LAKERS -at- NUGGETS - 5-16-23 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -at- NUGGETS - 5-16-23 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
2 blocks (uh, this is wrong)

Right? This doesn't make much sense and I'd have to watch again but it looked like he had 4 or 5 blocks?
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Corey78 wrote:
Rui isn' stopping Jokic. Jokic is a two-time mvp. I partly think it had less to do with Rui and more to do with Jokic. He played more than 40 minutes when he usually plays around 33 minutes. He will fatigue if we keep the pace up. I think our best bet is to tire him out so that he become less productive as the game goes on.

It’s always about different looks. Same thing we did with Steph…we threw Vando, Dennis and some Reaves. We also didn’t shy away from them trying to get AD on him.

Limiting Jokic will be a team effort with AD, Rui, Lebron and even Gabriel and Tristan just for different looks.

In addition to just really hot shooting, we just can’t let Murray do what he did last night. He is literally what makes them go from a good offensive team to a championship worthy offense.

Yeah, it's not about stopping Jokic. It's about finding ways to make the offense less efficient as it works through him. It's getting possessions down from 1.3 PPP to 1.0 or something. Small tweaks over the course of a game. Moving them from most efficient scoring option to least efficient. It doesn't even mean Rui is always on him, but having more size out there in general to rebound to save us a few more possessions over the course of a game.

And then, yes, making them work harder. We lost that battle in the first half last night. Wasn't even close, which is annoying. We made things way too easy.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 11:23 am    Post subject:

Corey78 wrote:
Rui isn' stopping Jokic. Jokic is a two-time mvp. I partly think it had less to do with Rui and more to do with Jokic. He played more than 40 minutes when he usually plays around 33 minutes. He will fatigue if we keep the pace up. I think our best bet is to tire him out so that he become less productive as the game goes on.

Rui on Jokic will help tire him out, especially defense to offense. If Rui is running to the other side, Jokic will either need to run back or the Lakers will have an advantage. Depending on conditioning and such I'd personally also consider putting Wenyen in the game to provide a different look.

I am sure Denver will come up with some counters too. I think the fundamental formula of "guard Jokic without AD and use AD as an uber disruptive rim protector" will be remain our most effective gameplan, and we'll end up seeing similar counters as we saw from the Grizz and Warriors. I'm already imagining AG setting a hammer screen for Murray in the corner. The nice part is the Lakers guards have enough practice chasing over screens (not just Schroder who's the best at it), knowing AD is lurking in the paint should players backdoor cut and/or slip the screen.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, DB!

Lakers played a horrendous first half while Denver made every bucket... And we still lost by single digits.

I'm encouraged by some of the stuff the Lakers showed last night. If we clean up the boards and play better transition D we'll be in a good position.

LAKERS IN 6
Alpha

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB!

Painful start. Had to tip my hat to Jokic.. he's great.

Lakers flipped the script and gave hope for the next game.

Wish they could've made some adjustments earlier but hey...
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -at- NUGGETS - 5-16-23 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Theseus wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
2 blocks (uh, this is wrong)

Right? This doesn't make much sense and I'd have to watch again but it looked like he had 4 or 5 blocks?

iirc when I was watching the Sportsnet post game Worthy and Fish discussed this and pointed out how the home team scorers can impact stuff like that, as they too believed there were more blocks. So, it is possible that, much like a ref holds a whistle, Denver scorers elected to hold back on a block stat. You know, if AD had 5, and Jokic has 2, it just doesnt look right.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 8:23 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Corey78 wrote:
It’s always about different looks. Same thing we did with Steph…we threw Vando, Dennis and some Reaves. We also didn’t shy away from them trying to get AD on him.

Limiting Jokic will be a team effort with AD, Rui, Lebron and even Gabriel and Tristan just for different looks.

In addition to just really hot shooting, we just can’t let Murray do what he did last night. He is literally what makes them go from a good offensive team to a championship worthy offense.
Yeah, it's not about stopping Jokic. It's about finding ways to make the offense less efficient as it works through him. It's getting possessions down from 1.3 PPP to 1.0 or something. Small tweaks over the course of a game. Moving them from most efficient scoring option to least efficient. It doesn't even mean Rui is always on him, but having more size out there in general to rebound to save us a few more possessions over the course of a game.

And then, yes, making them work harder. We lost that battle in the first half last night. Wasn't even close, which is annoying. We made things way too easy.
Da Boyz @ TNT focused on how to deal with Jokic - a Superstar.

Since Jokic likes to bring up the ball, having one of our defenders pressure him to at least have him turn to bring up the ball hence taking more time off the clock to disrupt their timing.

As stated in a video analysis that was posted, disrupting the timing of the Nuggets shooters (like what they did to Klay and others) would make them work harder to get clean shots

Watching the Heat play consistently one way against the Celtics (who have more superstars but very inconsistent with their effort) should motivate this team to embrace the Black Mamba Attitude to have no mercy.

As a Nuggets player stated on the TNT broadcast and admitted, they were targeting DLo on every P&R to their advantage. Hope DLo got that message!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: