July 12th: "Lakers Sign Shammond Williams" "Lakers Best Memphis"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: July 12th: "Lakers Sign Shammond Williams" "Lakers Best Memphis"

Lakers Add Guard to Mix
Broderick Turner

10:00 PM PDT on Tuesday, July 11, 2006
By BRODERICK TURNER
The Press-Enterprise

LONG BEACH - Shammond Williams, who has been out of the NBA for the past two seasons, has agreed to a one-year contract to join the Lakers.

Williams' agent, Bill Duffy, said his client will sign for the biannual exception of $1.75 million today.

Duffy said the holdup had been working out a deal to buy Williams out of a contract with his old team in Spain, which Duffy said is "pretty much done."

Williams, a 6-foot guard who is best known as a shooter more than a "true" point guard, is the second free agent with whom the Lakers have agreed to a contract.

Vladimir Radmanovic agreed on July 1 to the mid-level exception that will pay him about $29 million over five years. Radmanovic, who played for the Clippers last season, will sign his contract today, the first official day free agents can sign. Radmanovic, a 6-10 forward known for his outside shooting, will be introduced at a news conference today.

Last edited by Phil on Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject:

Lakers' Brown Won't Face Sex Assault Charges
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer
July 12, 2006

Prosecutors on Tuesday rejected filing sexual assault charges against Lakers center Kwame Brown because of a lack of evidence.

A college student accused Brown, 24, of sexual assault during the Lakers' first-round playoff series against the Phoenix Suns. Brown steadfastly maintained his innocence and on Tuesday expressed his anger and frustration at the allegations after prosecutors declined to file charges.

"Two months ago I assured everyone that I was completely innocent of any wrongdoing," Brown said in a statement. "I am gratified that the authorities have come to the same conclusion and that the matter is being dropped. I have been upset and frustrated to be wrongly and very publicly accused of something that I did not do and to have my name and reputation so unfairly damaged."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject:

Brown will not be charged with sexual assault
BY ROSS SILER, Staff Writer

Lakers center Kwame Brown will not be charged in connection with an alleged sexual assault reported in April, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office said Tuesday.

A medical exam of the 23-year-old accuser, a Long Beach State student, "revealed no signs of forcible sexual assault," according to prosecutors. Brown issued a statement Tuesday through his agent calling the allegations "completely unfounded."

"Two months ago I assured everyone that I was completely innocent of any wrongdoing," Brown said. "I am gratified that the authorities have come to the same conclusion and that the matter is being dropped.

"I have been upset and frustrated to be wrongly and very publicly accused of something that I did not do and to have my name and reputation so unfairly damaged.

"It is nothing short of despicable that in today's environment completely unfounded allegations can so easily be made against someone in the public eye with no accountability whatsoever.

"And even when the truth is finally determined the stain of an allegation remains with no real recourse against or penalty to the accuser. There is no point served by any further comment on the situation and I simply would like Laker fans to know that I am putting

it behind me and focused on advancing my career and helping my team in any way I can."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject:

No charges filed against Lakers' Brown

10:00 PM PDT on Tuesday, July 11, 2006
From Staff and News Services

LOS ANGELES - Prosecutors rejected a sexual assault claim against Lakers center Kwame Brown on Tuesday because of a lack of evidence.

The allegation was made during the Lakers' first-round Western Conference playoff series with Phoenix and had been under investigation since.

Brown, who denied any wrongdoing and was never arrested, said he was "gratified" by the decision but upset that his reputation had been besmirched.

"Two months ago I assured everyone that I was completely innocent of any wrongdoing," the 24-year-old said in a statement. "I have been upset and frustrated to be wrongly and very publicly accused of something that I did not do and to have my name and reputation so unfairly damaged.

"It is nothing short of despicable that in today's environment completely unfounded accusations can so easily be made against someone in the public eye with no accountability whatsoever."

Deputy District Attorney Darci Johnson wrote in an evaluation of the case that the decision not to prosecute was made after "a medical exam of the victim was reviewed and revealed no signs of forcible sexual assault."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject:

Learning Experience

12:44 AM PDT on Wednesday, July 12, 2006
By GREGG PATTON
The Press-Enterprise

LONG BEACH - Jordan Farmar remembers coming to watch NBA Summer Pro League games when he was in high school.

"I saw (Phoenix star) Shawn Marion, the year he came out," said the Lakers' first-round draft pick, now a featured attraction at the Pyramid on the Cal State Long Beach campus. "I wanted to see the new guys coming up, same as everybody else who comes here."

What they see is professional basketball at its ... most illusory?

Take Andrew Bynum, the Lakers' No. 1 pick last year. As he was last year, Bynum is still the most closely watched man in the building. For a good reason.

He is a 7-foot, 275-pound centerpiece of hope for the franchise. Huge, athletic and energetic, Bynum at his best looks like a happy ending for the Lakers. If Kobe Bryant can just hang on for another year or two, and wait for the big kid to catch up, maybe they'll have something. There are days here when he looks absolutely big-time.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Another close game for Lakers in summer league
BY ROSS SILER, Staff Writer

LONG BEACH - The Lakers played more close games than just about anybody in the NBA last season. So why not continue the trend Tuesday night in their third summer-league game?
They did just that in an 87-84 victory over Memphis at the Pyramid and maybe learned a couple of things in the process.

For starters, Andrew Bynum can make free throws when they matter (at least in July) and Jordan Farmar isn't afraid of making the big play down the stretch or sticking his nose where it doesn't belong on the court.

Bynum went 8 of 15 from the foul line Tuesday but hit two free throws with 59.6 seconds left to cap his 24-point, 7-rebound game. Farmar drove for a layup with 34.1 seconds left and the Lakers survived from there.

“I was shooting them pretty good up until today,” Bynum said of his free throws. “I'm probably going to go shoot some right now.”
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: