SUNS -at- LAKERS - 12/10 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject:

While they can't practice on the road, there is no excuse for the half assed effort. Our eyes don't lie; these guys talk it up in the paper, but fail to take pride on their defense when the second the game begins. How could they possibly surrender 110 points to a dispirited Suns team lacking Shaq and JRich?
Caught in the devil's bargain
And we've got to get ourselves
Back to the garden

-Joni Mitchell
LAL4K3RS
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject:

I guarentee that the Suns will lose the next game big. They played over thier heads against us. Flat out played with all thier heart and they came up short. I tip my hat to the Suns for making the game close, but in the end, it was still a lock down win by the Lakers.

As for only having 8 players in the Suns rotation, that doesn't really matter because Shaq doesn't make the Suns a better team in my opinion. He slows them down way too much and he would have been a huge liability vs Bynum. We still owned the paint, but Shaq would have made this game look like the blow out everyone expected. They will suffer one last year with him and then he retires or moves over to Europe for a few more paychecks.

I also think getting Richardson cost the Suns WAY too much in player depth. It was another reason I am so very glad we have Mitch as our Trade machine. I would never have made that deal...not for one player.
This Laker Organization has not yet hit bottom. It is moving there quickly, and I suspect this year we will see zero talent coming to the Lakers and we will trade away Kuz and BI for old vets in the hopes of giving LeBronze some scapegoats.
king255
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject:

Well, considering I've trashed Fish all season, time to give him prop where prop is due. I think this was a game where if we started Farmar instead of Fish, we could have lost outright.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject:

You're creative writing skills are very impressive DB.
-----
Kobe is in super duper cruise mode. He is beyond tired. It looks like he is very content to let Pau take over and carry this team. I don't expect a super aggressive Kobe except in big games until the playoffs. I fear that may ruin the team's rhythm as the guys stand and watch, not being used to it.
-----
Pau is the man. He really is putting his mark on every game. He could be meaner on the defensive end, but that's my only complaint.
-----
I agree the team looks to have chemistry issues. The bigs look tired of guarding the paint and covering for the non stop penetration. Instead of acting as if the paint is their home and it's being invaded; they seem to be owners of a bed and breakfast inviting the patronage.
-----
This team ignores Bynum a lot in the post in the 4th quarter. A lot! That's not good hen he is actually tracking down the boards aggressively and establishing great post position.
-----
Not playing Vlad was viscious. He didn't deserve the DNP. I don't see how this helps team chemistry.
-----
LO finished at the rim like he is suppose to. The way he dunked the ball in traffic gave the team a gigantic boost. Kind of.
-----
Sasha, Fish and Luke played well. Thank God.
-----
DB you're the greatest!
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
While they can't practice on the road, there is no excuse for the half assed effort. Our eyes don't lie; these guys talk it up in the paper, but fail to take pride on their defense when the second the game begins. How could they possibly surrender 110 points to a dispirited Suns team lacking Shaq and JRich?

They didn't look dispirited to me, in fact, they looked like a bunch of eager players just happy to be guaranteed a lot of minutes.

I agree with the half assed assessment.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject:

Re: Ariza's struggles.

Part of the reason he is struggling now vs start of the year is the jumpshot. Start of the year he was getting 2-3 baskets around the rim, but also making 1-2 open looks. Teams have figured out that he loves to drive from the wings and corner/baesline and they've stayed off him, giving him the jumper. He's not making most of his jumpers, and then instead of moving the ball, he's driving into the paint and then trying to do something in there against 2-3 players.

Ariza has poor court vision at times. He'll put his head down and drive, shoot over 1-2 help defenders when another Laker is wide open inside or on the perimeter. Ariza has to recognize the dish part of the driving game. You can't be a pure driver in the Triangle offense and with the type of team LA has.

IMO Ariza's being a bit selfish out there and that is in part why he's also struggling (he seems too interested in taking his 7-8 shots per game above all else). His man D needs to improve too, way too much reaching that is getting him out of position.

I think he'll recover though. Ariza is a very good athlete and has some great abilities, but to become a bigger part of the team, he needs to develop better basketball fundamentals. Last night, I thought Walton outplayed him and had even hoped that Radmanovic would have been out there with the 2nd unit instead of him, in the 2nd half. Simply because although I love Ariza, right now his gambling on D and lack of jumpshot (and forcing shots) are on the main weak links on the 2nd unit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject:

Glad to see Sasha have his first really good game of the year, we really needd it tonight.

I feel bad for Vlade, he has played so well, but then Luke has had plenty of DNP too. Would like to have seen Lamar get more of the minutes.

Kobe, Farmar, Ariza are all playing like they got money of the other team right now.

But a win is a win. We really need to regroup with Sac-town coming in. They got our number, and know how to play us right now.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject:

If Vlad is in the dog house, why not start Sasha? since Phil obviously wont start Ariza or LO? (i think LO should have started last night, he's just as good of a passer as Luke) As a defender I would rather leave Vlad open than Sasha.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

They didn't look dispirited to me, in fact, they looked like a bunch of eager players just happy to be guaranteed a lot of minutes.

Sorry, not to me. Robin Lopez and Matt Barnes, yeah, but they're role players. The real leaders (Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire) were coasting for most of the game. Given the Laker defensive apathy, Amare could have easily scored more than 21. Nash looked like he needed anti-depressants.
Caught in the devil's bargain
And we've got to get ourselves
Back to the garden

-Joni Mitchell
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

Kobe does indeed look tired or lazy. Haven't seen that before over a string of games. In Sunday's game vs the Bucks, he was incredible, blanketing and denying Redd. It really inspired the team to put out the defensive effort. If he's on cruise control, that is going to inspire the team in the wrong direction. He's normally able to pick his spots and "flame on", which helps the team more than being on cruise control for an entire game.

Pau is showing all facets of his game. Passing, midrange Js, low post, running the floor. MVP for the 1st quarter of the season.

Welcome back, Machine!
king255
Star Player
Star Player

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Re: Ariza's struggles.

Part of the reason he is struggling now vs start of the year is the jumpshot. Start of the year he was getting 2-3 baskets around the rim, but also making 1-2 open looks. Teams have figured out that he loves to drive from the wings and corner/baesline and they've stayed off him, giving him the jumper. He's not making most of his jumpers, and then instead of moving the ball, he's driving into the paint and then trying to do something in there against 2-3 players.

Ariza has poor court vision at times. He'll put his head down and drive, shoot over 1-2 help defenders when another Laker is wide open inside or on the perimeter. Ariza has to recognize the dish part of the driving game. You can't be a pure driver in the Triangle offense and with the type of team LA has.

IMO Ariza's being a bit selfish out there and that is in part why he's also struggling (he seems too interested in taking his 7-8 shots per game above all else). His man D needs to improve too, way too much reaching that is getting him out of position.

I think he'll recover though. Ariza is a very good athlete and has some great abilities, but to become a bigger part of the team, he needs to develop better basketball fundamentals. Last night, I thought Walton outplayed him and had even hoped that Radmanovic would have been out there with the 2nd unit instead of him, in the 2nd half. Simply because although I love Ariza, right now his gambling on D and lack of jumpshot (and forcing shots) are on the main weak links on the 2nd unit.

Farmar is the weak link in the 2nd unit, not Ariza. Ariza's done enough where he deserves the benefit of the doubt. Can't just take a couple games sample and ignore what's he done throughout the season.
king255
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Rick12322 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Sorry, not to me. Robin Lopez and Matt Barnes, yeah, but they're role players. The real leaders (Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire) were coasting for most of the game. Given the Laker defensive apathy, Amare could have easily scored more than 21. Nash looked like he needed anti-depressants.

Sorry, but Amare didn't look like he was coasting to me. I thought he was trying very hard to prove that he wasn't inferior to Bynum(who also tried hard, but not his best, and I think if these two went against each other exclusively, with exactly the same effort, they'd probably play each other even).

And Amare did score 21, so our bigs did an even better job than I thought. For all their faults on the P&R(which is still better than 80% of the teams in the league), it seems they are very stingy on the other team's star bigs. And hey, in the end, it's still defense.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: SUNS -at- LAKERS - 12/10 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
It's time for Kobe to start setting the tone for the team on the defensive end.

Yep. His defense last night was atrocious. I don't care about the missed jumpers. It's the lack of effort defensively that is inexcusable, especially against an undersized team like Phoenix. He can get his rest offensively while Bynum and Pau destroy them on the interior.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Farmar is the weak link in the 2nd unit, not Ariza. Ariza's done enough where he deserves the benefit of the doubt. Can't just take a couple games sample and ignore what's he done throughout the season.

Ariza has no doubt earned the PT. I would love to see Farmar have to compete for his minutes again, it's a crying shame that Sun Yue is just not ready for the NBA right now or that we don't have a veteran 3rd PG on the team.

Farmar's game and style is always going to be a bit erratic. Even Steve Nash the best PG in the game for a couple of years (2004-2006) was very erratic when he first came into the league. It took Nash the right system and freedom to make mistakes to really maximize his game. It also took him 5-6 years to reach a very high level and be comfortable running a NBA team.

Now Farmar will not reach Nash's level - even the level we saw in Dallas with Dirk - IMO but he will get better with time. He needs the time and freedom though. No matter what level he reaches, I always expect him to be a bit erratic. Simply because that is his game. He's a speedy point guard that has to be aggressive with the ball. You'll see some bad decisions, TO's etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Rigged4fun
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject:

Is China catching up to Kobe? His defense is not only lacking but almost non-existent. The whole defensive scheme sucks. They need to reevaluate the defensive scheme. There's no rotation because the trap man is totally taken out of play and that leave 2 guys to guard 4 in a poorly conceived zone.

Kobe is tired. His shot tragectory is almost flat. His explosiveness is almost gone. He needs some time to recouperate. He cannot carry the team right now, his shot grows from necessity rather than confidence.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: SUNS -at- LAKERS - 12/10 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Rick12322 wrote:
Those are my thoughts on the team summed up to this game. Hope you don't mind, it seems a good place to share thoughts on a game, unless you'd rather I made my own topic?

No, posting it here if fine. Good post.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Rick12322 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

That's ok, maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention.
Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Rigged4fun wrote:
Is China catching up to Kobe? His defense is not only lacking but almost non-existent. The whole defensive scheme sucks. They need to reevaluate the defensive scheme. There's no rotation because the trap man is totally taken out of play and that leave 2 guys to guard 4 in a poorly conceived zone.

Kobe is tired. His shot tragectory is almost flat. His explosiveness is almost gone. He needs some time to recouperate. He cannot carry the team right now, his shot grows from necessity rather than confidence.
Then he should stop trying to because this team doesn't need it. He should focus on defense, and coast and be a decoy on offense instead of the other way around, and let the bigs do most of the work. We'd be a far better team. He also needs to stop dribbling so much and focus on passing.

“You’ve got to play with pride and guts.” -LO
Skate
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
PJ is a jerk. I thoutght the benching of Vlad seemed arbitrary and punitive. Frankly, Kobe and Fish have been bigger problems in the recent run of games.

As for Luke: whatever he brings he takes wasy with porous D and non-existent shooting. Vlad was moving the ball plenty well. In fact, the team's offense HAS NOT been a problem. I think Vlad is being made a scapegoat for the team's collective lack of will to play defense, and it stinks.

I wish PJ would look in the mirror and ask himself why this team never practices defense (if ESPN is to be believed).

SGH

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments in life that take our breath away"
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB!

Luke looked good out there offensively. He's no Vlad, but I fully expect our offensive efficiency to improve with him in the lineup. He fed Drew and Pau for some easy baskets that they probably wouldn't get if Vlad were in there. Of course he is still is a defensive liability...
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: SUNS -at- LAKERS - 12/10 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

LakersMD wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
It's time for Kobe to start setting the tone for the team on the defensive end.

Yep. His defense last night was atrocious. I don't care about the missed jumpers. It's the lack of effort defensively that is inexcusable, especially against an undersized team like Phoenix. He can get his rest offensively while Bynum and Pau destroy them on the interior.

I agree, kobe showed us against the bucks that he can still lock down guys when he wants to. However, he has been roaming recently on defense. I think that has to stop. what made the lakers defense work to start the season was a roamer, but the roaming player was just the weakside defender shading towards the middle. Kobe does follow his man on cuts, and will just float to the strong side and out of reaction distance from his man.

If sticks to man his man better, i feel that a lot of the open perimeter shots don't occur.

Also, why doesn't he run out to the open man when he is the closest guy. they are taking the three. try to get even close to them atleast, if you insist on being out of position.

also, on a different note, i really liked how the offense looked with luke. he looked like he did during his contract year. he also knows how to play our defense, as shown by a few nice plays, but just isn't physically capable of playing consistent man defense. I feel he would a nice player to get limited minutes at the start of each half, just to get our offense in rhythm.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: