SUNS -at- LAKERS - 12/25 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
Kobe runs the baseline better than any Laker, including Ceballos.

Nobody vacationed better than ClubCed though.

I'll be disappointed if Ariza and Bynum do not continue to start and get minutes for the Lakers instead of Walton and Brown. I get the point of having Farmar and Ariza on the court at the same time, but the defense that Ariza brings is needed the majority of the game, no matter who is on the court.

Phil should stick with this 5 and allow them to gel.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: SUNS -at- LAKERS - 12/25 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

pmakker wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
[b]
I was planning on taking the game off...but the team's impressive win made it easy to do a little Thoughts and Ratings Lite version:

Told you so.

Yeah, I know.
CorkyTomjanovich
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject:

A concern for me is Space Cadet.

If he isn't getting looks and knocking them down, he is just killing the team. Turnovers, terrible defense, giving up the offensive board off a free throw miss, you name it.

He has the best contract in the NBA. He only has to play 2-3 times a month.
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject:

Kwame's ain't too bad either
winstonemby
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject:

Great analysis as always
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject:

24KaratGold wrote:
One play that really stood out to me:

Lamar (I think) drives into the lane. Ariza stands in the corner and calls for the ball. He misses the 3. Next time down the floor Lamar (?) drives again, but this time Ariza cuts and gets the pass for the dunk.

Ariza recognizes his mistakes and puts himself in positions where they aren't exploited. That made me really happy

It was so annoying at the game.

they guys behind me wanted the lakers to shoot a three every possession, then got pissed whenever they missed.
I was so close to yelling them the third time that they yelled at LO for not shooting an Open three.

but back to my point, right now ariza should not be shooting threes. while his stroke is suprising, his range currently sucks. we should apply the LO rule to him also. No shots outisde of 15 feet.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject:

Aside from those outside shots we don't want Ariza taking, he just fits in the starting lineup.

Luke had to feel like he was watching his own funeral.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Aside from those outside shots we don't want Ariza taking, he just fits in the starting lineup.

Luke had to feel like he was watching his own funeral.

Outside shots should be considered illegal not just for Ariza, but for LO as well.

Ouch! - Am I getting tooo comfortable with DFish takin this outside shot
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject:

PHX is in real trouble. its basically ALL or NOTHING. by selling their draft picks the last 2 years, they have no future to look forward to. not to mention an unhappy Marion and Amare's nagging knee.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject:

targetman wrote:
Kwame's ain't too bad either

Do we now have the best backup center in the league in Kwame Brown?

What other backup center do you know can play good man defense on duncan, garnett, amare, yao, etc.?
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject:

Yup... agree on Kwame's defense on Duncan/Amare/etc. He has proven he can guard them quite well.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject:

I watched the game again last night and a few things stood out to me:

Fish - I think we can all agree that Fish goes under the screen too often, which is a no-no especially against Nash. However, when he's not going under screens, he does a great job of being very physical with Nash. Nash can handle that kind of physical defense early in the game, but you can tell it takes a toll on him. He really wasn't much of a factor in the 4th quarter. Also, it's great to have a 1 who makes Nash work on the defensive end.

Ariza - His basketball IQ on both ends of the court is surprising as well as his overall poise and skill level. He really is a solid midrange jumpshot away from being Kobe's Pippen-lite. We haven't had a 3 with his combination of athleticism, skill and intelligence since James Worthy. On the defensive end, you can see him reading plays before they happen, and once he gets a little more comfortable with the team's defensive schemes, I have no doubt that Phil is going to start using him as a rover more and more. He has the potential to be much more effective in that defensive role than Kobe, Lamar and Luke.

LO - I don't care what the stats say. He thoroughly outplayed Marion. Marion was invisible for most of the game. All of his baskets came off garbage plays, and he had at least 3 baskets at the end of the game when the outcome was pretty much decided. He did a great job of controlling the boards, but he has to do a better job of covering for Drew when his man beats him down the court.

Bynum - What can you say about the kid? Just like LO, he not only negated his man (Amare), but he also practically made him invisible in the game. Amare scored a very quiet 19 and grabbed a measly 6 boards. It's funny that we can now say that we have a player who physically overmatches Amare, but that's what we have in Drew. The funny thing is that Amare can't really take advantage of his quickness advantage over Drew (unless he's in the open court) because he doesn't have the requisite ball handling skills to do so. Drew has learned to cut off penetration from speedy guards. He's not going to have much trouble cutting off Amare's penetration especially since he's a straight-line player.

Farmar - He really solidifies the PG position in tandem with Fish. That's no secret. However, he also did a great job of hounding Barbosa.

Vlad - He didn't score much but appreciated his effort. He played Diaw tough even though Diaw got away with at least 4 offensive fouls (he uses his off arm A LOT).
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Ariza all the time baby!!

My only question is when Luke is healthy again, does he remain retain his starting spot or does he goes where he belongs --> to the 2nd unit? Ariza had like 14/7 and provided ENERGY to that 1st unit. Luke makes some good passes, and maybe his shot is more reliable than Ariza's -- but that's it.

If that was Luke out there and Ariza was not, do we win that game? His added athleticism to this team allows us to match up with a Dallas, SA, or a PHX team that have athletic players that give us trouble. This is without having to put Kobe on their best perimeter player.

How soon can we trade Luke?
dawglaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject:

i'd rather have Ariza roam around on help defense than Kobe n have Kobe stick his man. Kobe has a tendancy to gamble to much whereas Ariza choose when and not too more efficiently
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject:

dawglaker wrote:
i'd rather have Ariza roam around on help defense than Kobe n have Kobe stick his man. Kobe has a tendancy to gamble to much whereas Ariza choose when and not too more efficiently

I agree. Ariza has the potential to be a Pippen-esque rover. Kobe has the speed and length, but he gambles too much and neglects his own assignment far too much when he's in this role. Lamar has the length, but doesn't quite have the speed and IQ to excel in that role. Luke is actually a smarter rover than Kobe or LO but doesn't have the athleticism to maximize his IQ. Ariza has the length, athleticism and IQ to be effective in the rover role. He can also be relied upon to not neglect his own assignment. Finally, since he's a 4th option at best, he can focus most of his energy on the defensive end.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
I watched the game again last night and a few things stood out to me:

Fish - I think we can all agree that Fish goes under the screen too often, which is a no-no especially against Nash. However, when he's not going under screens, he does a great job of being very physical with Nash. Nash can handle that kind of physical defense early in the game, but you can tell it takes a toll on him. He really wasn't much of a factor in the 4th quarter. Also, it's great to have a 1 who makes Nash work on the defensive end.

Ariza - His basketball IQ on both ends of the court is surprising as well as his overall poise and skill level. He really is a solid midrange jumpshot away from being Kobe's Pippen-lite. We haven't had a 3 with his combination of athleticism, skill and intelligence since James Worthy. On the defensive end, you can see him reading plays before they happen, and once he gets a little more comfortable with the team's defensive schemes, I have no doubt that Phil is going to start using him as a rover more and more. He has the potential to be much more effective in that defensive role than Kobe, Lamar and Luke.

LO - I don't care what the stats say. He thoroughly outplayed Marion. Marion was invisible for most of the game. All of his baskets came off garbage plays, and he had at least 3 baskets at the end of the game when the outcome was pretty much decided. He did a great job of controlling the boards, but he has to do a better job of covering for Drew when his man beats him down the court.

Bynum - What can you say about the kid? Just like LO, he not only negated his man (Amare), but he also practically made him invisible in the game. Amare scored a very quiet 19 and grabbed a measly 6 boards. It's funny that we can now say that we have a player who physically overmatches Amare, but that's what we have in Drew. The funny thing is that Amare can't really take advantage of his quickness advantage over Drew (unless he's in the open court) because he doesn't have the requisite ball handling skills to do so. Drew has learned to cut off penetration from speedy guards. He's not going to have much trouble cutting off Amare's penetration especially since he's a straight-line player.

Farmar - He really solidifies the PG position in tandem with Fish. That's no secret. However, he also did a great job of hounding Barbosa.

Vlad - He didn't score much but appreciated his effort. He played Diaw tough even though Diaw got away with at least 4 offensive fouls (he uses his off arm A LOT).

I agree with everything you posted. And - specifically - on Diaw during the postup. Wow! kobe gets called for it but Diaw is excused
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: