You're peanut butter may kill you....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: You're peanut butter may kill you....

Quote:
Peanut butter recalled over salmonella

By JOSH FUNK, AP Business Writer

OMAHA, Neb. - ConAgra Foods Inc. told consumers to discard certain jars of Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter after the spread was linked to a salmonella outbreak that has sickened almost 300 people nationwide.

Lids of jars with a product code beginning "2111" can be returned to ConAgra for a refund, the company said.

The salmonella outbreak, which federal health officials said Wednesday has sickened 288 people in 39 states since August, was linked to tainted peanut butter produced by ConAgra at a plant in Sylvester, Ga. How salmonella got into peanut butter is still under investigation, said Dr. Mike Lynch, an epidemiologist at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

CDC officials believe the salmonella outbreak to be the nation's first stemming from peanut butter. The most cases were reported in New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Tennessee and Missouri.

About 20 percent of all the ill were hospitalized, and there were no deaths, Lynch said. About 85 percent of the infected people said they ate peanut butter, CDC officials said.

ConAgra officials said it was unsure why the CDC identified peanut butter as the source of the problem. Its own tests of its peanut butter and the plant have been negative, but it shut down the plant so it can investigate, spokesman Chris Kircher said.

"We're trying to understand what else we need to do or should be doing," he said.

Kircher called the recall a precaution. "We want to do what's right by the consumer," he said.

ConAgra officials haven't said how much peanut butter is covered in the recall. The Peter Pan brand is sold in 10 varieties, according to ConAgra's Web site. The Great Value brand, which is also made by other companies, is a Wal-Mart brand.

He said the CDC contacted the
Food and Drug Administration, which sent investigators to the Georgia plant to review records, collect product samples and conduct tests for salmonella.

Kircher said ConAgra makes peanut butter only at the Sylvester plant, for distribution nationwide.

ConAgra randomly tests 60 to 80 jars of peanut butter that come off the line each day for salmonella and other pathogens, he said.

"We've had no positive hits on that going back for years," Kircher said.

The plant itself is also regularly tested, he said, though he didn't know how often. He said none of those tests have detected salmonella either.

The latest outbreak began in August, with no more than two cases reported each day, CDC officials said. Only in the past few days did investigators hone in on peanut butter as a source, Lynch said.

Other states reporting cases are Alaska, Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin and West Virginia.

Salmonella infection is known each year to sicken about 40,000 people in the United States, according to the CDC. Salmonellosis, as the infection is known, kills about 600 people annually.

Symptoms can include diarrhea, fever, dehydration, abdominal pain and vomiting.

The recall does not affect Great Value peanut butter made by other manufacturers, the FDA said.

Shares of ConAgra stock rose 13 cents to $25.98 in morning trading on the
New York Stock Exchange.

Yahoo! News
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject:

You really have to have no class to buy that fake peanut butter. I get mine fresh at Henry's Marketplace.

*Yes I'm a peanut butter snob
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject:

What's Henry's Marketplace?
Why not just go to the local Whole Foods, and grind it yourself?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
You really have to have no class to buy that fake peanut butter. I get mine fresh at Henry's Marketplace.

*Yes I'm a peanut butter snob

Never ran into a peanut butter snob before. For the longest time I hated PB&J sandwiches because they seemed so boring.

Anyways, how does a peanut butter snob feel about Smuckers peanut butter, the one with a layer of peanut oil at the top?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Sheesh, if it's not lettuce or spinach, it's peanut butter. What's next?
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject:

I like Skippy...
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject:

No one eats Peter Pan peanut butter anyway.
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
What's Henry's Marketplace?
Why not just go to the local Whole Foods, and grind it yourself?
Henry's = Whole Foods, but cheaper with less selection
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Henry's is mostly found in OC, San Diego counties. They had a merger with Wild Oats a few years back. Huge produce section, decent prices.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Aaaah, Wild Oats is definitely like Whole Foods.
And yes, less selection, but slightly less expensive.
Still is kind of nice to be able to get ground buffalo at the counter.
SoCal88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject:

Henry's can be found in

Chino Hills
Corona
Yorba Linda
Fullerton
Costa Mesa
Long Beach
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject:

Henry's is right across from my school. Its sweet if you go their early you can get crazy deals like 14 pounds of Bosc Pears for $1. Of course they're a little bruised but I don't mind.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject:

ConAgra is huge. Some of their brand names are Banquet, Chef Boyardee, Egg Beaters, Healthy Choice, Hunt's, Jiffy, Orville Redenbacher's, PAM, Slim Jim, and Van Camp's.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject:

got two cans of the 2111 peter pan, good lookin out. Nobody sick, and I haven't touched the stuff for like a week.
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject:

This sucks. I eat Peter Pan Creamy, Reduced Fat and have 4 jars of it at my place. Sure enough all of them start with the 2111 code. Now I've got to go get some new peanut butter until all this blows over.
ShadyG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject:

Generally, I'm a back-to-basics kind of person. I chop and mince with a knife rather than a food processor, I use a bamboo steamer, and I grind spices with a mortar and pestle.

That said, give me homogenized peanut butter. I ain't mixing that stuff up every time I want to use it. And don't make me keep it refrigerated, where it comes out all hard and unspreadable. Jif does just fine from where I sit.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: