The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 186, 187, 188, 189  Next
 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 68692
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:15 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
C M B wrote:
Studio Salvages Terrible Film’s Box Office Numbers By Marketing It As Movie Liberals Don’t Want You To See


IMO this is a misstep. The Jewish community is influential and powerful. I see it as a racist comment. Don't poke the bear.

Quote:
Carter added that if the film wasn’t in the black by the end of the week, the studio would run ads telling viewers it was the only movie currently in theaters that wasn’t paid for by Jews.



Who wants to tell him?


I don't know Bret Carter's religious affiliation. If he's not Jewish the Jewish community will tell him.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 53247
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:16 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
C M B wrote:
Studio Salvages Terrible Film’s Box Office Numbers By Marketing It As Movie Liberals Don’t Want You To See


IMO this is a misstep. The Jewish community is influential and powerful. I see it as a racist comment. Don't poke the bear.

Quote:
Carter added that if the film wasn’t in the black by the end of the week, the studio would run ads telling viewers it was the only movie currently in theaters that wasn’t paid for by Jews.



Who wants to tell him?


I don't know Bret Carter's religious affiliation. If he's not Jewish the Jewish community will tell him.


I meant tell you about another "whoosh" moment.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 53247
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:05 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
I watched Sound of Freedom. It is a true story about a guy who rescued hundreds of children from sex slavery. He rescues at least 56 children in the film. I’m still trying to figure out why this film is being so politicized, I think rescuing child sex victims should be a universal cause.

If you have heard anything about this film from the media, I suggest you see it for yourself and make your own opinion. There is no conspiracy angle, no political angle, it’s just a true story about a man rescuing children.


It’s pretty thinly veiled QAnon bait. It’s being politicized because that was the whole point.


Hmm, thats interesting. Did you see the film? which part was Qanon?

It was finished over 5 years ago, and pretty closely based on the true story, they even have surveillance footage of the major bust where over 50 children were rescued.


I haven’t seen it and won’t be seeing it. Child trafficking is a main cog of QAnon conspiracy: that democrats torture kids and drink their blood. This is the publicly stated belief of the star of the film who happens to be one of the most prominent QAnon turds. Doesn’t take a lot of work to piece together what the intention is of a film with that subject matter starting that dumdum, especially now that the film is being championed by every MAGA chud with a following. I’m sure the film avoids being overtly political on the surface. Child trafficking is, of course, a real and terrible thing and might make an interesting film if it weren’t in the hands of such bad faith people with obvious and despicable agendas.


The film has nothing about blood drinking, nothing hinted or explicit about this. It is all based on the true story of Tim Ballard who rescued hundreds of children from sex slavery. It even has surveillance footage from the major bust where over 50 children were rescued. I really think people should watch the film before they make these types of assumptions.


It’s not an assumption. It’s the publicly stated belief of the movie’s lead. The one who is out selling the movie and using it as a vehicle to promote this stuff. Of course the movie isn’t depicting this overtly. It would be dismissed outright. That’s not how you recruit new people to your cause. Consider the source of the stuff you’re consuming.


You admit you haven’t seen the movie, yet you claim to know about it. You say the movies lead has these stated beliefs but he did not write the movie. The movie is tightly based on a true story. Do you think people who rescue children from sex slavery are Qanon whack jobs? I think the people rescuing these children are heroes. If you have a chance, watch the movie and form your own opinions. Since you haven’t seen the move your opinions have obviously been formed by someone else. There is no Qanon blood drinking conspiracy angle in the movie, if you watch it you will not be able to disagree and say that there is.

It’s a literal true story with surveillance footage of the bust. It’s a true story. What do you mean consider the source?


We don’t need to hijack the thread with this so this is the last I’ll say about it. This is a dumb little movie that is only getting attention by far right conservatives boosting its profile and QAnon dolts salivating over it. You asked why it was being made political and I explained why. The motives of the people that made the movie and are marketing the movie are clear. Obviously, those motives aren’t depicted explicitly in the movie. Cults don’t begin their pitch to newcomers with all the craziest stuff first. There’s a reason you don’t find out the real kooky Scientologist stuff until they’ve got their hooks deep into you. It’s entirely possible you and many others will have played their game by seeing this movie and not tumble down the rabbit hole they’ve intended. Cults don’t work by duping everyone. They work by duping just enough. When people tell you who they are: believe them.

Quote:
Actor Jim Caviezel, who used to be famous for starring in movies like “The Count of Monte Cristo” and “The Passion of the Christ,” joined an all-star lineup of far-right conspiracy theorists at a COVID-19 conspiracy “health and freedom” conference in Oklahoma on Friday night. And Caviezel spent at least part of his segment endorsing the false QAnon conspiracy theory regarding “the adrenochroming of children.”

This made-up theory states that rich people torture children so they can harvest their adrenaline, which the theory says has some unspecified rejuvenation properties. This nonsense, which is more or less just the plot of Pixar’s “Monsters, Inc.” has been at the bedrock of the QAnon #SaveTheChildren movement, which is more concerned with fake stories like this than with actually saving children who are the victims of human trafficking.

Caviezel joined quite the roster of right-wing conspiracy fans at the conference, which included names like Michael Flynn, Lin Wood, Sidney Powell and the My Pillow Guy, Mike Lindell, among many other far-right figures.

Caviezel was supposed to appear with a man named Tim Ballard, founder of the anti-trafficking organization Operation Underground Railroad. Ballard has been a sort of hero figure for QAnon adherents, and Caviezel played him in an obscure movie called “Sound of Freedom.” Caviezel said Ballard skipped the conference because “he’s down there saving children as we speak.” Though he didn’t elaborate on that at all.

At one point, the moderator asked Caviezel to explain this untrue conspiracy theory to attendees at the conference who might not know about it. Though he needn’t have bothered — when the host asked the crowd to raise their hands if they knew about “adrenochroming,” pretty much everyone in the crowd did so.

Here’s how Caviezel explained it.

“Essentially, you have adrenaline in your body,” Caviezel explained. “And when you are scared, you produce adrenaline. If you’re an athlete, you get in the fourth quarter, you have adrenaline that comes out of you. If a child knows he’s going to die, his body will secrete this adrenaline. And they have a lot of terms that they use that he [Ballard] takes me through, but it’s the worst horror I’ve ever seen. The screaming alone, even if I never, ever, ever saw it, it’s beyond — and these people that do it, umm, there will be no mercy for them.”


'Sound of Freedom' Funder Fabian Marta Arrested For Child Kidnapping
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 68692
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:24 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
C M B wrote:
Studio Salvages Terrible Film’s Box Office Numbers By Marketing It As Movie Liberals Don’t Want You To See


IMO this is a misstep. The Jewish community is influential and powerful. I see it as a racist comment. Don't poke the bear.

Quote:
Carter added that if the film wasn’t in the black by the end of the week, the studio would run ads telling viewers it was the only movie currently in theaters that wasn’t paid for by Jews.



Who wants to tell him?


I don't know Bret Carter's religious affiliation. If he's not Jewish the Jewish community will tell him.


I meant tell you about another "whoosh" moment.


Damn! Another one. Enlighten me.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 53247
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
C M B wrote:
Studio Salvages Terrible Film’s Box Office Numbers By Marketing It As Movie Liberals Don’t Want You To See


IMO this is a misstep. The Jewish community is influential and powerful. I see it as a racist comment. Don't poke the bear.

Quote:
Carter added that if the film wasn’t in the black by the end of the week, the studio would run ads telling viewers it was the only movie currently in theaters that wasn’t paid for by Jews.



Who wants to tell him?


I don't know Bret Carter's religious affiliation. If he's not Jewish the Jewish community will tell him.


I meant tell you about another "whoosh" moment.


Damn! Another one. Enlighten me.


It's The Onion website . . . it's satire.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 55013

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:51 am    Post subject:

“Area Man Somehow Has Never Heard of The Onion.”
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 68692
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:43 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
C M B wrote:
Studio Salvages Terrible Film’s Box Office Numbers By Marketing It As Movie Liberals Don’t Want You To See


IMO this is a misstep. The Jewish community is influential and powerful. I see it as a racist comment. Don't poke the bear.

Quote:
Carter added that if the film wasn’t in the black by the end of the week, the studio would run ads telling viewers it was the only movie currently in theaters that wasn’t paid for by Jews.



Who wants to tell him?


I don't know Bret Carter's religious affiliation. If he's not Jewish the Jewish community will tell him.


I meant tell you about another "whoosh" moment.


Damn! Another one. Enlighten me.


It's The Onion website . . . it's satire.


Thanks. I didn't notice it came from the Onion. When I first joined LG I didn't know about the Onion. I got punked.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 29966
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:38 pm    Post subject:

I've never been a huge Spiderman fan. Despite seeing most of the movies going back to the Tobey Macguire days.

Just watched Spider-Man: Across the Spider Verse. I thought the first animated Spider-Man movie from the series was good. Not earth shattering. But good. Visually amazing. With an okay story.

This second one! The one I just streamed. Spider-Man: Across the Spider Verse. It's fantastic. Completely deserving of the 8.9/10 it has on IMDB. Not only is it visually stunning. The story is top tier. The main characters have depth in a way you don't see in most superhero movies.

I don't think I've liked a PG movie more since I was a young child.
I'd recommend it to all ages. Definitely the best movie out of Marvel since Avengers Endgame. Arguably it's better. Not as bloated. Not so fan-service-y.

It's a must watch film IMO. Even if you aren't in to animated films.
_________________
"Every hurt is a lesson, and every lesson makes you better”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Posts: 22145

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:52 am    Post subject:

Speaking of animated films, how the heck did Ninja Turtles score a 96% on Rotten Tomatoes?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 68692
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject:

I watched Wes Craven's Shocker a 1989 American supernatural slasher film after reading a post by
ContagiousInspiration. It's a B movie that on a 1 to 10 scale I'd give a 5. However, I couldn't stop watching. Curse you CI. 😡 🤬
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2002
Posts: 3255
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Martin Scorsese breaks down his most iconic films for GQ:



Really cool insights into some of his films.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Posts: 6343

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Just watched Haunted in Venice or whatever it’s called. As you could expect, absolute trash.

Also saw There Will Be Blood for the first time..that was awesome.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 29966
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:28 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
Just watched Haunted in Venice or whatever it’s called. As you could expect, absolute trash.

Also saw There Will Be Blood for the first time..that was awesome.


I fell asleep in the theater.

Unlike the first 2 movies. It didn't follow the books. It is VERY loosely based on the book Halloween Party. But the city is different, and all the characters are different despite sharing names with the book's characters. Even the main character, Hercule is much different in the book.

It's a shame, because the setting and crew were good for the movie. And I normally like a mixture of mystery and horror. But the movie was just ... bad.
_________________
"Every hurt is a lesson, and every lesson makes you better”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 68692
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:54 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
Just watched Haunted in Venice or whatever it’s called. As you could expect, absolute trash.

Also saw There Will Be Blood for the first time..that was awesome.



A Haunting in Venice I'll give it a peek.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Posts: 18032

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Reptile on Netflix is really good
_________________
Kobe.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Clw9scopegx/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 90416
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:58 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
C M B wrote:
Studio Salvages Terrible Film’s Box Office Numbers By Marketing It As Movie Liberals Don’t Want You To See


IMO this is a misstep. The Jewish community is influential and powerful. I see it as a racist comment. Don't poke the bear.

Quote:
Carter added that if the film wasn’t in the black by the end of the week, the studio would run ads telling viewers it was the only movie currently in theaters that wasn’t paid for by Jews.



Who wants to tell him?


I don't know Bret Carter's religious affiliation. If he's not Jewish the Jewish community will tell him.


I meant tell you about another "whoosh" moment.


Damn! Another one. Enlighten me.


It's The Onion website . . . it's satire.


Thanks. I didn't notice it came from the Onion. When I first joined LG I didn't know about the Onion. I got punked.


To be fair to you, MAGA has gotten to the point where the news is often more onion than the onion.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
focus
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 May 2012
Posts: 2583

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:16 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
C M B wrote:
Studio Salvages Terrible Film’s Box Office Numbers By Marketing It As Movie Liberals Don’t Want You To See


IMO this is a misstep. The Jewish community is influential and powerful. I see it as a racist comment. Don't poke the bear.

Quote:
Carter added that if the film wasn’t in the black by the end of the week, the studio would run ads telling viewers it was the only movie currently in theaters that wasn’t paid for by Jews.



Who wants to tell him?


I don't know Bret Carter's religious affiliation. If he's not Jewish the Jewish community will tell him.


I meant tell you about another "whoosh" moment.


Damn! Another one. Enlighten me.


It's The Onion website . . . it's satire.


Thanks. I didn't notice it came from the Onion. When I first joined LG I didn't know about the Onion. I got punked.


To be fair to you, MAGA has gotten to the point where the news is often more onion than the onion.
And also, not that the point isn't valid, but this is pretty lame as satire. Maybe AI wrote this one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Posts: 6343

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Reptile on Netflix is really good


Thanks for this..was debating skipping after seeing the reviews but I thought it was a very good movie.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Posts: 18032

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Reptile on Netflix is really good


Thanks for this..was debating skipping after seeing the reviews but I thought it was a very good movie.

Nice. it surprised me too.
_________________
Kobe.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Clw9scopegx/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 68692
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:05 am    Post subject:

Equalizer 3 surpassed $100 million at the box office. IMO Equalizer 3 is not as good as 1 & 2.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.


Last edited by jodeke on Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Posts: 6343

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:24 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Equalizer 3 surpassed 100 million at the box office. IMO Equalizer 3 is not as good as 1 & 2.


Looking forward to this, really enjoyed the first 2. Will go in with low expectations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 29966
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Just watched Equalizer 3. It's was fantastic.

Dakota Fanning is in it. The whole time I was thinking about Man on Fire.

I know the movies aren't related. But in my head cannon they are.
_________________
"Every hurt is a lesson, and every lesson makes you better”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 68692
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Just watched Equalizer 3. It's was fantastic.

Dakota Fanning is in it. The whole time I was thinking about Man on Fire.

I know the movies aren't related. But in my head cannon they are.


She's all grown up.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Posts: 6343

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Went and saw The Creator today. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I’m not a big sci-fi guy. The 7.2/10 on IMDb is a pretty accurate rating IMO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 68692
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Equalizer 3 surpassed 100 million at the box office. IMO Equalizer 3 is not as good as 1 & 2.


Looking forward to this, really enjoyed the first 2. Will go in with low expectations.


Don't do that. E1-10, E2-9.9, E3-9.8.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 186, 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 187 of 189
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB