Americans (even, or especially, if you are African American). There's nothing real about purposely being inarticulate, simple, or overly relying on tired slang. Real is MLK or Malcolm X, who commanded and demanded the respect of all through their passionate articulation of human dignity without the need to denegrate themselves through ignorant, uncultured language and behavior. English is not some provence of the white man, it is the international language of commerce, and the method the intellectuals of our country use to communicate ideas. It should not be abandoned or eschewed on racial grounds.

Just my .02

On the same (ahem) token...I don't think there's anyone that can tell other people what "real" is in reference to their own personal experiences. Just like Malcolm and Martin didn't speak for ALL of African-Americans, neither does Stephen A. There those that are afraid of "slang" but the reality is, slang has become part of the American lexicon, like it or not. All races use slang, and all races borrow slang from one another.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:

Just my .02

On the same (ahem) token...I don't think there's anyone that can tell other people what "real" is in reference to their own personal experiences. Just like Malcolm and Martin didn't speak for ALL of African-Americans, neither does Stephen A.

Point taken, Lux, although I find it hard to accept that respect and enlightenment is achieved through vulgar behavior, no matter what your color or situation. And I do believe that MLK especially, and Malcom to a large degree, did speak on behalf of all African Americans and indeed humanity. That was their trancendant greatness, that their message was universal. I do hope you know that i was speaking in societal generalities and not implying that i know your individual situation better than you. I believe in humanity, and refuse to accept things that separate us as "real".
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:

Just my .02

On the same (ahem) token...I don't think there's anyone that can tell other people what "real" is in reference to their own personal experiences. Just like Malcolm and Martin didn't speak for ALL of African-Americans, neither does Stephen A.

Point taken, Lux, although I find it hard to accept that respect and enlightenment is achieved through vulgar behavior, no matter what your color or situation. And I do believe that MLK especially, and Malcom to a large degree, did speak on behalf of all African Americans and indeed humanity. That was their trancendant greatness, that their message was universal. I do hope you know that i was speaking in societal generalities and not implying that i know your individual situation better than you. I believe in humanity, and refuse to accept things that separate us as "real".

Oh yeah, I feel you, bro. I was just putting it out there on the other side of that, that's all. It's all good and your point was well taken.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:

Just my .02

Oh yeah, I feel you, bro. I was just putting it out there on the other side of that, that's all. It's all good and your point was well taken.

*TheNextKobe*
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject:

^^^ Kudos to both of you, very good points on both ends.

Regarding SAS, I say good riddence. I know a lot of people here like/respected him, but I personally thought he was trash. Everyone's appreciates the fact that he gave Kobe his props (which he did), but no one seems to remember the years of 2003, 2002, 2001...before the Shaq trade. Where all Steven A. would do is ride Superman's cape and trash Kobe saying "he's selfish, pass the ball to the big fella, Kobe's got a grudge, Kobe's to blame." As a matter of fact, it seemed like the only time he did give Kobe props was when someone on his show complimented Kobe or when Kobe was on the show. Which leads me to the next problem I have with SAS...

A lot of people are mentioning who Steven would "keep it real" but just I all other analyst and commentators, when interviewing guests, there is nothing but a$$ kissing going on. If he really kept it real, he would have (not intentionally) offended or opposed some of his guests, instead of agreeing with everything they said.

Furthermore, Steven A. initially became known (i think) for commentating/analyzing basketbal. But when you saw his show, it seemed like 10% was related to basketball, 20% related to football, and 70% related to baseball and boxing. I can understand him trying to be diverse in his selection of topics, but when your initial audience is compiled of basketball fans, maybe you should spend more time on that subject instead of just of portion of your "3 and Out" segment.

Lastly, this guy never deserved a show in the first place. He screams a bunch of obnoxious, blind opinion based statements in front of the camera to shock people and weeks later in completely contradicts himself. For example: IIRC, wasn't he the one who said Philly would never trade A.I.?
Triple-Threat-Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject:

The guy was annoying to say the least.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: