LAKERS -at- CELTICS - 6/8 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clyde
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Home court foul disparity is the same for every team

1. It ain't over.
2. Fouls. There is always going to be a big disparity favoring the home team. That's the NBA and if you think it isn't true, you're delusional. The situation favors a team that takes it to the hole and doesn't mean as much to a jump-shooting team.
3. Worst refereed game this year (I watched pretty much every playoff game this year) - game 6 (or was it 4?) of Celtics-Cavs was just like last night's game, but it was the Celtics who were getting screwed.
4. Home Court. 80% percentage for the home team. The biggest disparity in any sport.
viper2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject:

We have to get this thing to a game 7. If we can stem off elmimation and bring about a 7th game, typically the refs will swallow the whistles and let u play it out. Nobody wants the zebras impacting the game with recurring whistles every other trip down the floor.

Dude said it well right here..........so true

Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject:

dp

Last edited by Mr. EiGhTy-OnE on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject:

Luca Brasi wrote:
Vadorojo wrote:
As painful as it was to watch us lose, I'm glad we can leave this game with some dignity. It's still staggering to think that we were down by 24, yes, -24- with about 7:40 left and got it down to 2. Thank you, Lakers, for showing some pride and heart out there, especially during a game that was ludicrously, blatantly, 8-5.

absolutely. a lot of poeple are pissed about the loss and rightfully so, but this team has a lot of character - they never stopped playing. most teams would've mailed it in the the third. but this team has balls and it showed. kudos for not giving up lakers

true, that's the only positive thing I can take from this loss. I'm not as angry about the loss as I thought I would be.

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
filipensses
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject:

Aside from the fact that this was one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen, one thing still worries me: the Lakers, even caming close in both games, STILL DIDN'T FIND A SINGLE CELTICS WEAKNESS TO EXPLOIT.

For 96 minutes, we didn't manage to discover A SINGLE WAY to score consistently on them. Best option so far looks like Gasol down low and Kobe on iso's. I don't wanna sound pessimistic, but although I'D HATE TO LOSE TO THE CELTICS this series has 2004 finals written all over it. It was exactly like this at that time, and I just hope history does not repeat itself. And since one of our major strengths is capitalizing on drawing fouls, things became worse, because now it's pretty clear that we can't touch them. And even if we get a better treatment from the refs in LA, we'd still have to win in Boston to win the championship. And THAT, the refs have already made it clear it's not going to happen. I'm heavily concerned about how this series will end.

PS: No wonder Boston has won all those titles...way easier when you're playing 8 on 5...
filipensses
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject:

prisma8slg wrote:
Luca Brasi wrote:
Vadorojo wrote:
As painful as it was to watch us lose, I'm glad we can leave this game with some dignity. It's still staggering to think that we were down by 24, yes, -24- with about 7:40 left and got it down to 2. Thank you, Lakers, for showing some pride and heart out there, especially during a game that was ludicrously, blatantly, 8-5.

absolutely. a lot of poeple are pissed about the loss and rightfully so, but this team has a lot of character - they never stopped playing. most teams would've mailed it in the the third. but this team has balls and it showed. kudos for not giving up lakers

true, that's the only positive thing I can take from this loss. I'm not as angry about the loss as I thought I would be.

Well, we sort of did it - as Pierce made it a 2-possession game by hitting his FT's, I couldn't help but think on how it should be a 1-possession if it weren't for that INEXCUSABLE COAST-TO-COAST DUNK BY POWE (c'mon, who's this guy? Isn't there anyone on this team able to stop him?)

I guess I'm really angry...
BT
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject:

prisma8slg wrote:
Luca Brasi wrote:
Vadorojo wrote:

Celtics have a lot to do with that too. They're a horrible team in the 4Q. In fact, I was really pissed because Lakers trashed the chance of winning game 1 when they were that close at the end of the 3rd.

I'd expect Celtics to lose any game they aren't winning by 10 at least at the beginning of the 4th.
Magic'sSon
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject:

bchang2001 wrote:
plus the score keeper ran a good total of 5 secs off the clock during the last 1 min of play.

bchang, I to noticed this It was done very late in the game and also somewhere around the 1:30-2:00 minute mark. The Lakers had scored and I believe Pierce held the boy before given it to the guy who was taking it out...all the while, the damn clock was running
SladeRider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject:

The Lakers have to do what they've done throughout the playoffs, win their home games, they are capable and have the best home record during the playoffs. The officiating should swing in the Lakers favour being at home and a 3-2 lead is not hard to imagine.
TooCool
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject:

Can't say it enough. F the NBA and their refs.
jmark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject:

Critical sequence to me is Kobe's early foul trouble. Even the announcers said let them play. 38-10 is an embarrassment to the league & still Doc was crying on ever call. I expect a Laker love fest in game 3 then back to more of the same the rest of the way. Gotta say I was proud of the Lakers for the rally. We may one missing AB from being ready.....
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject:

Hope we can overcome enormous odds (i.e. Boston + refs) to reach our ultimate goal.
NY_LakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
Sorry, DB. That was all refs. They took the heart out of this team, starting in the mid-first qtr. I'm surprised this team was resilient enough to even try and come back after a public gang-raping by the refs. As crooked a game as i've ever seen and I've been a fan of the NBA for a long time.

Literally, that was the worst officiated gae I've ever seen. Systemetic bias ahgainst one team that was unprecedented.

You can't expect a young team, or even a veteran team, to keep its composure when it's that blatant out there. That explains the third qtr, IMO. They realized they were being robbed publicly and got down on themselves. Even when they came back valiantly the refs still jobbed them on the pierece call and the no-call on Sasha's three.

Highway robbery. The league is officially corrupt from where i stand.

SGH

I agree 110%. I have never seen a more obvious and blatant officiating bias against a team in my 5 decades as an NBA fan. I was so upset by late in the second quarter that I did something I have NEVER done before ... turned the game off. It was literally making me ill. I then penned a letter (email) to the NBA and let them CLEARLY know my feelings

I do not look at the world through PnG glasses. I certainly realize we that we have had more than our fair share of biased officiating over the years. But this was so outrageously blatant that it was impossible to ignore or even attempt to explain away. And now I have to face my friends who have long laughed at me for following a sport as corrupt as the NBA.

I love basketball. I am obsessed with basketball as a sport. The NBA as it is currently being run is NOT a sport but rather a cash generating business that does whatever it takes to maximize profits. I am honestly not sure I can watch it any more. It is taking on the same stank as "pro" wrestling.

PS: I fully expect the refs to outrageously favor us in at least the next two games. Doesn't matter. I watch sports for the competition. The thrill of watching my team fight hard and win ... or lose. Watching games with predetermined outcomes is NOT sports.
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject:

interesting note about the fourth, though pau was out there, i don't think he took a single shot.

we took 23 shots in the fourth. 11 of them were threes. and yet it worked. this team, as much as people don't like to say it, is a shooting team. the current construction is based on us taking threes.
hi_ma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject:

10scott10 wrote:
interesting note about the fourth, though pau was out there, i don't think he took a single shot.

we took 23 shots in the fourth. 11 of them were threes. and yet it worked. this team, as much as people don't like to say it, is a shooting team. the current construction is based on us taking threes.

pau draws guys to him for the wide open pass shot. pau just standing there opens the game. Agree though we are jump shooting team. shame considering how pau is so skilled down low

The lakers will get prince.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject:

DB Questions:

1) It appears that the Celtics are flooding on the strong/ball side (i.e. zoning up) with recovering quickly on the weakside, what are the Lakers' counters that have been successful in the past since it has been shown that a Lakers weakness is attacking zone defenses? Why are they having problems getting the ball to Pau in the middle to collapse their zone defenses - along with why are they getting the properly spzcing to make the Celtics' fouls more obvious to the refs?

2) Why aren't the Lakers doing more of their "hi-low" triangle options with Pau and LO in the paint area?

3) Lakers' temporary weakness - the bench: This is the first time for the vast majority of the Lakers to be in The Finals - everybody except Kobe, DFish and Luke. Plus they started The Finals on the road against the best defensive team in the NBA - they have been baptized in playing in big games, they now need to follow Kobe's lead on how to WIN these games. As stated in the Tiger Woods' article in today's L.A. Times - Tiger wins because he is mentally the toughest because just about any golfer on the PGA tour and in the NBA are stars within their world, that's what the Lakers need to learn with the best teacher in the NBA on their side!
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject:

DB, we were robbed, point blank. I think some of those lapses we had were the result of our players losing focus due to the obviously offixiated game.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject:

that game was sickening. the fouls being called on the lakers were fine (except for kobe's first two), but the fouls that were not called on the celts were UNBELIEVABLE. i know home court encourages refs to favor the home team a little, but that was just ridiculous. lakers should have had at least 10 more free throws than they got (and probably more).

a foul is a foul, regardless of who or what team commits it. be consistent damn it. there were times i was getting so sickened by the officials that i was tempted to turn off the game a couple of times, and i NEVER, EVER feel like turning a laker game off regardless of the result. i've dismissed conspiracy theories (and i still do) but this was egregious. something, anything needs to be done to fix this incompetence -- david stern, time to take a close look at the lackluster ratings even this storied rivalry is getting and realize that incompetent and inconsistent reffing is a big part of the disinterest in the nba these days.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
that game was sickening. the fouls being called on the lakers were fine (except for kobe's first two), but the fouls that were not called on the celts were UNBELIEVABLE. i know home court encourages refs to favor the home team a little, but that was just ridiculous. lakers should have had at least 10 more free throws than they got (and probably more).

a foul is a foul, regardless of who or what team commits it. be consistent damn it. there were times i was getting so sickened by the officials that i was tempted to turn off the game a couple of times, and i NEVER, EVER feel like turning a laker game off regardless of the result. i've dismissed conspiracy theories (and i still do) but this was egregious. something, anything needs to be done to fix this incompetence -- david stern, time to take a close look at the lackluster ratings even this storied rivalry is getting and realize that incompetent and inconsistent reffing is a big part of the disinterest in the nba these days.
Some Observations

It has been said that since the refs weren't used to the Lakers adapting a more physical style (i.e. looked unnatural), they were calling the fouls on the Lakers

Rick Fox has shared that the Lakers need to get more physical on all "off-ball" action so that they can bump the Celtics in their offensive schemes.

Since the Lakers didn't match the Celtics' energy (i.e.they were getting the rebouncs over the back of Pau, LO and Vlad) without seriously fouling.

They need to fulfill PJ's mission to get better spacing to make the fouls more obvious to the refs so that they have to call the fouls.

The Lakers are an inexperienced bunch in winning big and important games - otherwise, how could you account for Turiaff getting no rebounds in Game 2?!?!
_SPANISH LEGEND_
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject:

How is possible those ratings??? Pau and Fisher were the best of this team all the match, but Phil's strategy to all the shoots for Kobe who was A DISASTER all the match until last quarter was the death for L.A. When Pau was 6-6 in the first half, why they dont continue pass him the ball??? And in the second half the same thing. Two consecutive baskets for put L.A -9. And he didnt shoot any throws more in the rest of the match, because noone pass him the ball....
kups
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject:

8750 wrote:
talking about basketball:
1- we definitely need to play transition, but it's almost impossible to run with a line up with rad or walton as sf... rad can sometimes be effective at pf... we need to play kobe at sf and sasha at sg...
2- we need to put pressure on their guards, it's the only way to get the chance to play transition...
3- i hope that our coach will understand that our desperation strategy should be our regular strategy... play much more pick and rolls... their defense is perfectly ready to play against this version of triangle, while they can't defend p&r...
4- let's play man on man defense, never never let their shooters wide open...
5- please, let's make some screens for kobe...

spot on

thanks for the recap DB
#2 Lonzo
#28 Derrick White, Jordan Bell, Deonte Burton
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

Some Observations

It has been said that since the refs weren't used to the Lakers adapting a more physical style (i.e. looked unnatural), they were calling the fouls on the Lakers

Rick Fox has shared that the Lakers need to get more physical on all "off-ball" action so that they can bump the Celtics in their offensive schemes.

Since the Lakers didn't match the Celtics' energy (i.e.they were getting the rebouncs over the back of Pau, LO and Vlad) without seriously fouling.

They need to fulfill PJ's mission to get better spacing to make the fouls more obvious to the refs so that they have to call the fouls.

The Lakers are an inexperienced bunch in winning big and important games - otherwise, how could you account for Turiaff getting no rebounds in Game 2?!?!

The fouls they committed weren't hard to spot, they occurred right under the refs noses. They willfully chose not to call them.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: