🏈NFL 2023 DISCUSSION THREAD🏈
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 333, 334, 335
 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Oct 2003
Posts: 8347
Location: Santa Monica

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:39 pm    Post subject:

The Chargers better draft a WR at No. 5 now that they have gotten rid of both Mike Williams and Keenan Allen.
_________________
Lakers 49ers Chargers Dodgers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 31919
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:59 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
The Chargers better draft a WR at No. 5 now that they have gotten rid of both Mike Williams and Keenan Allen.


They HAVE to now. Forget the trade down I was thinking.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 31919
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:00 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Bears trade the 110th pick to the Chargers for Keenan Allen.


The Bears had a lot of space still and to bring in a receiver of this caliber for a 4th is great for them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Moses
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 8270
Location: London

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:17 am    Post subject:

Losing Keenan hurts man

Can only assumed they wanted the cap space and couldn’t agree on an extension with him, because getting only a 4th back isn’t exactly an offer they couldn’t refuse. Saw some people reporting on twitter that he refused to restructure.

Does probably mean they have 1 less rival in Chicago for one of the top WRs in the draft now, because surely they can’t believe that Palmer + Quentin Johnston is the answer.
_________________
Lakers, Chargers, Dodgers, Arsenal FC.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 31919
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:51 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Losing Keenan hurts man

Can only assumed they wanted the cap space and couldn’t agree on an extension with him, because getting only a 4th back isn’t exactly an offer they couldn’t refuse. Saw some people reporting on twitter that he refused to restructure.

Does probably mean they have 1 less rival in Chicago for one of the top WRs in the draft now, because surely they can’t believe that Palmer + Quentin Johnston is the answer.


They pretty much have to draft Nabers or Odunze at 5 now. I know this draft is deep with WR, but you can't assume that a #1 type will be there at 37. They need a true #1 now. They arguably needed a WR before letting Keenan go. Now, getting Herbert a long-term #1 guy is downright essential.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Moses
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 8270
Location: London

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Now sounds like Bosa and Mack both agreed to take pay cuts to help the tea, out, but Keenan refused, so they traded him.

It is what it is, Keenan is coming off of a great year but the Chargers are at least trading him while he has some value I suppose. Just interested to see how they go about replacing him now.

Also, DAMN Aaron Donald is retiring, the game will miss him, legit one of the best players I’ve ever watched.
_________________
Lakers, Chargers, Dodgers, Arsenal FC.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise


Last edited by Moses on Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Oct 2003
Posts: 8347
Location: Santa Monica

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Assuming the Bears draft a QB at No. 1, they could be next season's Houston Texans.

Allen and D.J. Moore are two very good WRs.
D'Andre Swift is a solid RB.
They have some studs on defense.
_________________
Lakers 49ers Chargers Dodgers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 31919
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:41 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Assuming the Bears draft a QB at No. 1, they could be next season's Houston Texans.

Allen and D.J. Moore are two very good WRs.
D'Andre Swift is a solid RB.
They have some studs on defense.


If Williams plays like Stroud did, they will be a force, there's no question about it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 31919
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Minnesota trading with Houston to get back up to the #23 overall pick (they already own #11 overall) is a clear indication that they are going to try to move up for a QB somehow, someway. Perhaps the Chargers are still a possible trade partner at 5, although I'd argue they have a dire need for a top WR now. Would Arizona pass on taking Harrison Jr. for a haul to move down from 4? If the Pats aren't sold on Maye at 3 (I firmly believe the Commanders will pick Daniels at 2), could they move out of 3 for a haul from Minnesota? Perhaps the Giants at 6 make sense.

It's looking almost certain that McCarthy isn't getting out of the top 6, either because the Giants would take him at 6, or because someone will trade up to pick him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Moses
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 8270
Location: London

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:43 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Assuming the Bears draft a QB at No. 1, they could be next season's Houston Texans.

Allen and D.J. Moore are two very good WRs.
D'Andre Swift is a solid RB.
They have some studs on defense.


Exciting time for the Bears, they could take Caleb and then maybe even Bowers or another WR with their other first rounder.

Feel a bit sorry for Justin Fields, I think he is a starter calibre QB on the right team with the right system, I hope he finds it.
_________________
Lakers, Chargers, Dodgers, Arsenal FC.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 31919
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Assuming the Bears draft a QB at No. 1, they could be next season's Houston Texans.

Allen and D.J. Moore are two very good WRs.
D'Andre Swift is a solid RB.
They have some studs on defense.


Exciting time for the Bears, they could take Caleb and then maybe even Bowers or another WR with their other first rounder.

Feel a bit sorry for Justin Fields, I think he is a starter calibre QB on the right team with the right system, I hope he finds it.


He's just so limited as a passer, and he's going into year 4, which means he starts to get expensive next year. Caleb is an infinitely better prospect in terms of pure throwing ability, and he'll be dirt cheap for the next 4 years, so it's a relatively easy decision. If Fields were on the level of, say, Tua or something, not quite elite but pretty good, then it would be justified to keep him.

There's almost no chance that Nabers or Odunze will be there for the Bears at 9, which, to me, made them pull the trigger on trading for Keenan Allen. But I do think there's a very good chance that Bowers will be there, and he would be very interesting in 12 personnel looks (two receivers, two tight ends) where the Bears could feature Moore, Allen, Kmet, and Bowers.

The options for the Bears at 9, as I see them, in no particular order:

--Draft Bowers

--Draft the top available pass rusher (likely Verse, since Turner is being heavily-connected to Atlanta at 8)

--Trade down and get more draft capital, since the Bears are only scheduled to make 2 more picks after #1 and #9.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Moses
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 8270
Location: London

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:40 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Minnesota trading with Houston to get back up to the #23 overall pick (they already own #11 overall) is a clear indication that they are going to try to move up for a QB somehow, someway. Perhaps the Chargers are still a possible trade partner at 5, although I'd argue they have a dire need for a top WR now. Would Arizona pass on taking Harrison Jr. for a haul to move down from 4? If the Pats aren't sold on Maye at 3 (I firmly believe the Commanders will pick Daniels at 2), could they move out of 3 for a haul from Minnesota? Perhaps the Giants at 6 make sense.

It's looking almost certain that McCarthy isn't getting out of the top 6, either because the Giants would take him at 6, or because someone will trade up to pick him.


I see this as win-win for the Chargers. Either MHJ falls to 5, or they become a trade down spot and get 11/23 in return. That’s only because I see the first 3 locked in as QB picks and don’t really buy the stories of Drake Maye sliding in the draft.
_________________
Lakers, Chargers, Dodgers, Arsenal FC.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 47581

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:27 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Minnesota trading with Houston to get back up to the #23 overall pick (they already own #11 overall) is a clear indication that they are going to try to move up for a QB somehow, someway. Perhaps the Chargers are still a possible trade partner at 5, although I'd argue they have a dire need for a top WR now. Would Arizona pass on taking Harrison Jr. for a haul to move down from 4? If the Pats aren't sold on Maye at 3 (I firmly believe the Commanders will pick Daniels at 2), could they move out of 3 for a haul from Minnesota? Perhaps the Giants at 6 make sense.

It's looking almost certain that McCarthy isn't getting out of the top 6, either because the Giants would take him at 6, or because someone will trade up to pick him.


I see this as win-win for the Chargers. Either MHJ falls to 5, or they become a trade down spot and get 11/23 in return. That’s only because I see the first 3 locked in as QB picks and don’t really buy the stories of Drake Maye sliding in the draft.


That would be fantastic if somehow the Chargers could get Marvin Harrison Jr. at 5. And I think it is possible he could still be available there, especially if Arizona trades out of the 4th pick.
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 03 Feb 2004
Posts: 24763

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:42 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1769131145688461483
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
strong9
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Posts: 3268
Location: so many places

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1769131145688461483


Unfortunately for a team with the 1st pick the Bears were in a lose lose situation. Fields isn’t the guy and his extension made it time to trade him but the QBs in the draft are middling despite the Caleb Williams hype. Two things you can count on in professional sports - continued failure of the Clippers in the playoffs and the Bears inability to EVER have a good QB.

They would have been better off trying to get Cousins.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 31919
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Wow, the Steelers got Fields for just a 6th round pick next year that could convert into a 4th rounder based on playing time. The league really didn't think much of him at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 47581

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:07 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Wow, the Steelers got Fields for just a 6th round pick next year that could convert into a 4th rounder based on playing time. The league really didn't think much of him at all.


Amazing, they were patient and it paid off with Wilson and Field on the cheap. I maintain Fields is underrated and certainly both are an upgrade from Pickett/Rudolph.
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 38789

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Bears were always going to draft Caleb Williams. You don't waste a number #1 pick on somebody else. If he doesn't work out guess what? They are back where they started.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 31919
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:30 pm    Post subject:

The rumors were true: the Chiefs have traded L'Jarius Sneed to the Titans for a 2025 3rd Round pick and a 7th Round pick swap in next month's draft. They were allegedly trying to get a 2nd rounder this year for him, and a pick the following year is not worth as much as a pick in the same year, so they accepted quite a bit less than their apparent asking price. This tells me that they were extremely motivated to shed that $19MM from their cap. Now they have a little under $29MM in available cap space. A bit of that will go to paying their draft class, but you have to wonder what they might be up to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 144464
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:13 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Bears were always going to draft Caleb Williams. You don't waste a number #1 pick on somebody else. If he doesn't work out guess what? They are back where they started.


Actually they are already back to where they started
_________________
RIP mom. 11-21-1933 to 6-14-2023.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 31919
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:31 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Bears were always going to draft Caleb Williams. You don't waste a number #1 pick on somebody else. If he doesn't work out guess what? They are back where they started.


Actually they are already back to where they started


Not at all. If Williams hits...it's all there. The Bears have actually built up a very good roster, on both sides of the ball. If Fields had been a hit, then he would have been the one to lead them into this next chapter. But he wasn't. So now, they will get a better prospect at the position, and in so doing, they reset the QB money so they should be able to keep adding talent while Williams is on his rookie deal. And sure, maybe Williams will be a flop. There's obviously no guarantee that he hits. However...Fields flat-out didn't hit.

The decision to move on from him was a total no-brainer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 31919
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:33 pm    Post subject:

The Eagles have traded Haason Reddick to the Jets for a conditional 2026 3rd Round pick that would turn into a 2nd rounder if Reddick plays over 67.5% of the snaps this year. This is an interesting outcome because the Eagles signed former Jets pass rusher Bryce Huff in free agency, and now the Eagles are sending the Jets Reddick. Reddick is probably the better and more accomplished player, but Huff is younger, and the Eagles are getting draft compensation out of it. We'll see if the Jets give Reddick an extension now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 47581

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:19 am    Post subject:

Bills trade disgruntled WR Stefon Diggs to the Houston Texans.

Watch out for the Texans going forward, I like what they are cooking.
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 31919
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:41 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Bills trade disgruntled WR Stefon Diggs to the Houston Texans.

Watch out for the Texans going forward, I like what they are cooking.


I knew the Diggs vibes were off in Buffalo, but I still thought he would stick on their team for one more year because of the dead cap hit that they are now incurring. $31MM in dead money! For a supposed contender, that's really a lot of money to eat. It means that they are even more likely to pick a 1st Round WR now.

And yes, the Texans are building quite a roster on both sides of the ball. And while Buffalo is eating $31MM in dead money from Diggs not being on their roster this year, the Texans are only incurring a $19MM cap charge for Diggs this year. And get this: if they cut or trade him before the start of next season, he leaves behind ZERO dead money. And if they keep him, the cap hits will still be below $20MM going forward. And after trading the #23 overall pick to Minnesota in that deal and getting back #42 and a '25 2nd, they have used that '25 2nd to acquire Diggs. So essentially, they moved down 19 spots in the draft and added Diggs to their team, all at a reasonable cap hit. Nick Caserio is doin' work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 333, 334, 335
Page 335 of 335
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB