A question for all the coaches and basketball gurus?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickDaQwik
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: A question for all the coaches and basketball gurus?

My friends and I play for this 6 ft and under basketball league and we had trouble attacking the zone. Do you guys have any tips for that?

We were also debating what kinda offense we should run, but we don't have alot of time to practice cuz of our busy lives. Any suggestions? I suggested we run motion cuz its simple. I'm not really sure how tho. Well a lil info on our players. Pretty much all of us can handle the ball descently, pass, and have descent bball IQ's.

Our center can pretty much do it all: handle, rebound, great passer, range out to 3 point line, not very athletic and has a floor bound fundamental post game. Our power foward has a game similar to zach randolph: likes to bang down low, can shoot mid range jumpers, undersized. Our small foward plays kinda like Gary Payton: likes to drive, good passer, has the body to play in the post, strong rebounder, shoot alil bit. Our SG is similar to Rip Hamilton: likes to run around screens and pop from midrange, has descent handle, can drive when needed. Our PG is more of a scoring PG: similar to D'Wade and likes to drive and shoot fade aways mid range off the glass, descent passer with solid handles.

Considering all our players can handle the ball, I was tellin them that we should push the tempo similar to Phoenix. What kind of offense do they run in half court? Is the princeton offense difficult to learn? I've seen its effectiveness in Sactown, New Jersey, Hornets, and the Wiz. Is there any defensive schemes that would help push the tempo (1-3-1 zone, fullcourt press, half court trap)? We're not a strong 3 point shooting team, we rely most on penetration, mid range jumpers, and our centers post game. Having a more organized offense would help us when we go on cold streaks and in the closing minutes of our game. We're on a mini losing streak, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm trying to get into coaching, so I'm kind of a player coach on my squad.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject:

click the link.

http://www.jes-basketball.com/playbook/pla2.html

this will kill any rec league zone. rec leagues 9 times outta 10 play zone. because guys are to lazy to play man. not good enough defenders to play man. and they know most people cant shoot well. so when people see the zone they start chucking up jumpers. cause it looks like there's a lot of guys in the middle area. Believe me, you can waltz right into the middle of that zone at will. sure maybe they'll poke the ball loose twice. thats about it. you can walk right in there and dish. most guys just never stick with the plan. thats why zone works on people. no matter how soft the zone is.

But that play will win you a championship. i sure wish my team would run this. we would blow people out. but some guys like to make things difficult.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Utilize a hi-lo sequence with the C at the elbow of the key and PF in the low block.

Try to utilize a sideline triangle sequence where both PF and C flash post to their spots quickly.

Phoenix just runs high pick and roll sequences with the rest of the players behind the arc to provide spacing.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
The Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Try running an offense like Noth Carolina runs. They almost always look to run but also have a "secondary" break that usually consists on a quick hitting play to catch the defense while they are still in semi-transition. You could probably look some of their plays up on google.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject:

You know, if you don't have a lot of time to practice...then you should probably just try to install some basic fundamentals against the zone.

Try to work in more backscreens, perimeter ball fakes, and offensive board crashing (make sure you keep your balance though by keeping a couple players back). Try to send a couple of cutters through the paint coming from the weakside to the strongside to see if you can overload the zone one on side and/or catch guys sleeping so you can get the ball in the middle of the zone. Sometimes, you can have one of those guys screen a bigman in the middle while the other guy comes from the weakside away from the ball to get open from that screen. Once you get the ball in the middle, make sure you have guys constantly cutting under the hoop.

Just keep it to some principles. You can chew up some league teams with just a lot of screening away from the ball, quick cuts off those and quick passing.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject:

if you click that link in my first post. and just notice where everyone stands before the play starts. thats all you need to know. you dont have to know the play. once you stand in the proper areas in the zone. all you have to do is make sure to pass it to the high post guy and allow him to run point from that spot. everyone else. Cut(look for a pass), then go thru, set a screen, pop out.

same thing, over and over. what will happen is, guys will exchange spots. and that zone will have to move or else. but no matter what. even when you miss a shot, you will be in great rebounding position. just because of the spots you're standing in. its great floor balance. quiet as kept. this same setup will beat man defense as well. make sure to have a 3 pass minimum thing going. sure two passes may get you a layup. but most times 3 passes will force the defense to actually have to play defense. which will have guys winded. and thats all you want.

Do not get 3 happy. even if you're making them. make sure to go into the high post. and down to the low post first. then back out for the open trey if you're going to shoot it. like i said above. Make these defenders work. people run zones in leagues because they're lazy. to lazy to man up. in addition they know most people are not smart enough to destroy the zone.

Remember, no matter how tough it looks. pass the ball to the high post. I have this problem with my teams. they're afraid of their own inability to pass it without it being stolen. because they see 2 guys near me. I'm like, just throw it up. once those two guys collapse the zone is done. if they dont. the zone is done.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject:

To attack the zone you need to be a good shooter and be able to break the zone by driving and NOT settling for the jumper all the time. Just watch the Laker games and do the oposite of what they do
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
To attack the zone you need to be a good shooter and be able to break the zone by driving and NOT settling for the jumper all the time. Just watch the Laker games and do the oposite of what they do

^^pretty much. hey have you noticed that the lakers are now making a contious effort to hit the high post/mid post guy so he can hit cutters or pass the ball inside then out and around. instead of just around? this makes the defense work if all else fails.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: