SIXERS -at- LAKERS - 1/4 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject:

Fearthefearer wrote:
Remember Kwame 2 years ago went on the run to end the season with something like 14ppg/9rpg.

IF he can return to that, Lakers should resign him to play pf with Bynum!

He is not a powerforward, methinks, but a backup center, as he is being used currrently. With Bynum being athletic and Kwame being a very hard body with some "D," it's a great 1-2 punch actually.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject:

I wouldn't have given Kwame a positive emoticon. He made some nice passes, but way too many times I saw the ball bounce through his hands and he lost a rebound or a pass or nearly lost the pass. It cannot just be his hands why he bobbles so many balls. It is just frustrating, because last night it looked like he wasn't even trying, like he didn't care whether the ball stayed in his hands or went to a Sixer.

To me, I liked JC's game, but it looked to me like he was too busy playing SG than PG. I guess if he is playing alongside Farmar, that will happen, so I shouldn't be that critical, but underneath Crit is a PG, right? So why did it look like he was too busy setting up his own shot rather than other peoples' shots?

And I hate that I am going to do this, but I will anyways. The Sixers are not a good gauge for this team as they stink and they may have stunk no matter who we put out there, but now I have to question Odom's role on this team. It is not fair to him that i do this since he was out for this game, but that was self-induced and he should remember he is not playing football.

But my question is about our need at PF. I like Odom. I like him a lot, but I don't think he and his style of game fit on this team anymore. I think we are seeing that what we really need out there is a traditional PF who can spot up from 15ft but can also bang and get rebounds. Odom does get rebounds, but a lot of that is coming from his change in role this season to be more of that traditional 4. But is that really best for him? Is he the best the Lakers can do at the 4? Is the experiment over for him with the Lakers?

I can see him sticking around if he were thought of less like Scottie Pippen and more like Robert Horry, but I don't see him being as heady or good defensively as Horry is/was.

Maybe I am being too critical of Odom, But I'd be in favor of moving him for another 4. We are set with ball handlers on the team. We are set (if Vlad heals and Sasha continues stroking from the arc) with outside shooters. If Ariza can nail the outside shot every so often, I feel we are set at the 3. Bynum with Kwame, Turiaf, and Mihm backing him up are getting better at the 5. So our greatest deficiency is at the 4 still, and I don't see Odom being able to put us over the hump anymore.

Am I being too critical? Have I completely lost it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: SIXERS -at- LAKERS - 1/4 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
...Out of this game ... Mihm, Vlad and Sasha...Lamar.

Funny, my personal all tradable team.

Not bad at all

DancingBarry wrote:
Without all their options available, the Lakers still rolled over, through and around the Sixers in a 124-93 blowout.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. usually blowouts are boring. after a while I start to lose interest, but our bench got so much playing time, so it was nice to get an extended look at Crit a real look at Karl...and how they played with some of the other players.

was that karl's first bucket? the bench went crazy when he scored

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject:

MasTaFUsion wrote:
First!

Edit: Boring game, but good win nonetheless (look at my game views thread)!

Spam! Is DBs thread not good enough for your game views? j/k

Last edited by Mr. EiGhTy-OnE on Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
hi_ma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject:

Ariza picked up the tri faster than anyone previously IMO. He was an absolute steal. His D will get better IMO because he has uncoachable traits that he is getting better in tuned with. Fun game to watch.

AB's dunk was Wilt-esque

The lakers will get prince.
winstonemby
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject:

MasTaFUsion wrote:
First!

How was that game boring?

Getting to see Bynum get good touches and Crittenton some time wasn't boring at all for me.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject:

By the way, the best part of Bynum's dunk is how big his eyes got when he saw the lane open up. He turned, saw what was there, and you see his eyes and face react.

Priceless!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
The 76ers took 99 shots (not counting FTs) in this game yet only scored 93 points.... that's either really impressive D on the part of the Lakers, really terrible O on the part of the 76ers, or some combination of both.

I love it when we keep a team under 100.... and I don't even get the free tacos.

Mo Cheeks is probably going to have nightmares about this game for a long time.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:

To me, I liked JC's game, but it looked to me like he was too busy playing SG than PG. I guess if he is playing alongside Farmar, that will happen, so I shouldn't be that critical, but underneath Crit is a PG, right? So why did it look like he was too busy setting up his own shot rather than other peoples' shots?

They want him to learn how to play without the ball. So, there are some deliberate things they want him to focus on relating to the SG spot. Phil specifically mentioned this.
Mation
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

I do enjoy these blowouts. I think I'm going to keep this on tape. Some amazing plays and dunks all around. Bynum's running dunk from the free-throw line came in at number one on ESPN. Good and deserved props from the media.

Quote:
Defensively, they also got 9 blocks, controlling the paint on both ends. "I like to block shots," Ronny said. "That's what I enjoy the most...sometimes I'm going to get dunked on, but hopefully I block more shots than I get dunked on." He looked good tonight.

Turiaf's weak-side blocking really cemented the paint defensively. Bynum altering shots to begin with and Turiaf swatting it out of the building.

Also liked the seven three-point attempts and seeing Ariza look real comfortable in the offense.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject:

GunShot wrote:
Quote:
Active game with the passing...some nice looks, too. Amazing the difference in finishing around the rim when Kwame is in the game vs. Bynum. Just shows the growth of Bynum's ability to play above the rim this year versus previous seasons...and Kwame's strange inabilities there.

Seriously, why is it so hard for Kwame to do what Bynum does right now?

because bynum came into this league lacking strength/muscle.

kwame came into this league lacking big/soft hands.

You can improve one of those, not the other.
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject:

MasTaFUsion wrote:
First!

I didn't find it boring at all. I DVR'd the game, and enjoyed seeing our young guys playing well that I watched it twice in the same night.

Jake Speed, 1986
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject:

GunShot wrote:
Quote:
Active game with the passing...some nice looks, too. Amazing the difference in finishing around the rim when Kwame is in the game vs. Bynum. Just shows the growth of Bynum's ability to play above the rim this year versus previous seasons...and Kwame's strange inabilities there.

Seriously, why is it so hard for Kwame to do what Bynum does right now?

It's called heart. The will to work, to improve, and then compete. Kwame simply has none of these. The old saying "if you want to know what people believe, watch what they do not what they say. Strictly from the standpoint of improvement, what has Kwame improved on since the beginning of his career?
Vadorojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Quote:
Out of this game with bum wheels: Mihm, Vlad and Sasha. Out for bum rushing: Lamar.
gold.

Agreed.

Great game ... I was really impressed with Critt ... sometimes I wonder if the people on these boards are right about Critt being a total baller ... but games like this one reassure me. Frankly, I'm really happy that Farmar played well, too, because I don't want to see him benched for Critt. I just wish we had about 15 more back-court minutes to give out because I like Sasha, too!
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:

To me, I liked JC's game, but it looked to me like he was too busy playing SG than PG.

JC was actually playing primarily at SG last night. That was the position Phil wants him to play. Indeed, Phil said he wants JC to not think of himself as a PG (which JC does), but to think of himself as a player. Hench, he came in for Sasha off the bench and mostly ran at SG.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
encina1 wrote:

To me, I liked JC's game, but it looked to me like he was too busy playing SG than PG.

JC was actually playing primarily at SG last night. That was the position Phil wants him to play. Indeed, Phil said he wants JC to not think of himself as a PG (which JC does), but to think of himself as a player. Hench, he came in for Sasha off the bench and mostly ran at SG.
Great balanced play between Farmar and Crit. Good to see that they are working well together, even though there is only 1 potential starting spot opposite Kobe. Although, there are plenty of minutes available, since they like to drop Kobe to the 3 from time to time. I'm looking forward to seeing how this might look:
Farmar
Crit
Kobe
Odom
Bynum
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
encina1 wrote:

In other words, a combo-guard, which is what Phil likes for the Tri anyway.

Jake Speed, 1986
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject:

More on that combo in the Times tonight:

Quote:
Crittenton and Farmar played together Friday against Philadelphia, a trend that could continue with Farmar as the ballhandling guard and Crittenton as the shooting guard.

"It was a little clumsy," Jackson said. "But their ability made up for it. Javaris broke down the team and got passes to guys a couple times when it was obvious our organization wasn't there. Their young legs and their ability were able to bail them out."

Farmar had 16 points and Crittenton had a career-high 19 points.

"He's a scorer and he likes to penetrate, pass the ball or finish at the basket," Jackson said. "He's got the strength to finish at the basket."

LINK
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject:

^Didn't look clumsy to me. Hope Phil has seen the light with Critt vs Sasha
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject:

kobe2bynum24 wrote:
i say we are a elite team. celtics and pistons are the 2 top dogs out east. out west, its the suns, spurs, dallas, denver, hornets, lakers, warriors, utah in the top 8.

we are a better team (and by team i mean depth, bench, starting 5, and also individual matchups) than; the suns(2-0 against them) the mavs, (havent played them yet but prob. 3-1 or 2-1 depending on how many times we play), the nuggetts(2-0 against them), warriors (2-1 against them) and also utah(2-1 against them)

we are 1-1 against the spurs, and 0-1 against the hornets. portland will be a challenge when we face them, but i'm sure we can pull through and beat them. spurs i worry about because of their experience only. hornets i hate because of CP3. chris paul is a beast, and he will allways own the lakers. we suck against quick penetrating PG's who get into the lane at ease, aka....CP3, stevie, tony parker....
It appears that talent-wise, Lakers are getting very close. Experience-wise - they are losing to teams (i.e. Spurs, Celtics, Mavs, Pistons, etc.) with more experience at this time and comparable talent. However, we have seen that the Spurs without Manu are having more problems than when they were without TD or Parker - interesting.

With the Celtics - if the Lakers can take advantage of their mismatches at "5" and the "1" while neutralizing the "Big Three" - they should have a better chance. If LO becomes a consistent threat at the "4" that will prevent from KG from doubling on Bynum - Advantage Lakers. If the Lakers are able to move the ball effectively, Farmar/DFish will find openings either by coming off screens for open looks (DFish) or open to drives in the paint (Farmar) while making Ray Allen/Pierce work on defense - Advantage Lakers.

LO - If he imposes his will on the court to where opponents have to match up with him - Advantage Lakers. If LO plays timid while allowing the opposing player impose their will - Advante - Lakers Opponent
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Mad Chinaman, you do know that the Lakers haven't lost to the Pistons this year and we haven't even played the Mavs yet. Personally, I don't get why you're so sure we can't compete with Dallas when we've always competed with Dallas, and we're a better team this year.

Regardless, by saying we're getting close, I assume you're talking about this season since no one thought we looked close last year. Having said that, how can you comment negatively on how we perform against certain teams we've either beaten this season or haven't yet faced? In truth, the only teams we didn't look competitive against are the Celtics and the one game against the Hornets (which we'll hopefully redeem ourselves from this month).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: