Lakers are on a hot streak and then All Star break comes

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:14 am    Post subject: Lakers are on a hot streak and then All Star break comes

we all remember what happened last time when they were on a hot streak and then came a long layoff. after the in-season championship game, Lakers came out flat for almost 1.5 months. hope this won't happen again after the all star break.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:24 am    Post subject:

The Lakers had 2 days off after winning the IST. Not sure that can be blamed for them dropping the ball.

It was more an issue of Ham’s “period of discovery” which included things like starting Reddish, playing him more minutes than Rui, and benching Reaves and DLo.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:28 am    Post subject:

The season officially starts. Should be fun. It was nice ending with two bums into the break. Cant wait to play games that actually start to matter.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:00 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
The season officially starts. Should be fun. It was nice ending with two bums into the break. Cant wait to play games that actually start to matter.

The Lakers are sitting in 9th place. The season has started quite some time ago and the games mattered then.
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:19 am    Post subject:

This isn't a hot streak. The Lakers have finally figured out the 5-Out offense. Early on in the season, they were clearly confused and unsure how to move/attack and where the gaps existed in this concept. Only DLo had extensive 5-Out experience. Everyone else was moving a step slow. They "get it" now. That's why the offense is humming. It's not just the passing, but the players relocating and screening decisively so that they are entering open spaces for the passers to find them in scoring positions. It's beautiful to watch and I expect this to continue.

This break is actually welcome for AD/Bron to get a necessary recharge before the final push, and to have a week without games as we still look forward to the recoveries of Max, Gabe, Vando, and Reddish.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:23 am    Post subject:

ArminNBA wrote:
This isn't a hot streak. The Lakers have finally figured out the 5-Out offense. Early on in the season, they were clearly confused and unsure how to move/attack and where the gaps existed in this concept. Only DLo had extensive 5-Out experience. Everyone else was moving a step slow. They "get it" now. That's why the offense is humming. It's not just the passing, but the players relocating and screening decisively so that they are entering open spaces for the passers to find them in scoring positions. It's beautiful to watch and I expect this to continue.

This break is actually welcome for AD/Bron to get a necessary recharge before the final push, and to have a week without games as we still look forward to the recoveries of Max, Gabe, Vando, and Reddish.

This!
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:57 am    Post subject:

It doesn’t seem similar to me. The IST games were mostly spread out and were weak competition. I think it was a mix of coincidence and low quality of opponent that allowed them to do well in all of the games that were marked as IST games but as a whole they were not consistently playing well.

This is a much more prolonged stretch of winning the points in the paint, being absolutely elite from the 3 point line, not getting called for any fouls, and getting 2-3x as many free throws as the opponent every night and it’s against a variety of opponents both at home and on the road.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:55 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
The Lakers had 2 days off after winning the IST. Not sure that can be blamed for them dropping the ball.

It was more an issue of Ham’s “period of discovery” which included things like starting Reddish, playing him more minutes than Rui, and benching Reaves and DLo.

Ham apparently needed to make extra, extra sure that Cam really and truly is ass after he played well for a week or two. After all, that week or two might have been a better indicator of his actual skill level rather than his entire NBA and college career up to that point and since.

If I'm being honest, I'm terrified Ham will slot Cam in for 30 minutes a game the moment he's healthy again. Dude is obsessed with certain players and he loves going small no matter who is on the floor against us,
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Players are finally figuring out how to play in this 5-out offense. It’s noticeable the difference too when either Lebron or AD posts up, a lot more movement and cutting.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:38 pm    Post subject:

People automatically think you are a better coach when you emphasize defense over offense.

D'Antoni was a good coach and people act like he was a lightweight.

So it's no wonder Ham wants to emphasize defense as a new coach.

Of the Lakers best five players, only AD is a good defender.

Bron is too old, Rui, AD, DLo are all too slow.

But as we've seen this team is capable of putting up 70 points a half on the regular.

Ham just needs to lean into the offense, especially until Vando comes back.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:34 pm    Post subject:

DLo- 41% from the 3
Rui- 40%
Lebron-39%
TP-39%
AR-36.5% and trending up

This is a good shooting team now, and it just makes lebron and AD more valuable
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:58 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
DLo- 41% from the 3
Rui- 40%
Lebron-39%
TP-39%
AR-36.5% and trending up

This is a good shooting team now, and it just makes lebron and AD more valuable

yep, it's all about shot making. if the same shots were missing, then team would go away from them and doing something else out of flow.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:21 pm    Post subject:

According to ESPN, for the month of February:

Rui averaging 20 points per game for Feb
AR averaging 20 points per game for Feb
DLo averaging 20 points per game for Feb
AD averaging 24 points per game for Feb
LBJ averaging 24 points per game for Feb

That's 108 points per game from your starters for Feb.

Prince is averaging 10 points per game for Feb
Hayes is averaging almost 7 points per game for Feb
Dinwiddie is average 8 points per game as a Laker
Wood is averaging about 6 points per game in Feb

That's 31 points per game from your bench in Feb

That is 139 points per game from the Lakers in Feb. I call that hot.
kermitwashington
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:08 pm    Post subject:

I really think AD should be in the MVP conversation. It was hard to say that when they were losing, but if they continue to win. I think he should be in that convo.

When are the injured guys due back?
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:33 pm    Post subject:

kermitwashington wrote:
I really think AD should be in the MVP conversation. It was hard to say that when they were losing, but if they continue to win. I think he should be in that convo.

When are the injured guys due back?

EDIT - accurate information I had to go look up the last post that happened about it.

TDRock wrote:
Per Trudell

Max Christie is trending in a positive direction with his ankle, but isn’t expected to play before the All-Star break.

Cam Reddish, meanwhile, is expected to be ready to return after the break.

Vanderbilt and Vincent are a bit further away from potential returns.

https://x.com/lakersreporter/status/1757137155057393987?s=46&t=6-sxM4NpvzeWdNMn3aVCqg

(All Star break is this weekend)

ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:56 am    Post subject:

I think this team's better than it's record despite me projecting 42-ish wins before season start - offense seems to be finally clicking, players are falling into optimal roles, AD/Lebron are healthy (knock on wood), weird lineups/rotations seem to be on the decline (though not entirely gone).
HOWEVER, March is going to be absolutely brutal, that month will tell the real story.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:09 am    Post subject:

Didn't they win the championship after a three month break in 2020? I will take a rested Bron and AD over rust any day.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:26 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
I think this team's better than it's record despite me projecting 42-ish wins before season start - offense seems to be finally clicking, players are falling into optimal roles, AD/Lebron are healthy (knock on wood), weird lineups/rotations seem to be on the decline (though not entirely gone).
HOWEVER, March is going to be absolutely brutal, that month will tell the real story.

If we managed to position ourselves on top 6 and be healthy and have favorable matchup , we will have more than punchers chance. We need a great stroke of luck though.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:18 am    Post subject:

Stopped our 20 game win streak

BASTARDS!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: