lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:55 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
https://www.today.com/news/sports/sean-tuohy-michael-oher-blind-side-allegations-rcna99947

Quote:
Later on Aug. 15, Marty Singer, the attorney for Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy, issued a statement on Oher’s filing.

"Unbeknownst to the public, Mr. Oher has actually attempted to run this play several times before — but it seems that numerous other lawyers stopped representing him once they saw the evidence and learned the truth," the statement reads, in part. "Sadly, Mr. Oher has finally found a willing enabler and filed this ludicrous lawsuit as a cynical attempt to drum up attention in the middle of his latest book tour."

Yep, here's the entire statement made by Singer, on behalf of the Tuohys.

https://dam.tmz.com/document/d9/o/2023/08/15/d90b318b316e4e6db6e29e577cf4f8e4.pdf

Can't wait til they investigate this and the truth comes out. So far the family seems to winning this argument. However for Michael Oher to go to this extreme there has to be something else we are not hearing about. I'm sure they'll go through all the finances and determine who got how much from the movies.

The Tuohys are loaded. If it's true that they only made a relative pittance from the movie (like $14K each at most), it seems extremely unlikely that they would be so sniveling as to cut Oher's share off over such an extremely small amount of money. It also seems strange that Oher wouldn't have had it explained to him that it was a conservatorship and not an adoption, given that he was already 18 (a legal adult) and given what was necessary to get him into Ole Miss. On the one hand, he wants people to believe he wasn't dumb, yet on the other, he is asking us to believe that he had no idea for almost 20 years that this wasn't an adoption. I'll say this, too, knowing how loaded the Tuohys are, Oher is certainly risking any chance that he could have significant assets left to him by the parents when they die.

I agree with you that there are details that have yet to be revealed, for sure. Much of this doesn't seem to make sense.

I have my doubts the rich white family were gonna give him a big chunk of the inheritance money.
The skeptic in me says this was a business arrangement and years down the line it unraveled after his NFL career was over.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
In a Hollywood where Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc, have “never turned a profit,” call me skeptical that the studios disbursed $330m in royalties for The Blind Side.

My bad. I meant the movie made 330m so there has to be some royalties fees and Oher wants his share.

Outside of the top stars/directors writers etc. on a film, the royalties paid out to the rest are a lot less than you'd think. Very few ever get "back end" money on a film and that would always be spelled out contractually going in. It would be highly unusual for people who are simply the subjects of a movie to get a back end deal unless it was a wholly autobiographical situation where they wrote the script and shopped it. That's why Tuohy's claim that the original writer split his rather paltry fee with them tracks.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
Its messed up if true. However if they never took him in then he wouldn't be where he is now. Its not like the family stole money from him.

It's still really messed up if they told him they were adopting him and just said to sign some papers relating to that, and it turns out that it was a conservatorship instead, and never mentioned that to him. And if the parents and only their 2 biological children are profiting off of him and if he has received nothing from that, that's messed up. I get it that they did a nice thing in taking him in, but it's not the story that was depicted in the movie. They didn't just take him literally off the street. It's just not how it happened.

I was reading another article where the son of the family said they did not make all the money that they were accused of. I am sure the truth will come out.

This from TMZ, comments from Sean Tuohy, the father. He certainly pushes back hard on the allegations...

https://www.tmz.com/2023/08/14/sean-tuohy-calls-michael-oher-claims-insulting-says-family-made-no-money-off-blind-side/

That article says he made $200 million selling his fast food franchises. I'm guessing he's telling the truth in that he didn't make money from the movie. We'll see what happens, I guess.

As someone who does deals like this for a living, a life story rights deal is not very lucrative. I think he has delusions that the Tuohy's made massive amounts of the money off the movie. That's simply not the case.

I think Oher has gotten bad counsel over the years, particularly after he left the Tuohy orbit.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject:

To the extent that the Tuohys had negotiated for a backend (which is something you'd ask for, but rarely, if ever, get), it would be a pittance relative to the overall receipts generated from the exploitation of the movie. As a point of informed conjecture, if they received anything (which again is HIGHLY unlikely), it would be based on a "net" definition, which means everyone else would get their cut before you could achieve "net profits" (e.g., the theaters, distributors, so-called P&A spend, guild residuals, copyright royalties, taxes, other talent "participations").

Add to this the fact that because Oher was over 18, he would have his own deal for his own life rights so his "entitlement" to anything that was payable to the Tuohy's doesn't hold water.

All that to say, Oher probably has people in his ear telling him that he's a chump that this (adopted) family depicted him as a dumb football player and then made a fortune off of doing so. He reportedly shopped his case around and likely found someone who does not understand the film industry and is making him looking even dumber for trying to vindicate himself by presenting a specious argument. Sometimes being adversarial is not the way to achieve the result you want, but when you mix ego in with some bad advice, you end up with egg on your face.

It's all very sad.

Last edited by Heartburn on Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Not only that but his max earning potential is over. With the football career over his days of earning millions went with it too. Unless he has a business plan of investing his NFL money into other successful businesses, he can't maintain whatever lifestyle he was used to. I guess a lawyer got into his head that the family was stealing money from him thats why he's gone public.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:01 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
In a Hollywood where Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc, have “never turned a profit,” call me skeptical that the studios disbursed $330m in royalties for The Blind Side.

Star Wars and Harry Potter weren’t profitable?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

This was already addressed with comments earlier regarding Hollywood Accounting...

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/09/how-hollywood-accounting-can-make-a-450-million-movie-unprofitable/245134/
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:09 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

This was already addressed with comments earlier regarding Hollywood Accounting...

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/09/how-hollywood-accounting-can-make-a-450-million-movie-unprofitable/245134/

Ask Clint Eastwood. He famously sued the makers of Rawhide after he signed a deal giving him a percentage of the net. Their lawyers proved in court that the number one series in television actually made no money.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:20 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Ask Clint Eastwood. He famously sued the makers of Rawhide after he signed a deal giving him a percentage of the net. Their lawyers proved in court that the number one series in television actually made no money.

So why are Hollywood directors, producers, and actors/actresses all so rich?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:23 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

So why are Hollywood directors, producers, and actors/actresses all so rich?

Their money comes out of the gross.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject:

Now Michael Lewis is all-in on the Touhy's side saying he saw this dynamic up-close and personal. Freaking ungrateful Oher - he is really getting exposed here.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:57 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Now Michael Lewis is all-in on the Touhy's side saying he saw this dynamic up-close and personal. Freaking ungrateful Oher - he is really getting exposed here.

From what I glean from this article I don't think Lewis should be all in on the Touhy's side.

This is a complicated case. Oher may have been deceived but if was it for monetary purposes is subjective? Read the entire article and draw your own conclusions.

Author Michael Lewis says only Hollywood cashed in on ‘Blind Side’ success
By Ben Strauss and Molly Hensley-Clancy
August 16, 2023 at 4:31 p.m. EDT

LINK

Excerpts;

Quote:
“What I feel really sad about is I watched the whole thing up close,” Lewis said. “They showered him with resources and love. That he’s suspicious of them is breathtaking. The state of mind one has to be in to do that — I feel sad for him.”

Quote:
The nature of the conservatorship that Oher was placed under is not clear and somewhat unusual. Tennessee law reserves conservatorships for people with mental or physical disabilities who lack the capacity to make decisions for themselves, said Barbara Moss, an attorney in the state who is experienced in conservatorships.

“You have to have a doctor say you have a mental or physical disability in whole or in part,” Moss said. From an outside legal perspective, she said, the arrangement with Oher and the Tuohys was “bizarre.” “I’ve never seen something like that happen,” she said. “From what I know of Michael Oher … he wouldn’t have qualified.”

Lewis said he believed the Tuohy family chose a conservatorship for Oher because the process was quicker than traditional adoption. And they were concerned about the NCAA investigating Oher’s choice to attend the University of Mississippi, where the Tuohys were boosters.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject:

I always felt the film reeked of the white savior narrative. And seeing the main subject being portrayed says that wasn't the real story being told, turns out it was right.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I always felt the film reeked of the white savior narrative. And seeing the main subject being portrayed says that wasn't the real story being told, turns out it was right.

It was also really weird to me how they sexualized the mom (Sandra Bullock’s character) in certain scenes if that’s not something that happened in real life.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Literally a can of worms has been opened. I look for more disclosures.

Senator Tommy Tuberville Is Still Making Money From 'The Blind Side'
BY NICK MORDOWANEC ON 8/16/23 AT 12:01 PM EDT

LINK
Quote:

S. Senator Tommy Tuberville made $1,750 in 2022 as part of annual residuals received from his appearance in the 2009 football film The Blind Side, according to financial disclosures.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:41 pm    Post subject:

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-blind-side-lawsuit-michael-oher-tuohy-family-request-end-conservatorship-123105805.html#:~:text=The%20Tuohy%20family%20intends%20to,the%20Associated%20Press%20on%20Wednesday.

'The Blind Side' lawsuit: Tuohy family say they will request end of Michael Oher conservatorship
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:51 am    Post subject:

Probably did that so nothing else gets exposed. Michael Lewis and Sean Tuohy both went to Newman the same elite prep school in NOLA.

Also the same school that the Manning brothers all attended. Peyton did a spoof on this which is more accurate than the actual movie. Makes me wonder about a few things..
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:03 pm    Post subject:

What I'm reading in this thread here is an interesting case study in people's willingness to believe the most cynical version of events based on rumor and/or their own life experiences -- not actual facts, which people will deny if they're inconvenient to their POV. Occam is sharpening his razor.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
What I'm reading in this thread here is an interesting case study in people's willingness to believe the most cynical version of events based on rumor and/or their own life experiences -- not actual facts, which people will deny if they're inconvenient to their POV. Occam is sharpening his razor.

The thread posts withstanding, did you read the article? If you did, did you form an opinion?

Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:43 am    Post subject:

I did read the article. My opinion of what's transpired didn't change. I happen to have some personal knowledge of this case. More than I can share.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:40 am    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
I did read the article. My opinion of what's transpired didn't change. I happen to have some personal knowledge of this case. More than I can share.

OK. Let's see how this shakes out.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:22 pm    Post subject:

As I said in a prior post. Oher may have been deceived but if was it for monetary purposes is subjective.

The Blind Side Producers Reveal How Much Money the Tuohys Really Made From Michael Oher Story
By LINDSAY WEINBERG AUG 24, 2023 7:46 PMTAGS

Andrew Kosove-and Broderick-Johnson Blind Side producers

LINK

C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:09 am    Post subject:

Michael Oher traded to different white family

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:58 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Michael Oher traded to different white family

DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Court doc: Tuohys paid Michael Oher $138K in 'Blind Side' profits

The couple accused by retired NFL star Michael Oher of cheating him out of proceeds from the blockbuster movie "The Blind Side" actually paid Oher more than $138,000 in profits made from the movie, according to a sworn document their lawyers filed in a Tennessee court on Wednesday.

The financial accounting, which had been ordered by a Shelby County probate court judge, said that Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy paid $138,311.01 to Oher in 10 separate installments between June 2007 and April 2023. The payments represent Oher's share of the profits made from the movie and the book that preceded it, according to a statement accompanying the accounting document filed by the Tuohys' lawyers.

"By agreement between the family members including Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy, their children SJ and Collins as well as Michael Oher, the book and movie proceeds were to be split five ways," the statement said.

Far from cheating Oher, the Tuohys' lawyers said in the statement, the couple "spent tens of thousands of dollars of their own money to support Mr. Oher during his high school and college years."

The financial document included copies of tax forms showing that the Tuohys were paid more than $432,000 by Twentieth Century Fox, Alcon Film Fund and Left Tackle Pictures for the movie between 2007 and 2021. The document also included a ledger that purportedly lists payments the Tuohys made to Oher, as well as copies of checks and bank statements showing deposits the couple made to a bank account in the name of one of Oher's children.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38855339/tuohys-say-michael-oher-paid-blind-side-profits
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: