NUGGETS -at- LAKERS - 11/21 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
TobiasBeecher wrote:
Great defensive teams are rarely exciting.
Personally, I like watching teams get after it on that end. I like seeing guys impose their will on D and the team rotate and defend so well that they look like they have an extra man on the floor. This team gives us a lot to watch on that end of the floor, especially with Drew out there patrolling.

I turned on the game yesterday when the Lakers already had a 25 point lead in the second quarter, so I may have missed a lot of great defensive action, but from what I saw of the game their defense wasn't that great last night. Yes, they had some good swarms and some great steals, but they also gave up a good number of easy shots under the hoop.

I'm not complaining. 10-1 is fantastic and their D has improved tremendously from last year. They are giving up fewer points per game than any Laker team in decades. I still think, though, that they can and should continue to get better.
sone212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
I turned on the game yesterday when the Lakers already had a 25 point lead in the second quarter, so I may have missed a lot of great defensive action, but from what I saw of the game their defense wasn't that great last night. Yes, they had some good swarms and some great steals, but they also gave up a good number of easy shots under the hoop.

True, but they only got 90 points and that was with garbage time. Some easy shots under the hoop but they were too far in between to make any difference or the Lakers traded baskets with them. Either way, the Nuggets fans were pissed.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject:

There are certain teams that play a more conventional style of D, like Denver. Some of us call it "no D." Anyways the Lakers execute much better against man to man coverage than zones, especially the tightly packed zone of Boston and Detroit. So while we looked good against Denver, we still have our work cut out for us in finding a way to penetrate those lane camping zones.

Even though Powell's offense around the glass is wild and inefficient, his activity on the glass is something we can really use against Boston, especially on the offensive glass. It will be good if we can find some minutes for Powell this year.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Great writeup as usual. Here are a few George Karl thoughts:
Quote:
''They have a lot of offensive weapons, and they've turned themselves into a pretty good defensive team,'' Denver coach George Karl said. ''They're much improved defensively from last year, and they haven't had a close game.''

Anthony, the runner-up to Bryant for the league scoring title in 2006-07, had 10 points on 5-for-19 shooting and is averaging just 16.3 points over his last six games. He has scored 30 or more points 57 times since the start of the '06-07 season, the third-highest total during that stretch behind LeBron James (77) and Bryant (75).

''I think it's very difficult to be a star when defenses are designed and manipulated to take you out and stop you from being successful,'' Karl said. ''Right now we're not getting a lot of opportunities for him. He's taking a lot of tough shots and getting frustrated over the shot selection. I think he's got to be patient and work with us, and we'll figure out how to help him gain more success.''

Which leads me to PJ's thoughts:
Quote:
''We focused on not giving him open opportunities, getting a body on him when he gets the basketball, turning him to the baseline a lot of times and trying to keep him from the middle so he couldn't penetrate,'' Jackson said. ''Vlade (Radmanovic) did a good job on him and I thought guys focused on him and knew where he was.''

Source

Melo has notoriously killed us. Kind of OT, but can we do the same to Pierce? If we can have similar successes against Pierce we will take Boston out in 5 games in the Finals this year. Like Pierce, Melo is their offensive engine. Last night's game give me the thought that will be a special year indeed for our beloved Lakers. PJ and Karl's thoughts prove to me that they have made a concertive effort to take out what teams like to do. Good to see.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject:

great write up! Oh yeah - I still am adamant about trading Sasha for JR Smith.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject:

Great observation about LO, DB. He's understanding a different role in the tri and working off the ball much better this year than ever before. Therefore, he's getting some easier scores via layups and dunks and becoming more effective. The baseline run he had off a Kobe pass in the Phx game and the one he had last night off a Bynum feed shows you that he doesn't necessarily need to take someone off the dribble all the time.

It was a pretty ho-hum game, but when you consider how dominant the team has been, it's been exciting to watch the team evolve. Still, Kobe's dynamic game makes you want to watch. Plus Ariza's all-out energy, Pau's vision and Bynum's development = must see TV.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Klone_DD I wonder if this team can be beat if Kobe is hot.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject:

8750 wrote:
thanks, DB
you're achieving great literary peaks...

Glad to see it got you to post. Hope all is well.
Mation
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: