Daryl Hall gets restraining order against John Oates in Hall & Oates legal battle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:13 pm    Post subject: Daryl Hall gets restraining order against John Oates in Hall & Oates legal battle

https://variety.com/2023/music/news/hall-and-oates-lawsuit-restraining-order-1235805425/

Quote:
Daryl Hall Gets Restraining Order Against John Oates in Hall & Oates Legal Battle

Hall & Oates are embroiled in a confidential legal battle that has led to Daryl Hall getting a restraining order against his former music partner John Oates.

Little information about the lawsuit is publicly available, as the court documents are sealed, but based on court records, Hall filed an undisclosed complaint against Oates on Nov. 16, as well as a motion for a temporary restraining order, as reported by Philadelphia magazine. The following day, the court officially issued a temporary restraining order to begin Nov. 30.

The Nashville Chancery Court confirmed the existence of the lawsuit to Variety, but declined further comment because the lawsuit is sealed.

Behold, Variety’s 40 Most Powerful Women on Reality TV in 2023
As TMZ points out, Hall disparaged Oates on Bill Maher’s “Club Random” podcast last year, saying, “You think John Oates is my partner? … He’s my business partner. He’s not my creative partner.”

He went on, “John and I are brothers, but we are not creative brothers. We are business partners. We made records called Hall & Oates together, but we’ve always been very separate, and that’s a really important thing for me.”

Hall then went on to diminish the collaborative aspect of Hall & Oates, using the duo’s 1980 No. 1 hit “Kiss on My List” as an example of their apparent creative separation. “I did all those [harmonies],” Hall said. “That’s all me.” Oates is not credited as a songwriter on “Kiss on My List,” but is listed as a co-produced with Hall.

Hall & Oates met in 1967, formed their duo three years later and have released 18 studio albums since their 1972 debut, “Whole Oats.” The pop-R&B duo boasts six No. 1 singles, including “Maneater,” “Rich Girl” and “Out of Touch.” Hall & Oates toured together as recently as October 2022, and they released their latest studio album, “Home for Christmas,” in 2006. Both Hall and Oates have solo recording careers and have toured separately over the years, but the duo has never officially split up.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Such a shame. The beauty is there, but the beast is in the heart.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:11 pm    Post subject:

I guess he can’t for that that, so it’s one on one.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject:

If you wanna be freeeeeee, ya know, all you got to do is say so.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Such a shame. The beauty is there, but the beast is in the heart.

Such a shame bickering over who's more creative -- the judge should force both into court & tell them they've been together for about half their lives & stop this pissing contest.
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:20 am    Post subject:

Say it isn’t so, no wonder they’ve been touring separately for a while. Not sure what happened, but some things are better left unsaid.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:12 pm    Post subject:

I saw them at the Hollywood Bowl in 2011, I believe, when Hall was 65. He still had a pretty strong voice at that time, much better than what it is now that he's 77. I specifically remember Hall lauding Oates on the mic for his contributions to the duo over time, basically saying that it was easy for people to not give him enough credit because Hall is obviously the lead vocalist. How times have changed!
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:29 pm    Post subject:

XTC wrote:
Say it isn’t so, no wonder they’ve been touring separately for a while. Not sure what happened, but some things are better left unsaid.

I thought I read somewhere that the disagreement started when Oates was planning to sell his half of their music to an investment firm.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
XTC wrote:

I thought I read somewhere that the disagreement started when Oates was planning to sell his half of their music to an investment firm.

I saw a blurb on TMZ where they claim that a source says that the dispute has to do with whether or not Oates has the right to sing one of their songs (one song specifically) on his own, presumably when he's touring and performing solo.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Saw him in concert last month in our area, it wasn’t as good as I expected.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:08 am    Post subject:

This is sounds like the same kind of nonsense that goes on between Peter Cetera and the other band members of Chicago. Everyone believes they're bigger than the team. Egos run amok.
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject:

^Then there’s Journey’s Neal Schon v. Jonathon Cain. They’re still touring these days to keep the dollars rolling in, but they’ve basically gone their separate ways outside of the band as they’re battling it out in court as well.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:49 am    Post subject:

XTC wrote:
^Then there’s Journey...separate ways

nice. their best song imo

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: