LAKERS -at- CLIPPERS - 4/4 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Mr. EiGhTy-OnE wrote:
karlmalonefan wrote:
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE wrote:
encina1 wrote:

The play that epitomized the entire game for me was in the fourth quarter, Lakers down by two. Shot clock going down, the ball is passed to Odom. He is wide open for a three....

for me it was lamars lob to the crowd.......i mean kobe, OUT OF A TIMEOUT.
um, I believe that was in the Denver game, and again, that's not the only reason we lost that one either...

yeah, you are right. these losses keep running together.
Not to mention the fact that they were very similar games lost in very similar fashion...
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE wrote:

phil- i cant believe he started the 2nd qtr with no kobe or lamar and waited until the clippers had a 17 point lead that we never recovered from. also, why the hell did he sub Bynum in for Lamar with 447 to go in the 4th? and taking out Mo for Luke after Mo just hit a big 3 to make it a 1 point game. playoffs are around the corner, he should have his rotations set already. i also question smush not being out there for stretches (he wasnt that bad tonight, except for the turnover at the half)

Some of his subs and lineups were definitely head scratchers... but saying "he should have his rotations set already". Come on. He'd love to have his rotations settled. He did last year when we were healthy. But his rotations have consisted of whoever is available for most of the year. That's still the case with Kwame and Mo struggling with their injuries...

Kwame is the only starter we are missing. Im sick of the injury excuse, you play with what you have. Every team has had to deal with injuries, maybe we have had to deal with more than our fair share, but no excuses. Phil should only have to fine tweak his rotations at this stage because of the injuries but it doesnt seem like he has any idea of what sub pattern he would like to run (even if everyone was healthy) its a no brainer, you dont take out an inspired LO for Andrew. The main rotation i was referring to was at PG. All of them have been healthy all year and yet he still doesnt have a rotation. the "head scratchers" are just easier to point out.

That LO for Andrew isn't what I'd call a "rotation". Rotation is bringing Bynum off the bench late in the first for Kwame. Bringing Mo in for Luke or Kobe. Or moving LO down to SF for a stint every game with Turiaf in. Unfortunately, all of that kind of stuff is restricted precisely because of injuries. Andrew starts, Turiaf can't be used at PF, LO can't be moved to SF, etc. You can't gripe about "rotations" and play off injuries as an "excuse". It's fundamental to rotations.

I'm not surprised at all at the PG situation. You've got back-up guards running the point. You are going to have inconsistent play. He was definitely trying to dial up a winning combination...but this isn't like most teams where you've got a clear-cut 1. Wish it was, but we went into this season with a back-up PG group. If Smush isn't getting it done, you try Farmar, if he's not getting it done, you try Shammond. Unfortunately that is a frequent event because of the lack of true starter talent.

you're right i wouldnt call that a rotation either, thats why i labeled it like you did as a "head scratcher" or tinkering. Im just shocked that Phil would pull Lamar when he was being very aggressive for once (its amazing, he's been more aggressive since coming back from injury) you are also right that rotations and injuries go hand and hand, all i was trying to say was that im sick of the excuse that we losing because we are short handed. 2 differnet arguments. it just seems like Phil doesnt know hwat he is doing at times. i know, who am i to question a 9 time champ? bla, bla, bla. Even role players are professionals, they need to act like it when they are called upon.

as far as the PG situation.... I also agree with you that you go with who is hot, but its such a short leash, how does he expect any PG to develop a rhythm? sasha,shammond, jordan might play pretty well one game and not play again for 4 games. you at least need 1 starter and 1 clear backup. even more of a reason to bring in some help, yet then they are too afraid that any talent wont mesh with the precious triangle.

dont mind me DB, im just venting because im sick of losing.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject:

I feel you. There was a point in the first half where I wondered why I was even bothering taking notes with the crap effort they were playing with. That lineup early in the second quarter was total suckville.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Which reminds me...note to all...I won't be able to do Friday's game. Taking the son to the Angels game and I won't get done watching Lakers till Late.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject:

karlmalonefan wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
With the Kobe playing against 5 Clippers, he's not getting much space to operate to do his magic, why isn't he getting the fouls that DWade gets. (Of course, with the other Lakers playing so bad - the team is not giving the refs any reasons to give Kobe the benefit of the doubt). What is the deal with Cook agueing with the coaches?
um, why is Kobe forcing it one on five and expecting the refs to bail him out? Any smart player would know he has four other teammates on the floor and they are all wide open. Any smart player would see that as an advantage and pass the ball to them and include them in the game. Kobe wasn't a smart player last night. That's as close as I've seen Phil get to criticizing Kobe's play since he's been back, but something needs to be said. it's way overdue. LO was 8-11. Kobe was 13-34! LO had almost as many points as Kobe ON 23 FEWER SHOTS!!!!!
Kobe was probably forcing his shots because Smush wasn't doing anything and Bynum couldn't do anything against Kaman. Kobe took WAY TOO many shots because 1) He was forcing shots; 2) He was stuck with the ball deep into the clock and: 3) Other players were just watching him.

It was obvious that Phil's "rotations" were subject to availability sinc MO didn't play much (still hurt), Cookie didn't play much (?!?!), Kwame didn't play (injuried), Vlad (injury and stupidity), etc. Phil (hopefully) was placing players out there hoping to get a needed spark and didn't find one until the middle of the game.

Re: LO - props for playing injuried which has forced him to drive more often, a good thing.

Re: Luke - even his "average" games are good for the Lakers because he always provide the ability to win games with his smarts

Re: Smush - how short a hook should Phil place on him? His indecision and Phil's decision to not use him at the end of games is very revealing.

Re: Farmar - Having Jordan get extra PT w/the D-Fenders is a sign that Phil would like to use him more often.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject:

We looked like an old retread tire, that comes apart, on the freeway...

The cobwebs have cleared, in my own mind... I'm sorry, Andrew, you need more experience, maybe, in "D" League. I know, it's hard to pass up the money, and the chance at fame... It's not Andrew's fault. It's like one of the sicknesses, of society, and the media... Everyone conspires, to lure some of these high school players, because they might be another Kevin Garnett, or LeBron James, or Kobe Bryant. I can now see, that Andrew is not going to get it, by just putting him into an NBA Game, at 19 years of age.

Some players (that shall remain unnamed) will never really be team players, although, they may try and make up, with their intensity, and athleticism. I can see players that look like they never learned the basic concept... There were poor decisions, that shouldn't have happened, if everyone knew their role. I saw players that didn't realize that it was time to take their shot... HELLO!!.... Wake up people!!... This is why coaches and players work so hard, on and off the court... To work someone OPEN!!... If we don't take advantage, when we work someone open, we don't deserve to win!!

There was, practically, no defense, for the Lakers... We stood like statues, instead of filling the lanes, or collapsing on the ballhandler... Not enough recognition, or anticipation. We forgot all about the outlet guy.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject:

We should give more PT that give 150% effort during the Clippers game which starts with Ronny!

Even Sasha, with his one foul per minute play, left everything on the floor since some of his fouls (i.e. the so-called "tripping" foul) were questionable.

How should Phil treat Cookie since we need his outside shot, but if it is not falling - he is useless and a serious liability since he can't do anything else.

Re: Bynum - what is his injury situation? Stu stated that he is playing on bad wheels (ankles) that prevents him from moving like he did at the beginning of the season?

Re: Vald - when is he due to be able to play?

Re: Luke - what is the situation with his ankles?

Re: Evans - he's wearsing special "compression" pads so that he can play, any news on how injuried he is? I know that if this was in the middle of the season, he would not be playing.

Re: Kwame - what is the latest word on his injury situation?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: