HORNETS -at- LAKERS - 11/06 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject:

Eh. The loss was not too bad. I'm still miffed that we have two starters out. Pick and Roll defense just didn't work, and it was exploited time and time again.

It's not the # of points that we scored, as per usual. It's the defense. Should have played better defense, and handled the rock better. If we do that, the 104 should have been enough to get us the W.

The problem is that, according to the players, the Hornet's offense with everyone healthy was an unknown. Lots of injured players last year, etc. It might be an excuse, but who knows what's the truth.

I do know that we need to get healthy, and we're still stuck in this limbo of this player being out, or that player being out. And it's our freakin' starters. The guys who are suppose to get you over the hump.

*IF* we can get healthy, we'll go farther than most people think.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject:

Good recap, as usual, DB.

On the loss itself:

1. NO played very well and they have a very good team.
2. I would prefer to lose when opponent is hot from the 3-pt distance. I can't live with losing on the layup drill. So, I am not too upset with yersterday loss.
3. Simply put, the same crew we have had yesterday + Lamar gives absolutely different outlook. Luke was brave enough to drive twice on Peja. LO will drive on him whole game.

Scott is a stud, good job You can see former Laker from the distance...
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject:

The Lakers should've used the Steve Nash defense against CP. Make him score, shut down his assist numbers. They let him do both. A little speed bug PG has always been a bane to the Lakers. NO is a very fast, athletic team - another bane for us.
Pista
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the recap. Gotta be the best thing on this site.
Alpha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB (as usual).

A rare game i got to watch... i kept thinking, "why doesn't PJ just stick/assign someone to stay with Peja." You know, Stand By Me style "sick balls!"

I wonder how the game would have turned out if say they just assigned Critt to stay on Peja's hip... sure Peja is tall but giving possibly the best shooter in the NBA open looks all night!?!?!? Was the plan to see if Peja would strain his shooting arm??!?!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject:

Bottom line: A young team missing a few key players played somewhat of a poor game and got beat. Guess what? If they beat Minny on Friday they'll be 3-2, which is, of course, on pace for a 50 win season

Seriously, this team is going to have some ups and downs, but I think their besst ball will be played later on.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Phil should have assigned Kobe to gaurd CP3. The Hornets go as Chris Paul goes. He had 21 assists; Lakers lose.

Vlad's defense on Peja was horrible. How difficult is the concept of "stay attached to the shooter." I could have done a better job, and im 6 feet tall.

Brian Cook needs to be cut from the team already. 'Nuff said.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:
I should add that I thought there were a number of times when our players were fouled and no whistle, yet the whistle blew freely for NO.

im not going to blame this loss on the refs,(however i will probably blame them for a handful of losses at some point this season) but i saw that too a couple of times. the other thing i have been noticing is the refs rewarding people with free throws when they weren't:
a.in the act of shooting
b.in the penalty

kind of strange

i felt the turning point was when david west hit that 3 from the top of the circle(after the jump ball). not that big of play, but thats when i felt the momentum shifted.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject:

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
Phil should have assigned Kobe to gaurd CP3. The Hornets go as Chris Paul goes. He had 21 assists; Lakers lose.

Vlad's defense on Peja was horrible. How difficult is the concept of "stay attached to the shooter." I could have done a better job, and im 6 feet tall.

Brian Cook needs to be cut from the team already. 'Nuff said.

That depends on HOW difficult IT is for him to disobey Phil Jackson's instruction to cheat off the wing players in order to shut down the lanes to chris paul.

[edit], just noticed I was missing a few words up there.

Last edited by Rick12322 on Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Mr. EiGhTy-OnE wrote:
Rick12322 wrote:
I should add that I thought there were a number of times when our players were fouled and no whistle, yet the whistle blew freely for NO.

im not going to blame this loss on the refs,(however i will probably blame them for a handful of losses at some point this season) but i saw that too a couple of times. the other thing i have been noticing is the refs rewarding people with free throws when they weren't:
a.in the act of shooting
b.in the penalty

kind of strange

i felt the turning point was when david west hit that 3 from the top of the circle(after the jump ball). not that big of play, but thats when i felt the momentum shifted.

IMO, the turning point for the Hornets was the end of the 3rd when Vlad was guarding Peja and gave up three 3-pointers (2 which resulted from misguided attempts to help off of CP3's penetration). The Lakers were hanging tough and should've gone into the 4th with a small deficit. Instead, they went in down by 9 and never got closer than 4...
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject:

^ I seriously doubt Phil asked Vlad to do that. Watch the replays, most of the time Vlad was standing in no man's land, i.e. the area where you aren't covering your guy but still aren't close enough to the lane to play good help defense. Vlad was spacecaddetting on at least 3-4 of Peja's MADE 3s.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
^ I seriously doubt Phil asked Vlad to do that. Watch the replays, most of the time Vlad was standing in no man's land, i.e. the area where you aren't covering your guy but still aren't close enough to the lane to play good help defense. Vlad was spacecaddetting on at least 3-4 of Peja's MADE 3s.

Just a space cadet
every chance I get
people know the fool
I'm playing

Paid for being dense
playing no defense
every night some heart
betraying

There will come a day
I will fly away
Up to the hills
of Utah

When a broken bone I get
they'll say just a space cadet
The season goes on
without me

<<Sing along now>>

IIIIIIIII ain't worth the money...
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

Peja made three 3s to close the 3rd when Vlad was guarding him. 2 of them resulted directly from the fact that Vlad foolishly left him to provide defensive help to his teammates. One of them was a result of being caught in no-man's land. In that case, he was standing about 3 feet from Peja. A simple swing pass was thrown to Peja, and no defensive rotations were required. Vlad should've been close enough to Peja to force him to dribble, but since he wasn't, Peja was able to take and make a poorly contested 3.

Those three 3s to close the 3rd really changed the momentum in the Hornets' favor.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

The fact he's inbetween the two places shows he didn't know which place to be. If I was Phil I would have been screaming, just stay on Peja! the blame remains on Phil for that, IMO. This shouldn't come as a surprise to us that this happened, Phil said as much in his pre-game comments that we were going to have problems.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Maybe I'm being too hard on Phil, maybe we'll improve as the season goes on. It's just a matter of knowing what to do in these types of situations. That same principle can be applied liberally to all facets of the game at this point.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject:

^You argue that was Phil, I argue that was space cadet Vlad. I seriously doubt Phil didn't say something like "stay on Peja." C'mon, everyone and anyone knew that you stay on a hot shooter which Peja was. That's on the players on the floor, not the coach... coach can only scream so much. If this was Fisher or Kobe or Farmar or even LO, I might agree... but its Vlad. Most of those 3s were not scored on Luke, they were scored on Vlad.

I agree with what RC said above you... Vlad was helping when he didn't need to, i.e. being sucked in when helping couldn't really help since there were enough defenders already there (it reminded me of a few plays against Houston when all five players swarmed in on Kobe when he drove, leaving all the perimeter players open...except, unlike Paul, against Houston, Kobe didn't pass it). So there was Vlad helping when he didn't need to (this is usually a player who is either tired, lazy, or unfocused who just parks themselves near the lane for no reason) or he was just out of the play defensively altogether (my no man's land comment).

Again, I argue it was Vlad... you argue it was Phil. I agree that we should have defended Paul a little different, but IMO, even if we gaurded Paul the same way and Vlad or anyone simply stayed on Peja, the game would have been much closer. That's why I blame this loss more on some bad decisions on offense (TOs and too many 3s instead of going inside) and the individual bad defense on Peja.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
dawglaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject:

i didnt understand why they kept doubling in the post when they obviously knew Peja was on, i think its pretty basic defensive philosphy to not leave your man to double in the post if hes making shots, n to make him put it on the floor when he has the ball :roll:
xanadu
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Despite leaving Peja alone out on the perimeter for target practice, the game was still pretty competitive and winnable.

There were a few key mistakes made in the fourth, and as we know, mistakes at the end of a game are always amplified.
Mation
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB, for the Evans injury update.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: