Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg Diagnosed with Metastatic Prostate Cancer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:10 pm    Post subject: Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg Diagnosed with Metastatic Prostate Cancer

In a post on his Instagram, Sandberg revealed the news.
https://www.instagram.com/p/C2af45TOHHR/?img_index=1

I'm posting this because there may be guys on here who haven't had a physical in a while, perhaps years. This is just so sad because just one doctor visit each year would have revealed something going on with Sandberg, as it takes up to 8 years for prostate cancer to metastasize. This is essentially a terminal diagnosis; the average survival rate of metastatic prostate cancer is 21 months, and the 5-year survival rate is 28%. He's 64 years old, and he's going to die young.

GET YOUR ANNUAL PHYSICAL, FOLKS. It truly can save your life.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Okay, I'm going to schedule a physical. I haven't had one since I was in my 20s.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:28 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Okay, I'm going to schedule a physical. I haven't had one since I was in my 20s.

Good move. I think we're about the same age, and I can relate. I didn't see a doctor all throughout my 30's and early 40's. It really is so easy to do and early detection for so many afflictions, if you do have an issue, is everything.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:35 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Good move. I think we're about the same age, and I can relate. I didn't see a doctor all throughout my 30's and early 40's. It really is so easy to do and early detection for so many afflictions, if you do have an issue, is everything.

Yeah, it's just not a thing I even think about in my day to day life. I've always been the type to just "gut things out" but these days I'm no longer spring chicken.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:44 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Yeah, it's just not a thing I even think about in my day to day life. I've always been the type to just "gut things out" but these days I'm no longer spring chicken.

And the thing is, a person could be an athletic, spry, seemingly-healthy person in their 40's (or even younger), who feels good, yet there could still be something going on that the person doesn't know about. Chadwick Boseman having stage 3 colon cancer comes to mind, and of course he sadly passed away from that. And it wasn't even stage 4 at diagnosis. Early detection really is everything, and if you go to the doctor at least once a year, you are very likely to have something detected in an early stage if there happens to be something wrong with you.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:55 pm    Post subject:

I used to never go to the doctor. Then one day I got a massive shoulder pain I thought was a heart attack and went to the emergency room. Turned out to be nothing but the x-ray found a I had a fatty liver. So I went to a doctor they said to lose weight. so I lost 60 pounds and got in shape. I also started getting my physical every year. Every year when I check out from my physical I setup the appointment for the next year. The front desk person is always surprised I schedule so far out, but I tell them “if I walk out without an appointment I’ll forget, put it off and it will be years before I do again.”

So make that appointment and then when you’re done with that one, schedule the next one!
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:04 pm    Post subject:

annuals are important

beyond that, ask for as much workup as they're willing to give you beyond the basics

do bloodwork for vitamin d, all the Bs, your thyroid--not just tsh reflex free T4...ask for the anti-thyroid antibody test

ask for your iron levels, not just your hemoglobin on a CBC, but your actual blood iron

ask for your lipid panel (ldls/hdls). If they say you need to be on statins, depending on how bad your numbers are, get on one right away or stop eating fun and get your fat ass onto an elliptical every day for the rest of your life

get in to a colonoscopy even if you're not yet 45

if you're bold enough, fake some pain in the kidney area which should trigger a complete abdominal ultrasound which will uncover solid masses in that area, and give you a clear baseline going forward

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:14 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
annuals are important

beyond that, ask for as much workup as they're willing to give you beyond the basics

do bloodwork for vitamin d, all the Bs, your thyroid--not just tsh reflex free T4...ask for the anti-thyroid antibody test

ask for your iron levels, not just your hemoglobin on a CBC, but your actual blood iron

ask for your lipid panel (ldls/hdls). If they say you need to be on statins, depending on how bad your numbers are, get on one right away or stop eating fun and get your fat ass onto an elliptical every day for the rest of your life

if you're bold enough, fake some pain in the kidney area which should trigger a complete abdominal ultrasound which will uncover solid masses in that area, and give you a clear baseline going forward

Great stuff. Yeah, I got most of those at my physical last year. Had some hypothyroidism detected, which I now take a low dosage of Levothyroxine for. (My mother and 2 aunts have this also, so it's probably hereditary.) Luckily, it's not really a big deal to have a mild thyroid condition. Also had my first colonoscopy last year. The prep for it kind of sucks in that you have to drink this weird-tasting jug of a powder-water mixture for a day or two, and can't eat solid food, but the actual procedure itself is no big deal. Now I don't have to have another one, they said, for another 10 years. It's good to have peace of mind.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:18 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
C M B wrote:
annuals are important

Great stuff. Yeah, I got most of those at my physical last year. Had some hypothyroidism detected, which I now take a low dosage of Levothyroxine for. (My mother and 2 aunts have this also, so it's probably hereditary.) Luckily, it's not really a big deal to have a mild thyroid condition. Also had my first colonoscopy last year. The prep for it kind of sucks in that you have to drink this weird-tasting jug of a powder-water mixture for a day or two, and can't eat solid food, but the actual procedure itself is no big deal. Now I don't have to have another one, they said, for another 10 years. It's good to have peace of mind.

Congrats on your great health! Do you guys have hasimoto's or just HT? Either way, glad you're on levo and that it fixes it.

Yup go lytely is fuggin disgusting. Congrats on putting that behind you.

Further, fire any doctor who won't take your symptoms as seriously as you do. Fire them if they gaslight you with "it's just anxiety" before giving you every applicable test and putting you through every whirring/beeping piece of machinery that exists

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:36 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
C M B wrote:
annuals are important

Congrats on your great health! Do you guys have hasimoto's or just HT? Either way, glad you're on levo and that it fixes it.

Yup go lytely is fuggin disgusting. Congrats on putting that behind you.

Further, fire any doctor who won't take your symptoms as seriously as you do. Fire them if they gaslight you with "it's just anxiety" before giving you every applicable test and putting you through every whirring/beeping piece of machinery that exists

None of us have Hashimoto's. My mom actually had her thyroid removed about 10 years ago after a biopsy was basically inconclusive for cancer, though they thought that it probably was. The doctors basically gave her a choice of monitoring the situation or just removing the thyroid entirely and then just taking the necessary medication to replace the hormone your body needs. She just decided to get it the F out lol, and wisely, imo. Her health has not been affected by this. As long as your body has the hormone it needs that the thyroid is supposed to produce, you should be OK.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Praying. I have kidney disease so I see my primary twice a year and my nephrologist twice a year - basically in front of one or the other every 3 months.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject:

He's my chiropractor's father-in-law.

And in case you are wondering he didn't mention this at all during our appointment today (course I also felt weird to ask but I digress). However, it's not a shock to the family considering he's had major health problems for the past few years. This is the only one that the rest of the public knows.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: