Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
Did you see the back of them?

Neither did the authorities, for all they knew there was a pound of C4 on the back.

It's easy to say something is not dangerous when you are watching it on tv.

^and there lies the problem. Call the bomb squad and have them check out the back of it. then confirm. "ALL CLEAR". its that simple.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
The real problem is people attaching things to highway ramps and other public works as part of "advertising". Maybe I should start spray painting my company name on streets and bridges everywhere I can find some open space. Hey, it's just a brige over the freeway...all I am doing is advertising.

^^hey blame that on HOMELAND security. If you want to be extra cautious. throw in a law that says. No advertising on highway ramps, and other publick works.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:
Did you see the back of them?

Neither did the authorities, for all they knew there was a pound of C4 on the back.

It's easy to say something is not dangerous when you are watching it on tv.

you can say that about a trash can. you can say that about a car. you can say that about a table. you can say that about ALMOST ANYTHING!

fact is they had no reason to believe it was a bomb. they saw a neon cartoon character and FREAKED OUT.

imo, that's ridiculous.
10 other cities were able to figure it out....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
The real problem is people attaching things to highway ramps and other public works as part of "advertising". Maybe I should start spray painting my company name on streets and bridges everywhere I can find some open space. Hey, it's just a brige over the freeway...all I am doing is advertising.

^^hey blame that on HOMELAND security. If you want to be extra cautious. throw in a law that says. No advertising on highway ramps, and other publick works.

There are already laws.

Point is vanadalism, trespassing and littering laws probably already cover some of this. What's the difference between this and some tagger with a can of spray paint? Nothing.

Had they gotten permission to place it where they were placing things, it may not have caused the over reaction it did (someplaces, no doubt they wouldn't have gotten approval). They most certainly had to know that what they were doing was illegal, but felt the fines justified the return on investment. Unfortunately for their butts, because they didn't get permission, they will be gone after for disorderly conduct and other hoax charges (these, based solely on the reaction of others...because they put themselves in that situation to begin with by not getting permissions). Now your ad campaign gets your employees opened up to felony charges...nicely done.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully the computer geeks learned a lesson. I doubt they serve any jail time, but a fine, probation, and an apology would be acceptable. Can you imagine them being on probation, having to pass drug tests, not being able to smoke reefer for a couple of years? That would be worse than jail for those guys!
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Turner Broadcasting to pay $2 million for Boston scare

BOSTON (AP) — Turner Broadcasting Systems and a marketing company have agreed to pay $2 million compensation and apologize for their advertising campaign that caused a widespread terrorism scare, the attorney general said Monday.

The agreement with several state and local agencies resolves any potential civil or criminal claims against Turner and Interference Inc., said Attorney General Martha Coakley.

Authorities feared bombs had been planted when they found more than three dozen blinking electronic signs with a boxy cartoon character giving an obscene hand gesture Wednesday in Boston, Cambridge and Somerville.

The signs, part of a publicity campaign for Cartoon Network's "Aqua Teen Hunger Force," also appeared in nine other big U.S. cities in recent weeks, but created little interest.

But in Boston, bomb squads responded to reports of the devices in a subway station, on bridges and elsewhere.

As part of the settlement, $1 million will be used to reimburse the agencies and $1 million will be used to fund homeland security and other programs. Turner Broadcasting, a division of Time Warner Inc., and Interference Inc. also will issue a public statement accepting full responsibility and apologizing for the incident.

"Last week's events caused a major disruption in the greater Boston area on many levels — crippling public transportation, causing serious traffic problems, negatively affecting local businesses and perhaps most significantly, costing Boston and surrounding communities thousands of dollars," Coakley said.

"We are fortunate that no one was injured," Coakley said. "We hope that this painful lesson will not be lived or learned again either by the communities involved or ... Turner Broadcasting and Interference."

Turner issued a statement again taking responsibility for the "unconventional marketing tactic" and apologizing for hardships it caused for residents.

"We understand now that in today's post-Sept. 11 environment, it was reasonable and appropriate for citizens and law enforcement officials to take any perceived threat posed by our light boards very seriously and to respond as they did," the statement said.

The company said it was reviewing its policies concerning local marketing efforts and strategies to ensure that they are not disruptive or perceived as threatening.

Authorities say two men were paid to hang the signs around the city. Peter Berdovsky, 27, and Sean Stevens, 28, have pleaded not guilty to placing a hoax device and disorderly conduct.

Coakley said prosecutors were in discussions with the men's attorneys to resolve the charges before a trial.

Coakley said she did not know how the two companies would divide responsibility for the payment, which was being wired to the attorney general Monday.

MBTA General Manager Daniel Grabauskas and MBTA Police Chief Joseph Carter said the money would be put to good use.

"We will develop a list of meaningful and effective homeland security and customer safety programs that will have an enduring effect on our customers," Carter said.

$2 million for these two - LINK

Who was representing Turner? Michael Strahan's lawyer?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

There are already laws.

Point is vanadalism, trespassing and littering laws probably already cover some of this. What's the difference between this and some tagger with a can of spray paint? Nothing.

I'm betting removing those light boards is a lot easier than cleaning grafitti.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject:

What difference does ease of removal make? That's not the issue. The ethics still remain the same: It's not their property to do with as they please...

There's no difference if they were sticking it on someone's building or if they were sticking it on your house. It's still someone's property. If they don't have permission to do it, they're asking for trouble.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: