Mock Draft/NFL Draft discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:46 pm    Post subject:

I love Ladd McConkey for the Chargers. I had him going 33rd in my penultimate mock but ended up dropping him to the mid-2nd when it emerged that some teams had back/ankle concerns on him, but I absolutely love this player. He is anything but the "gritty slot receiver" stereotype that you so often see for white receivers. He ran a 4.39 40 and has great quicks and is an awesome route-runner. Can play inside or outside, and will probably get a lot of slot snaps and effectively operate as Herbert's slot receiver a la Keenan Allen.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:07 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I love Ladd McConkey for the Chargers. I had him going 33rd in my penultimate mock but ended up dropping him to the mid-2nd when it emerged that some teams had back/ankle concerns on him, but I absolutely love this player. He is anything but the "gritty slot receiver" stereotype that you so often see for white receivers. He ran a 4.39 40 and has great quicks and is an awesome route-runner. Can play inside or outside, and will probably get a lot of slot snaps and effectively operate as Herbert's slot receiver a la Keenan Allen.

McConkey could do well as a slot receiver, but the Chargers badly need a legit WR1. I don't know how they will get one.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:27 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

McConkey could do well as a slot receiver, but the Chargers badly need a legit WR1. I don't know how they will get one.

McConkey is going to be heavily-targeted. Johnston was drafted to be the possible eventual alpha X receiver, but of course that was the prior regime. Of course, Harbaugh/Hortiz are trying to build it up, so you can't force the X receiver if you liked McConkey more than any of the possible X receivers such as Adonai Mitchell. I listened to Hortiz and Harbaugh's post-Round 1 presser last night and Hortiz made it very clear that they believe in a Ravens-like best player available approach.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Chargers get another good one with LB Junior Colson, someone I had going in the 2nd Round. Harbaugh gets a Michigan man! I'm impressed with Hortiz/Harbaugh so far. Three very solid additions so far.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:02 am    Post subject:

Loved what my Chargers did last night, thought they got good value on both picks.

Some other teams I noticed:
Rams - Fiske to add to Jared Verse and I like what they’re doing to rebuild their defense. Must admit, I do like Blake Corum too.

Eagles - They got good value in round 1 with Mitchell, then doubled down in the secondary to get DeJean in round 2, well played.

Raiders - Thought the JPJ selection was a good one, then Telesco does what he did every year with us and spends the third rounder on a day 3 reach

Falcons - Again, weird move, to trade up, which at the time I assumed would be for Newton, then to reach for a player who most would think is not as good.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:54 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Loved what my Chargers did last night, thought they got good value on both picks.

Some other teams I noticed:
Rams - Fiske to add to Jared Verse and I like what they’re doing to rebuild their defense. Must admit, I do like Blake Corum too.

Eagles - They got good value in round 1 with Mitchell, then doubled down in the secondary to get DeJean in round 2, well played.

Raiders - Thought the JPJ selection was a good one, then Telesco does what he did every year with us and spends the third rounder on a day 3 reach

Falcons - Again, weird move, to trade up, which at the time I assumed would be for Newton, then to reach for a player who most would think is not as good.

Agree on all points.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:44 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Quinton Johnston needs to show he belongs in the league this season. He was atrocious last year but maybe he will at least somewhat live up to his draft position this year.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:46 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Chargers get another good one with LB Junior Colson, someone I had going in the 2nd Round. Harbaugh gets a Michigan man! I'm impressed with Hortiz/Harbaugh so far. Three very solid additions so far.

Chargers finally have people who know what they are doing, I like all 3 picks so far....all of them will be big contributors
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:33 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Chargers finally have people who know what they are doing, I like all 3 picks so far....all of them will be big contributors

Draft guru Thor Nystrom loves the Chargers' 6th Round RB from Troy, Kimani Vidal. Comps him to Jaylen Warren and thinks he could be their starter this year. Although I thought their first 5th round CB was a reach, they were then able to get CB Cam Hart from Notre Dame just a few picks later, which was a steal. They've helped themselves this week for sure.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:23 pm    Post subject:

The Chargers get Brenden Rice, Jerry's son, in the 7th Round. I thought he should have gone much sooner. Good size, makes contested catches, shows good deep speed once he builds up, tracks the ball well, has a nose for the end zone. Doesn't have sudden burst or quicks but given the overall package and bloodlines, I'm surprised he lasted that long.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:45 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

I McConkey was second on my wish list had NE taken a WR. I thought Pearson was still going to be on the board, but Buffalo snatched him up at #32. I was pretty disappointed that NE traded-out, I'm not thrilled with the Ja’Lynn Polk selection, especially with Adonai Mitchell being available.

To be honest, I never studied Polk. I took a quick peek at his profile and thought he looked like a third-rounder. His profile resonates N'Keal Harry, another contested-catch WR who couldn't gain separation. I hope he's a smart route runner, unlike Harry who was a dunce.

And I hope that OT selection works out, it was just plain weird. Caedan Wallace was projected as a fifth or sixth-rounder. Kiran Amegadjie was still on the board, and though it will take time to develop him, he's a LT starter prospect. Wallace is more of a RT or OG. The best OLineman the Patriots had last season was the LT Trent Brown, who wore out his welcome. There's a massive hole at LT. NE will have to devote it's first round pick to a LT next season, and pray that he's a starter as that is when Drake Maye is slated to play behind center. I'm not a fan of that sort of planning.

I'm not happy with the NE franchise. They still don't have an official GM, and they didn't hire an outsider to supplement their current scouting infrastructure, which given the stakes, was stupid. While Belichick is an easy and deserving target, Bill didn't select the likes of Cole Strange or Tyquan Thornton without input from Eric Wolf, the current acting GM. In fact, Belichick tossed Wolf under the bus this past season for the poor drafts. In other words, Bill always had the final word, but the current scouting group were also his hires. This would have been a good time to clean house.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:26 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I McConkey was second on my wish list had NE taken a WR. I thought Pearson was still going to be on the board, but Buffalo snatched him up at #32. I was pretty disappointed that NE traded-out, I'm not thrilled with the Ja’Lynn Polk selection, especially with Adonai Mitchell being available.

To be honest, I never studied Polk. I took a quick peek at his profile and thought he looked like a third-rounder. His profile resonates N'Keal Harry, another contested-catch WR who couldn't gain separation. I hope he's a smart route runner, unlike Harry who was a dunce.

And I hope that OT selection works out, it was just plain weird. Caedan Wallace was projected as a fifth or sixth-rounder. Kiran Amegadjie was still on the board, and though it will take time to develop him, he's a LT starter prospect. Wallace is more of a RT or OG. The best OLineman the Patriots had last season was the LT Trent Brown, who wore out his welcome. There's a massive hole at LT. NE will have to devote it's first round pick to a LT next season, and pray that he's a starter as that is when Drake Maye is slated to play behind center. I'm not a fan of that sort of planning.

I'm not happy with the NE franchise. They still don't have an official GM, and they didn't hire an outsider to supplement their current scouting infrastructure, which given the stakes, was stupid. While Belichick is an easy and deserving target, Bill didn't select the likes of Cole Strange or Tyquan Thornton without input from Eric Wolf, the current acting GM. In fact, Belichick tossed Wolf under the bus this past season for the poor drafts. In other words, Bill always had the final word, but the current scouting group were also his hires. This would have been a good time to clean house.

I agree with you on this. I didn't like NE's draft at all. Of course, if Maye turns out to be a franchise QB, that's pretty much all that will be remembered from this class. But I'm with you on most of this. I didn't like Polk at 37; when McMillan was healthy over the past 2 seasons, Polk was the clear #3 WR on that team, and he went 55 picks later. I thought the OL's were clear reaches, too.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:10 pm    Post subject:

In the good old days when Dante Scarnecchia was OL coach, NE did a great job of drafting and developing picks. The OLine now is the worst in the NFL and I don't see how Caedan Wallace or Layden Robinson are going to change that. Wallace might allow Onwenu to return to his natural position at OG, that is my optimistic hope.

I don't get the need to draft Joe Milton. He can throw the ball through a brick wall, providing that the brick wall is within 10 yards. Any further out and he'll miss it. At that point in the draft NE should have been looking at overlooked, small school players with traits, such as slot CBs or CBs with straight-line speed for conversion to FS. Just a weird pick among many weird picks.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:35 pm    Post subject:

The Dolphins had a nice draft.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:31 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
The Dolphins had a nice draft.

Yeah I thought they did well. I can't say I was a fan of trading the '25 3rd rounder to move up and pick yet another speedy RB, but I guess since I happen to love the player, I can see why they wanted to do it. And both Mostert and Achane have been injury-prone. Perhaps they envision an Achane-Wright tandem in 2025.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: